The Fungus Amongus

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently had a fish die of bloat about 2 weeks ago. I did a water change, about 20% and have been sporting aquarium salt now for over a year now. I have 3 other that recently have showed signs of fin rot which prompted another water change which I was planning of doing like a 20% water change every 3 days of so. Then adding salt. Today I now have another fish, a 4th that has body fungus. I've had luck a few times treating with tetra fungus guard which I have now started. Does anyone have any other suggestions to get ahead of this, and keeping this from happening? Water is; NH3 0.25, PH 6.6, NO2 0.25, NO3 5.0, temp is 78.8.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fact you have ammonia and nitrite in the water suggests the tank isn't fully cycled. I would do more and bigger water changes then follow a fish in cycle. As well as sorting your cycle regular water changes should help with the fungus. If your water isn't as good as it can be any treatment for fungus will be less effective.
I live in the UK where most meds. are not legally available so I use salt and sometimes pimafix with lots of water changes and usually that fixes it.
What fish do you keep? For many species a pH of 6.6 may be a little low. Is your pH stable?
Have you tested your tap water? Is that where the ammonia and nitrites are from?.

OP
MedicMike

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The tank is about 2 yrs old and has fully cycled. I’m not always on top of water changes as much as I should be. And I think that’s why my numbers creep up at times. Those were my latest numbers from 2 days ago before my latest water change so they should be close or even better now.

I use distilled water and the tank has been stable at 6.6 for the entirety of its life. I thought I had a problem before but found out my test kit went bad.

The tank is a South American cichlids tank but every once an a while It seems to go through something like this. Which is what I don’t want happening. The take is slightly overstocked because of aggression but besides that, nothing outside of just regular maintenance.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your pH should be OK for cichlids.
When treating for fungus, finrot and the like I would change at least 25-30 percent every couple of days.
If there is no ammonia and nitrite in the distilled water then your filter is not processing all the waste. Even without frequent water changes your filter should be able to handle the ammonia load. Water changes should be used to lower nitrates and will reduce ammonia and nitrites but unless you change water every day the ammonia and nitrites will return.
Keep changing water and sort your cycle as soon as you can.
Even low levels of ammonia stress the fish and this could be leaving them vunerable to fungus and bacteria.

OP
MedicMike

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, as far as how much salt to add. I have read anywhere from 1tbs per 3 gallons to 1tbs per gallon. This is depending on how aggressive you and the infection are. Also, a salinity of 1.005-1.009. Is this correct or something to shoot for? Anyone have an idea? I'd like someone who has some experience with this to chime in if that's worked in the past. I don't want to turn my tank into a saltwater tank, lol! As of last night I was about 1.003 after adding salt. The only fish that are in the tank are SA cichlids and plecos which I've read can handle salt treatments.

I'll also retest my water when I get home tomorrow morning to give updated levels.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had success in the past with 1.4 grams per litre. It's one of those issues where everyone had their own idea as to what's best and I can't say who's correct. My local fish shop told me years ago 1.4 g/L and it's what I've always done, it's worked OK for me so I've stuck with it. I may be doing the right thing, I might not. I'd like to hear from others what they do and what success they've had.

OP
MedicMike

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Heron, has that corrected you problems in the past? I'm interested what that comes out to grams per tablespoon. Thank you for your input by the way.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This has cured fish with fungul fin rot for me in the past . I have used it on my betta and on gouramies and it sorted the problem. I think it's about a level tablespoon per 2 gallons.

OP
MedicMike

MedicMike

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good to know. I did find a chart that talked about increasing from 1 tbs : 3 gal all the way down to a 1:1 ratio. The 1:1 would be for extreme cases but that would worry me to go that aggressive. I've spent a little time looking for what that would be specific gravity wise though. Still came up empty handed but I could do this myself with 1 of my distilled gallons though. Well see what tomorrow looks like.

New Threads