The future of my sorority

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hi guys, just wanted to discuss the future of my sorority. Since making a thread to introduce all 10 original members, 5 of them have died. I'm not shocked, they were "secondhand" Bettas and fairly old by Betta standards and I hope I gave them a nice environment while they were with me.

Now though I find myself at a crossroads. Do I buy more females and continue the sorority? Or do I let them pass naturally and either allow the RCS to take over OR get myself a Pea Puffer?

2. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'd keep your sorority going. I've seen far too many people pass on beautiful females. Platinum and White crowns, an American themed Koi, Plakets, and many more. They need good homes too.

My opinion anyway

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Keep it going! Your tank is beautiful, I'm sure some more girlies would love it.

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

+1

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks guys, I think that's what I wanted to hear:)

6. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Keep it going. Like Grimund said there are so many types to choose from it will be fun choosing what you like. Post pics of choices and we can critique.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

While the population is low perhaps I can find the time to work on the 26 gallon. Still waiting on parts for the lid I'll have to custom build though. And the light. And the filter...;)

8. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Get more girls!

9. Grimund Well Known Member Member

Custom? Separate tank or sorority?

10. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Do you have plans for the 26? You could always move the shrimp in there so you could actually see them and then, with your luck, rescue a few more girls. Definitely sorry for your losses, but I know you gave them an awesome home.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's a custom tank built by a pet shop owner some years ago. Long since retired and clearing out storage and I bought this tank because it was so cool! 12" tall and wide but 42" long;D

12. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

That's a really neat size. Would make a great centerpiece for a long dining table

13. Grimund Well Known Member Member

New sorority tank? I like the kitchen table idea, just don't serve fish sticks

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I wasn't planning on a second sorority tank, just an upgrade. Though now that you mention it...

Anywho, picked up a couple of new girls today! I felt I had to because interestingly, despite all the space and plants, just having fewer girls resulted in a rise in aggressive incidents. I guess sorority girls act as their own dithers!

They're acclimating to the new water source now, you'll see them once they've settled in and coloured up;)

15. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

I loved seeing your betta sorority. I love dwarf puffers but the betta tank is awesome and very interesting. I am living vicariously through your tank lol

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

So many fish, so little time!:p

17. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Can't wait to see pics of the new little girls!

18. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

19. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

So pretty! I'll take video over pics any day. So awesome to see them interacting :)

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It is really cool! So much different from how I imagined it. I expected them to rip each other apart but their interactions are more subtle. I used to panic any time any 2 approached each other but now I know that most of their actions are symbolic more than anything and I can relax knowing they'll sort it out the best they can and that they'll avoid physical attack if at all possible. I provide them with cover and room and they take care of the rest:)