20 Gallon Tank The Gourami Garden

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Hello all I am new to this whole keeping fish but that’s okay I want a place to post a journal like thread for my aquariums.
This thread is a journal for my 20 gallon long tank. It’s equipped with filter, heater, two bubble walls, gravel of various types, cermic, acrylic decoration, driftwood, stones and is 60% planted. There is three lily bulbs I am having trouble getting to bloom I turned them over gave them more and less light, it’s been about two weeks.
I have one idea that I’m not sure of my filter has two sections to have filter pads. I wonder if I plant chia seeds on one and grow chia sprouts in part of my filter. If it works I’ll post photos.
On to the inhabitants, I currently only have three honey(fire) gourami in this tank. One is for sure a little male, the other two I believe are girls. I have named them Leo, Pineapple and Mango. I have attached photos of the tank before the bubble equipment was add and photos of Leo and pineapple.
 
Best Answer - View TheFISH12's answer

babyfish

Member
Welcome! Beautiful tank! Beautiful fish! Good luck with your plants. Hope you enjoy it here.
 

taj13

Member
Beautiful plants and fish!
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
2/14/2021-2/16/2021

We bought a 100w Hydor heater with an adjustable heat dial. We installed it and waited for it to come up to temp. I added more plants and twisty wood to provide hides for the three some of gourami. When I added the boy to the tank my girl Pineapple took a liking to him immediately. Mango is a bit shy. We did a 25% water change after the boy was settled. We added bubble walls to either side of the tank to create a river like flow. Then the next day we did another 25% water change with distilled water, as we needed cycled water to change the 15gal. we also replaced the filter pad and are going to place its old one in the other tan

2/17/2021

Today I’d like to talk about stocking ideas as I’m looking to add corydoras to this tank. Specifically Corydoras Similis other wise known as smudge spot or violet Cory catfish. I know they like groups of 6 or more so I was looking to only get 6.
currently in the tank are three honey(fire) gourami that are currently 2 in out of their normal 3 in range and two snails.

would 6 violet Cory be too crowded in my 20gal long with just the gouramis?
 

Brp933

Member
Crowlbearfishing said:
2/14/2021-2/16/2021

We bought a 100w Hydor heater with an adjustable heat dial. We installed it and waited for it to come up to temp. I added more plants and twisty wood to provide hides for the three some of gourami. When I added the boy to the tank my girl Pineapple took a liking to him immediately. Mango is a bit shy. We did a 25% water change after the boy was settled. We added bubble walls to either side of the tank to create a river like flow. Then the next day we did another 25% water change with distilled water, as we needed cycled water to change the 15gal. we also replaced the filter pad and are going to place its old one in the other tan

2/17/2021

Today I’d like to talk about stocking ideas as I’m looking to add corydoras to this tank. Specifically Corydoras Similis other wise known as smudge spot or violet Cory catfish. I know they like groups of 6 or more so I was looking to only get 6.
currently in the tank are three honey(fire) gourami that are currently 2 in out of their normal 3 in range and two snails.

would 6 violet Cory be too crowded in my 20gal long with just the gouramis?
i don't see why it would. Especially if you only stick to six, keep up with maintenance and have strong filtration. Others on here might have a better answer but imo i don't think six small corydoras will overstock your tank with only 3 honey gourami. Beautiful tank btw! And fish! Best of luck to you!
 

SnookusFish

Member
Dont do corys, you have large gravel they like sand. Your tank appears to be a 20g tall not a long.gouramis dont like a lot of water flow and with 2 airstones they probably won't he able to build a nest. Cycled water isn't a thing. You shouldn't have done a water change with distilled water, keep the water source the same, aka always tap as changes in water paramaters will stress your fish
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
SnookusFish said:
Dont do corys, you have large gravel they like sand. Your tank appears to be a 20g tall not a long.gouramis dont like a lot of water flow and with 2 airstones they probably won't he able to build a nest. Cycled water isn't a thing. You shouldn't have done a water change with distilled water, keep the water source the same, aka always tap as changes in water paramaters will stress your fish
1.I can add sand and control the air flow in the tank(minimal movement in two tanks)
2.thank you for the correction on my tank type I’ll fix that on my profile.
3. Care to educate me on your research about cycled water?
4. we needed to soften our tap water because it didn’t match the parameters of some of our fish. I was advised distilled water treated with prime would bring down our hardness. Our fish were stressed in our treated tap water.
 

SnookusFish

Member
You will need to cover all of your gravel with sand, the beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces not in the water column so just moving across media would be enough. Yes, distilled water will make it softer but now you will have to match that mix of tap x distilled water every time you do a water change which should he once a week and 50%
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
SnookusFish said:
You will need to cover all of your gravel with sand, the beneficial bacteria lives on surfaces not in the water column so just moving across media would be enough. Yes, distilled water will make it softer but now you will have to match that mix of tap x distilled water every time you do a water change which should he once a week and 50%
how much sand and can I get more details into why? I have many surfaces in this tank that good bacteria is already growing in both my tanks one just is reading ideal conditions(this tank) and my 15 gallon is wonky still.

I may have confused you when I said Cycled water it refers to my water change bucket that is treated tap water that is being run through a filter system that was started with quick start and has sea shells in it being treated for decor.

Im also going to have to do the distilled/treated tap for my 15gal as my tetras prefer soft water.

edit:also the filter pad from the 20 gal is switched over to the 15 gallon.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Well, upon observing the trio I’ve noticed lots of chasing and the two females did the mating dance with each other and are ignoring the advances from the boy

is it possible I have a male that just isn’t showing his mating colors and looks like a female?

the parameters in the tank are perfect minus the height of the water. I provided floating cover and a breeder net.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
I removed the aggressive fish and added three snails. I’m feeding the snails algae wafers so they don’t starve themselves. Right now my only fish are two honey gourami
 

Chris1212

Member
If you can get them and don't mind slowly acclimating them to your water, I think hillstream loaches would be great for your tank. They love rocks and hardscape. I added two to my community tank. One is a bit shy and has some preferred spots to hang out but the other swims all over the tank and is really funny to watch.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Chris1212 said:
If you can get them and don't mind slowly acclimating them to your water, I think hillstream loaches would be great for your tank. They love rocks and hardscape. I added two to my community tank. One is a bit shy and has some preferred spots to hang out but the other swims all over the tank and is really funny to watch.
my only concern with that is how big do they get full grown? I’m trying to keep my gourami as the boss fish in the tank. They look cool! I also added a fine layer of aragonite sand to the bottom of the tank
5BEA3F49-FDAC-4448-A5A5-1D578E175823.jpeg
 

Chris1212

Member
Hillstream loaches get only a few inches and are completely peaceful. Mine chase each other but never really interact with my gourami, tetras, or peacock gudgeons.
 

jake37

Member
You said 20 long but that distinctly looks like a 20 high.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Chris1212 said:
Hillstream loaches get only a few inches and are completely peaceful. Mine chase each other but never really interact with my gourami, tetras, or peacock gudgeons.
How do they do in your tank as gourami are tropical fish and loaches like cooler water? Are they content?
jake37 said:
You said 20 long but that distinctly looks like a 20 high.
I was already corrected it is a 20 gal tall. I just don’t know how to edit posts from when I first joined.
 

Chris1212

Member
Everyone seems content and thriving in 75-76 degrees. If you google hillstream loaches it is all about cooler water and needing fast flow but there are plenty of videos and writeups from respected folks in the hobby that say sure that might be the ideal/native environment but if you acclimate them properly, they can still flourish in other environments.
Mne also is a 20g tall and looks similar to yours (black rim). How come you don't have it filled up all the way? I've got mine topped up because the water sound drives me nuts if it gets too low.
 

TheFISH12

Member
Chris1212 said:
Everyone seems content and thriving in 75-76 degrees. If you google hillstream loaches it is all about cooler water and needing fast flow but there are plenty of videos and writeups from respected folks in the hobby that say sure that might be the ideal/native environment but if you acclimate them properly, they can still flourish in other environments.
Mne also is a 20g tall and looks similar to yours (black rim). How come you don't have it filled up all the way? I've got mine topped up because the water sound drives me nuts if it gets too low.
Especially if you get them from a place that keeps them in less flow then they might be fairly used to it already.
 

jake37

Member
My understanding is long term it is unhealthy and they should be kept in a decent flow but perhaps i am mistaken.

TheFISH12 said:
Especially if you get them from a place that keeps them in less flow then they might be fairly used to it already.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Lucky for me this 20gal tall tank is equipped with two air rods that I have control over the flow in the tank. No flow- moderate flow.
2D367276-4BA8-4996-B21E-3DD4216A4AC9.jpeg

A2420C92-53DA-4BCD-A088-FE12D279C896.jpeg

752A6A0A-CDBB-42D2-B9C6-BDE51E7F9D12.jpeg
 

Chris1212

Member
Cool setup.
 
  • Thread Starter

Crowlbearfishing

Member
Chris1212 said:
Cool setup.
Thank you! I’m having fun learning new things and keeping fish.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom