The Grand Plan. Any suggestions/corrections are more than welcome.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shorty, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ShortyValued MemberMember

As some of you may know I kept tropical fish a while back but lost everything in a house fire. It took me a while to decide to come back to the hobby - and even in that short space of time a heck of a lot has changed.

I have a small 68 litre hex tank and now I also have a 210 litre tank.

So far my fish are in the hex awaiting the big tank to fishless cycle - and after a small disaster of the ammonia bottle ending up in the big tank (due to my cat being a total pain in the backside) the cycle has settled some and I can now keep on with the 5ppm per day to get it back on track :)

Anyway: I currently have: 3 Cory's, 3 platys, 6 Harlie's and 3 guppy's.

Now my plan is to move the fish into the big tank and add the following:

3 more guppy's (using the 1male to 2 female) making the total guppy's 6, 2 male 4 female
    I want a bristle nosed plec
    6 neons
    6 cherry barbs
    6 glowlights

The big question is. will this overstock the 210 litre (about 55 us gallons) I used the thinkfish community creator and that still reckons on me having space left - but I know that isn't the most reliable thing in the world for stocking tanks by.

Then of course I am left with the small hex tank - thats about 15 us gallons I think?

I wanted in there a bristle nosed plec and a Betta.

Please feel free to advise or suggest anything for this master plan, nothing is set in stone as the only fish I have so far are those in my sig, so I am not committed to anything just yet, and of course the large tank is yet to complete the cycle so there is plenty of time for me to change things.

Thanks in advance, I know you guys and girlie's wont let me down - because you haven't so far :)

2. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I would think the new fish you plan to add plus the ones you already have would put you at the limit for a 55 gal. tank. You have to consider that there will be alot of mating going on. :)

3. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I didn't know you lost everything in a fire house. I am very sorry to hear this :( How many tanks, how large they were, and what kinds of fish did you have before? Did they all get burned too? Fishies burned to death in a fire? You didn't lose any other pets, right? And nothing happened to you and your loved ones, right? Sorry to hear this once again :(

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, sorry to hear about that! :'(
    Instead of the Bristlenose, why not getting 3 or 4 Otos? They will do just as good a job of eating algae but won't take up a room.

5. ShortyValued MemberMember

We lost 8 tanks, 3 community - neons, cardinals, a sucking loach (I know I know it shouldn't have been in there), we had some lemon tetras (not dyed - I believe they are a natural colouring) etc...
    My partners Marine tank - I had very little to do with this, I just liked the pretty coloured fish.
    My partners discus tank - Again I didn't know much about these, but they were pretty.
    3 Betta tanks, 1x 10g with 3 females in, and 2 x 5 gals with a male in each one.

The 3 community tanks were my area, I had to read a lot to learn about what to do and I looked after them. I may have made some seriuos errors in stocking once or twice but for the most part the tanks were beautiful. It has taken a while for me to come back to it though.

We were both fine, and we didn't lose anything but the fish. I still feel guilty that I couldn't go back in for them. Neither of us suffered more than a few burns that were superficial.

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'm so sorry! I would be devastated if I lost all my fish! :'( :'(

Oops, meant to say "won't take up as much room" ::)

7. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Lol :D
    Yeah, we have some fish in our living room, we turned it into a tank...

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

9. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Storty ... poor fish :'( Knowing myself, and how much I love animals, I'd feel so devastated to lose so many tanks, so many fish, and just ... so much of everything. It takes so much time and commitment to care for tanks and fish, and to lose all of this is like losing some great work you've done. But I'd certainly never give up. I'd be getting new tanks and fish as soon as I recovered and were able to. One last thing, I can't imagine what it must have felt like for fish being burned alive, especially that they're creatures living in water. Fire is a deadly opposite of water. It's terrible :'(

10. ShortyValued MemberMember

I try very hard to convince myself that they died quickly :( Otherwise I would never sleep at night after what happened. We weren't allowed to go back in for them, I had to be held back by one of the firemen because I just wanted to run in and grab as many in a bucket as I could :( It was an awful feeling, I asked the firemen if they could get them but it was too late, the fire started so quickly and by the time me and my partner woke up, I only woke up because I was coughing and feeling sick (it was smoke inhilation) and I was barely able to wake Mark, we could have both died in bed :( The house was a right off, nothing was saveable fish or possessions, although I don#t care about the material things, just my poor little buddies :(

But, I have moved on (you have to). and I decided it was high time I got back with the buddies I missed so much. I have a new place (well not so new anymore) and I started my life over :) So come on guys and gals, get your thinking caps on and help me get this community tank up and running :)

11. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

That's the spirit Shorty :) I wish you best of luck with your new home and new buddies :) You're absolutely right - the material things are nothing when compared to human (and animal) life. The most important thing is that you and your partner are well. Of course, it would be great if your fish were saved - but obviously it was too late. There is nothing you could do. However, I think I'd do the same if I had a fire in my house. That is, I'd run and try to save as many fish as I could; plus any other pets that were left in the fire. I know I'd do it, probably even if the fire was really bad. I love them all too much. Anyway, Shorty, it's in the past now and it's probably not too healthy to dwell on it too much, especially that it wasn't your fault and that nothing could have been done. So, you're right :) Focus on your new life now :) GOOD LUCK!

12. ShortyValued MemberMember

Thank you all for your kind words :)

Now - back to stocking my big tank :) I have pretty much decided to get a make Betta for the little tank and maybe some corys and a bristlenose catfish :)

Just who can I add into the large tank? How about a trio of cherry barbs? Some more cory's and perhaps a dwarf gourami? Sound good?

13. LOULOUValued MemberMember

hi shorty just read about the fire, sad news, have you seen dalmation mollies and clown loaches ? they are both pretty fish, i told my partner that i wanted different shape fish and lots of different colours, cos sarah that lives across the road from me has neons danios and tetras in her tank and to me they all look the same and very dull. its all personal choice of course, i just like shape and colour, what about angel fish. they are lovely to. also on some of your posts you write 1fs, what does that mean? im a bit thick, lol. ;)

14. ShortyValued MemberMember

My tank isn't really tall enough for angels, although they are beautiful, I love neons :) they rock. Lfs means local fish store :)

I might try clown loaches though, its an idea :)

15. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

16. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Both tanks sound fine. The barbs need to be kept in shoals, not trios. Have fun with your fishies! ;)

17. ShortyValued MemberMember

Bum, everything I have read says cherrys can be kept in 3's, but no less :( Stupid rubbish websites. I will stick to here for the info from now on :) lol, I am soooo excited...................Not long now I hope.