The 'find my iphone' app is brilliantly awful... Or something...

Everythingzen
Now, I'm sure if you have paid attention then you're aware that I have the kind of luck that writers couldn't dream up. If you haven't paid attention (and don't worry; I seldom do), then let me introduce myself. Hi, I'm Anna and my hobbies are fish keeping and making my life as difficult as I possibly can.

Last Thursday (or maybe Friday?) I lost my phone. Well, at least I think I did. I don't really remember. I know I went to the supermarket and definitely had it on the way there because I had to balance it with my insulin pump with one in each pocket so my shorts wouldn't be pulled down by the weight of them too unevenly. If I'm going to flash in public, it's got to be neat. Over the weekend I was busy demolishing parts of the house and figured I'd left it buried under some clean washing, or left it in one of the cars, etc. By yesterday I had looked and couldn't see it. Gave up. Rang it, it didn't sound at all in the house... This afternoon hub gets the brilliant idea of using his creepy stalker app, Find My iPhone, to locate it. I lost it when it showed my phone in some suburb about 40 minutes away!! We watched it travel to a shopping centre, then a residential address, and then finally another residential address where it appears to be in a car parked on the road where our prey seems to have retired for the night. It pinpoints locations to within a few metres, usually. Thanks to google maps and this creepy app, I now have the location of the person who has picked up my phone and not tried returning it, I have the address of a friend or associate if theirs, I have their car's make and model and can watch where they go as long as they take my phone with them!

I'm rather disturbed by the lengths technology has gone to remove privacy,
but that's neither here nor there at the moment. We were debating whether to drive to the address and ask for my phone, but given the suburb it is in, hub decided to ring the police assistance line to see what advice they could offer. Things began to get even weirder after this. It's now a police matter. The police had to come over to our house to talk. Hub showed them on his phone how he was watching them, and one of the cops said he had 'used this technology on people before'. they said they would investigate the address, see if they are POI (persons of interest) and whether they'd be best off arranging a warrant!

I just want my phone back! Instead, I've been stalking strangers on the Internet and now have the police involved!

Long story short, though, this app is priceless if you lose things a lot. Like me.

Dlondon95
Wow! Its probably a good thing you didn't go to get it. Who knows who might have had it.

Walky
haha, I can't even get mine to work! I should probably figure it out since I live on a college campus! Hope you get your phone back w/o too much trouble!

wisecrackerz
best of luck getting your phone back. similarly, there's a droid ap where, if you think your phone's been stolen, you can get your phone to emit an earsplitting scream. it sounds a little bit like what you'd imagine the photocopier from Office Space would sound like while it's being demolished. A friend of mine used this to pinpoint the person who'd stolen his phone (he's in highschool). Once the phone started screaming, everyone started looking at this person (out on a lawn), including my friend. He walked up to the girl, grabbed her purse, dumped it on the ground, and took his phone back, saying "girl, don't you DARE put MY phone in your UGLY purse!" hopefully the police will be more tactful. I'd alert your phone company though, so they don't rack up a bunch of charges on your plan!

James95
I have the same app on my iPhone. Creepy how technology can work. It's the only app that I allow location services (can be turned on/off in the settings). I like that the phone can be remotely wiped if the need ever arose.
The best part is the only way to completely disable the tracking abilities is to remove the phone battery- something you can't do with an iPhone

cletus
Keep us updated on getting it back. It'll be interesting to see if the cops get it back and arrest someone. Hopefully the charge will hold out and the battery won't die.

wisecrackerz
Yeah, that kinda creeps me out... I use a slightly different method: my phone is so old and crappy (a flip phone with no camera from ~ 5 or 6 years ago) that nobody would ever try to steal it

josh40996
Lol, I hope you get your phone back. I lost my ipod touch the other day and used the online version at icloud to find it, it turned out to still be in my house, so I sent it a message through the Find My iphone Feature to try and find it by the tone it gives when it recieves a message, and I found it in my room, turns out my brother had hidden it.

wisecrackerz
wow, sounds like you owe your brother a prank.

James95
I think I might switch back to my BlackBerry. Less fuss with apps and all the extras. Only the essentials like email, texting, making calls, calendar, etc.

using Tapatalk

Everythingzen
Wally, it might be a handy thing to have! I think it's free, too.

The screaming app sounds like a lot of fun. For pranks and such. Haha. Maybe an idea you can work with, Josh, if your brother has a device you can mess with!

Anyway, thanks all. I checked again this morning and it seems the phone is now back where I originally lost it, up at my supermarket! It most logical that a staff person has found it. Unless it's a customer who likes driving out of their way to get their bread and milk! I'll go up there this morning and hopefully this will end well. I can call the police off and they can go back to doing things that are important lol.

Dlondon95
I would go to the store manager and tell them that you lost something and you have reason to believe an employee took it. They probably have the right to search the car.

wisecrackerz
That may depend on local laws, I know in NY in the US, an employer wouldn't have the right to search anything not inside their store, unless it was mentioned in the hiring paperwork. I've never stolen anything from a workplace, but I'd certainly never allow my boss to search my car. The store may have the right to have the police search the car, however.

luke355027355027
hmm its so almost weird how people can be comfortable just taking something from someone that theyve worked hard for just some people about a year ago my grandfather found a wallet by his property in some trees everything was intact except the cash so he called his friend who is a cop and they found the owner and they both went there to return it the woman didnt say one word to my grandfather didnt thank his friend and actaully just took it and shut the door. Than about a month later he found a purse it was the same woman but different purse and wallet he called the his friend and they returned it again without thanks this time she had the nerve to make a comment under her breath about the cash being missing ( because when I steal purses I leave some cash)

so that’s my little life story

Everythingzen
All ended well with this. Turns out the manager had found it, put it in his car over the weekend, and locked it in his office on Monday while he was doing some training. The staff were hoping I'd ring their shop because they didn't have a key to unlock it to answer it. Also the boss couldn't unlock the screen lock, and I had truly disabled everything remotely. They wanted to get it back to me but I'd made it too hard, haha.

Luke, that lady was a bit daft for thinking your granddad would return two separate wallets he'd stolen!

wisecrackerz
Yay! So glad everything worked out for the best!

And Luke, it sounds like that lady was a bit daft indeed; what on earth were her wallets doing on your grandad's property? Once might be a coincidence, but twice? I'd suspect her of leaving them there, crazy bat.

cletus
Awesome! Glad you got it back.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerfishy
Replies
Views
renthus
Replies
Views
MileyMorkie