The first residents for the SW reef tank. Take a look. Important

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Reefdweller, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Wish these little guys luck. My first live fish addition since the tank was setup. Cute fellows huh?

DSC_0345.jpg DSC_0343.jpg

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Very cute!! I still haven't gotten my clowns yet :). But I did find a supplier that said he would give them to me for $10 so I guess it's worth the wait.

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Could not wait for my guys to grow up huh ;) jk(rogue) lol.
    They look good Reef ;) looks like you have one false and one true Percula clownfish :).

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Nice, cute photos.
    Itty bitty, teeny weeny 'lil clowns :D

It does appear that way, but I'm not so sure Jessi. I think they're probably both Perc's. Only real way to know is to count the dorsal spines though, or wait for them to mature a bit, and the true colouring come out.

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

How big do clowns get?

Very pretty fish reef!

6. ryanr

Depends on the species, but Perc's, Ocellaris generally 3-4"

:;du Thread moved to SW Fish & Tank Photos forum.

7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Oh wow, bigger than I thought lol I was going 2-2.5"

8. RogueAgent94

Nope! I'm still waiting LOL. How much longer?

9. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Naughty naughty professional salesman!:nono:

10. lollipopkiller

lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

cute clowns :)

11. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Thanks. They have both taken to the Anenome right away. I sit and watch them play in it. Its awesome because they are so cute the way they show the anenome love lol.. This to me is what makes the hobby so educational.. you do not just enjoy watching but you learn about so much of gods creatures.

12. OP
    OP
    Reefdweller

Help me out here a bit. Now what do you mean "false" and "true" This is something I am not familiar with.

13. RogueAgent94

From what a lot of people have told me the difference between false and true Perculas are that the false ones are tank raised instead of wildcaught. However, I believe they are wrong. True Perculas have a different scientific name than false Perculas. True Perculas are Amphiprion perculas while false Perculas are Amphiprion ocellaris. They're also found in different areas of the world. False perculas usually have more dorsal spines than trues. They also do not have the black bands around the white stripes which true perculas do. It looks like both your clowns have black bands so I'd say they're both true Percuals. But then again I'm not very well versed in this topic. I just pick up bits and pieces as I go along lol.

14. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Ahh some day i'll have a nice SW setup too! Love the fish!

15. ryanr

Rogue is spot on.

The term "True" percula has nothing to do with whether the fish is wild-caught or captive bred. It refers to the species Amphiprion Percula. Natively found in Northern Queensland (north-eastern Australia/GBR) and Melanesia (New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu).

The "False" percula is not a percula at all, it is a different species. Amphiprion Ocellaris. Natively found in Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Andaman Sea), Indo-Malayan Archipelago, Philippines, northwestern Australia; coast of Southeast Asia northwards to the Ryukyu Islands.

I think (and I speculate) that the Ocellaris was often sold as a Percula. The Percula hit the market first. The ocellaris is a little less territorial and a little hardier than the percula. My guess is that, because of the subtle differences between the two, that the trade was able to pass off the ocellaris as percula. Then those that were able to identify them properly, probably coined the term "that's a False Percula". Today the false perc is known as ocellaris.

Some of the subtle differences:
    Colouring: A. Percula typically has more bold jet-black markings, Ocellaris may have some black linings, but not as distinct.
    Dorsal Spines: A. Percula typically has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines/rays, A. Ocellaris typically has 11, rarely 10
    Dorsal Fin: A. Percula is shorter, more round. Ocellaris is taller.

Both have 3 similar white bands.

FYI: Nemo and Marlin (Finding Nemo) are A. Ocellaris ;)

EDIT: I might add, I think there is a grading/classification system for wild-caught vs captive bred. Or how far removed from the wild they are. Similar to the grading/classification system of Endlers.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  16. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Yes there is my female is a F1 and my male is a F3 which means my female's parents were wild caught plus my female is a mix between a True Percula and a Sebae clown. My male is the third generation to be raised in a tank he is a false Percula.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice