The Garra

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

This blog will be to monitor the growth and development of my newest addition, an inch long Panda Garra.

Despite my researching, there is very little varying information out there about these guys, so this'll be a learning process the whole way though. I'm unsure if they are schoolers, or solitary fish, but I think I will be getting a few more, regardless. Some sites say they like to be in groups, others don't say at all. I'm also hoping he'll develop some red in his fins, like most of the pictures show. If anyone has any info on them, please share!

He's real small, and spunky and determined. I've given him and the shrimp he's QT'd with some bloodworms, and even thought he can't quite figure out how to eat them, but he's not giving up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHlKxjZ-l68&feature=youtu.be

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I thought that was fish poop :;laughing

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Well, I guess thats not too far out of a thought LOL My guppies used to poop bright red when they got red colored food :rolleyes:

Also, he's figured out how to get the red juice out from inside them, and his colors drastically darkened :O Now that he's full, and not eating anymore, he has dulled back down some.

4. s

stashattack Valued Member Member

He's a cutie! Look at him go :p He'll figure out how to nom on them eventually :)

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

He's starting to, yeah lol Its funny watching him. While he's eating, he'll get real dark grey, almost a charcoal, and then when he's not, he lightens back.

I don't like how young he is, but if he wasn't this small, I wouldn't have been able to get him, so its a bit a two sided situation LOL

6. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Update on the little guy:

Great colors today, nice and dark, and starting to show the *slightest* bit of pink in his tail!!! =D He's eating some ZooMed Aquatic Shrimp, Crab and Lobster Food pellets. Pics in a bit :)

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

awesome, he looks like a cute little guy.

8. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

He really is sure cute! I've got a vid that YouTube needs to hurry up and let go through (uploaded through iMovie), and I've got those pics I still need to put up lol

9. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Interesting looking fella! Best of luck with him, I'll be watching this progress. :)

Also: I'm proud of you for using a container Made In USA!

10. Dino

Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Amazing cute little guy!! Looking forward to watching him grow!

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks! You should google them and see what they look like full grown. EVEN CUTER!!!

LOL Its just a PetCo version of a Kritter Keeper. I doubt that they'd make a trip over-sea's as it is! Its not quite as sturdy as an actual Kritter Keeper. But I do try to buy things that are made in the US and/or from companies that don't endorse much animal testing. I'm also trying to get into more organic and natural things, but on my college type budget, its not always possible @.@

Thanks, me too! =D

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

awesome, Go apple! lol

looking forward to learning about this guy, he looks interesting.

14. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

It usually doesn't take so long to show up on YouTube, but its been several hours, so I just uploaded it out-right LOL Just need to get some music to it...

15. ZeeZ

Have you tried putting your foot in or your hand in to see if he eats your dead skin and improves your complexion yet? :p

16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Uuuuuuh no. Why don't you try first :p

17. ZeeZ

Were you aware that's what they're used as in Turkey?

18. roy

roy Valued Member Member

i got one of these given to me the other week (my friend moved back to Scotland), definately a nice looking fish, mine does well on its own, nobody bothers him and he just swims around up and down the glass april 2012 077.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I figured they were used along those lines when you said to stick my feet in there :p

Awww, he's cute!

20. ZeeZ