The Gymnotus Knives

1. Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Two of my favorite species of Knife fish.(That I have owned):;rocker
    Carapo Knife (Gymnotus carapo) and Zebra Knife (Gymnotus pedanopterus). ;D
    I have had the Zebra since August of 09 and the Carapo in December of 09. Zebra is about 6", Carapo is about 8".

Attached Files:

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful fish! i'm quite enamoured with knives myself. i have an african and would like to get a BGK for a 90 gallon im getting. id also like to get a centepede for a 55 community tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Thanks!
    I had a BGK with an African Knife, until the African passed from infection... anyway, be careful with the Centipede Knife. Very... 'delicate' species of Knife. Mine was picked on by Neons, lol. And the water has to be perfect; water lvls, temp, etc.

4. Jaysee

I am upgrading my 45 to a 55, which will have a gbr pair, a pearl gourami pair, dwarf neon rainbows, gold barbs and angelicus loaches. water quality is not an issue. if the centipede is not a good choice (not much info available), is there another?

5. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

It does sound like the Centipede would get picked on. Plus they are very hard to feed, making the smaller the tank the better. ;)
    I could only get mine to eat bloodworms, and it had to be at night, all lights off... a group of Glass Knives might work... but it would have to be a group, 3+... nothing else common I can think of that would work... unless you can find a Brown Ghost Knife (Not the Black, the Brown ;)). That would work also, but I haven't found any around here before...

6. Jaysee

The glass knife isnt really available around here, and i havent seen them on aquabid.

what size tank is ideal for the centipede?

thanks for your advice.

7. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

No problem, advice on Knives is what I do best, lol.
    IMO, a 20-Gallon would be ideal. Easier to feed, and they are not the best to be put with other fish, seems how they would probably eat the Knives food, or pick on it. They get to a full grown length of 8" but 5-6" is a more common size in captivity. Plus they play dead all day, lol. Not the best Knife to watch. ;)
    I do have a video of the one I used to have if you are interested.

8. Jaysee

I was looking at them because of their size. the glass stays small too, right? a group of 3 would work in the 55 community?

i want to put a few pictus in the 90 gallon with a bgk. any problem?

9. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

I see what you mean. ;)
    Glass Knives can get largish. Female 8", males 18", head to tail. (Very long tail) Three would work in a 55-Gallon.

And you shouldn't have any issues between the Pictus and BGK. I didn't seem to have any issues with mine. :)

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Hoyo,

You have some beautiful fish there! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. I'm a bit concerned about the white spots on the fish and the possibility of ICH. The spots are particularly noticeable in photos 3 and 4.
    Ken

11. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Good morning aquarist,
    Thank you, and this is the sand from the tank sticking to them. ;)

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Whew! Glad to hear it! Thanks for responding.
    Ken

13. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

great pics!!!!! Ive never seen those types before!!!!

14. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing them.

15. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

Haha, yep. Haven't ich in awhile, which is a surprise. ;)
    Thanks you, and they are...'fairly' rare to come across. Which why I jumped right on them when I saw them for sale, lol.

Thank you, and no problem. I have a lot more to share yet, lol. I'll see about getting more pics up in a different thread later. ;)

Hopefully getting a new Knife or two for my Birthday, coming up soon. Nothing like a new Knifefish for your B-day, lol.

16. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Thanks for sharing your pictures, I have never seen knife fish before.
    The one shot (top right I believe) looks to me like he's smiling! But I can be silly that way.:)

17. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

They are fairly hard to come across. ;)
    And I agree with the smiling pic, lol. It's just how their mouth's are shaped though. :)

18. 2

2focusd New Member Member

I've always been fascinated by knife fish and have wanted to buy a BGK for quite some time, and hopefully I'll get one someday when I get a bigger tank :)

-Brian

19. OP
    OP
    Hoyo12

Hoyo12 New Member Member

You know, if you were to purchase a BGK around... 4" or so, it will take YEARS for it to get to its full grown captive size of 20"? They slow down their growth rate once they hit 8". So they would do fine in a 55-Gallon for quite some time. ;)

20. Jaysee

one thing ive noticed watching my african knife is that they are incredibly manuverable - moreso than any other fish i have. im thinking because of that they can live better in a smaller tank, where a different fish of similar size would not