The frustrating and confusing world of air pumps...

CoryKat
I need help! I'm looking in to getting a new air pump because the one I have (Aquatop AP-40) is EXTREMELY LOUD. I currently have it running a small air pump in my 5 gallon tank. I've been looking online but I'm very confused as to what size I'd need. I would like the pump to be adjustable and quiet (preferably under 30 decibels). Do you have any suggestions (also what does AP-40 mean)?

Betta'sAnonymous
I have a couple of these from Aqueon. they are the quietest i have found! The tetra whisper i have isn't too bad as well.

Screenshot_20210223-194320_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Whitelightning
I have Tetra Whisper Aquarium Air Pump for a 5 gallon tank (it treats up to 10 gallons, but you can also get one for 40 gallons) and it's relatively quiet, but not silent. I'm able to sleep without it waking me up. It's also adjustable, so you can control the air flow/how many bubbles. Also, I don't think AP-40 means anything, I'm pretty sure it's just the name! Hope this helps!

CoryKat
Whitelightning said:
I have Tetra Whisper Aquarium Air Pump for a 5 gallon tank (it treats up to 10 gallons, but you can also get one for 40 gallons) and it's relatively quiet, but not silent. I'm able to sleep without it waking me up. It's also adjustable, so you can control the air flow/how many bubbles. Also, I don't think AP-40 means anything, I'm pretty sure it's just the name! Hope this helps!
Thank you for the replies! I also have a Tetra Whisper air pump, but it's not adjustable. Did you get yours online?

Whitelightning
CoryKat said:
Thank you for the replies! I also have a Tetra Whisper air pump, but it's not adjustable. Did you get yours online?
Of course! It’s not adjustable? I did get mine online and it came with a little black adjuster inside the package!

StarGirl
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have a couple of these from Aqueon. they are the quietest i have found! The tetra whisper i have isn't too bad as well.

Screenshot_20210223-194320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Would that run 2 sponge filters do you think?

GlennO
I have a small Whisper pump and it’s relatively quiet but not silent. The quietest pump I have is a Hpump similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Hpumps-Silent-Oxygen-Stone/dp/B0158FDHR4

It doesn’t use a traditional vibrating diaphragm and is almost silent. I only use it for aeration though, it may not be powerful enough for some applications.

Betta'sAnonymous
StarGirl said:
Would that run 2 sponge filters do you think?
The aqueon? I have done it before, but one wasn't very strong. They have several sizes in that line. The Whisper i have is rated for a 60 gal tank and it has 2 outputs.

Broggy
usb nano air pumps are around 35 db, which is incredibly quiet. about 10 bucks on aquarium co op.com slightly more expensive than you would think but they are awesome

CoryKat
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I'll go with a Tetra Whisper air pump and hopefully everything goes well!

Top Bottom