the food

Marcos

I am currently feeding brine shrimp to everything in my tank but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I thaw out a bunch of it and then feed them threw a syringe. after I get what I need I put it back in the fridge, not the freezer. I do this for days at a time. is this okay? How should I feed them? my anemones' are depending on it. they are already looking bad. thanks.

AshWolFF

Well saltwater and ESPECIALLY anemones is much harder to care for. Each individual species has a diet, there are herbivores, carnivores, omnivores. You should give a list of the fish you are keeping and research them thoroughly as each has a specific diet.

No fish should just get a plain brineshrimp diet. There are a lot of fish out there that need little to no protein in their diet and there are some that will enjoy this diet.

Anemones like Brineshrimp but its best to feed them other foods as well. I feed mine whole cockles, krill, mussel, squid...etc

Marcos

thank you but I think the anemone's are getting sick I can't tell. If they are digesting or if they are getting sick. I don't know what is making them sick. everything else seems to be fine.

AshWolFF

What fish are you keeping and what type of anemone?

Atomsk

I believe that anemones are really delicate animals that require perfect water conditions. If you regularly maintain your water then you can rule that out. Another thing is that they require a powerful light source. What kind of lighting do you have? I believe that you should feed them krill and small pieces of thawed fish such as silver sides.

AshWolFF

I know there are some anemones that like Live Rock to fix themselves in. I had 30 pounds of Live Rock, put my tentacle anemone in one of the holes though it moved around until he wedged himself in another hole. There are other anemones (bubble tips I believe) that like to feel "Surrounded" so putting them in a cove of dry/live rock would be good as well.

Marcos

the light is a 15watts actinic 420 puts out like a blueish nint.

Well I'm going to sleep I have school tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what happens. I moved them both but my Condy didn't like being on the rock and climbed off and the Sebea wouldn't stay so they are on the floor next to the live rock and they look happier already. Thanks

JessiNoel21

When you get home please test and tell me your test readings? Anemones are VERY sensitive to Nitrates and swings in the salinity and other lvls in thd tank.Ideally you want your Nitrates <5 and salinity 1.023 to 1.026 with the average being 1.025. Temp range they can handle is 73.5 to 80.5 but you should keep it at 76.5.

Another thing NEVER move your anemone you can do more harm than good they move themselves if they are not happy.

I know there are some anemones that like Live Rock to fix themselves in. I had 30 pounds of Live Rock, put my tentacle anemone in one of the holes though it moved around until he wedged himself in another hole. There are other anemones (bubble tips I believe) that like to feel "Surrounded" so putting them in a cove of dry/live rock would be good as well.

Anemones decide what they like I have learned with my two lol. My LTA loves to stay in the lower current area of my tank where's my BTA loves the highest flow of the tank and anemones will make their home WHEREVER they please my friend had to cover her power heads with sponges cuz hers kept trying to make its home there. My LTA even crawled into my overflow one day hence y I have needle mesh on it now. They very smart creatures.

the light is a 15watts actinic 420 puts out like a blueish nint.

Well I'm going to sleep I have school tomorrow so I'll let you guys know what happens. I moved them both but my Condy didn't like being on the rock and climbed off and the Sebea wouldn't stay so they are on the floor next to the live rock and they look happier already. Thanks

How long is the light strip ? And their diets are BB,Frozen ****, clams,mussels,krill,coepods, silvers,squid, frozen beefheart, frozen bloodworms, and you can give them NLS Thera A.

Marcos

thanks for all the info but when do you know if its to late to save. just transferred everything to a 55 gallon that I have been prepping and I lost a cleaner shrimp in the proses I also thing my cinnamon clown if not feeling to good. this salt water thing is hard. everything else is okay. the condy actualy looks happier but the sebae is still suckin (looking bad).

JessiNoel21

thanks for all the info but when do you know if its to late to save. just transferred everything to a 55 gallon that I have been prepping and I lost a cleaner shrimp in the proses I also thing my cinnamon clown if not feeling to good. this salt water thing is hard. everything else is okay. the condy actually looks happier but the sebae is still sucking (looking bad).

How did you acclimated them and how long? Did you match as close as you could to the salinity and temp? BTW what is your water source? And what date did you start the tank the one you just transfered everyone from?

Anemones well go into a ball if not feeling good or getting ready to purge their water(which is normal) if you could get a pic that would help.

Marcos

it opened up and everything seems to be okay now. Thank you I think he loves the new tank. What all should I have in there? I have a heater, and two filters, crushed coral and live rocks. the water is perfect and the temp and salisity is good too.

Mike

Your profile doesn't list a protein skimmer. I'd get one of those before anything else. If your lighting is only 15 watts it's not strong enough for your nems. I'd look to upgrade the lighting. They need higher levels of lighting like T5's, LED arrays or metal halides.

The sebae isn't considered one of the easier nems to keep either. Feed them small meaty pieces of marine foods every couple of days. Anemones can live for many decades or longer and do better in established tanks with the right equipment.

Also make sure any powerheads are covered or inaccessible because they have shredded many an anemone.

Marcos

thank you for the info unfortunately I found out the hard way about the filters but I did not know that the power heads did the same. I just got 8T 50/50 reef sun lights will those be good enough? would you recommend any type of protein skimmer for my 55 gal? Thanks again I'm learning a lot.

Mike

I'd look into T5's if you want to keep anemones.

Reef Octopus makes some good skimmers for decent prices. Aquacave has hang on the back skimmers:

Marcos

thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
coralbandit
  • Question
Replies