The "Field collection and discovery thread". Look what i found and what is it!

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I think a thread like this could be productive and inspiring.
    What is field collection/discovery
    Walk out side your back door, look down. See anything? Snails, grass, bugs? Good, id hope so because this world is full of life, every inch of it.
    Fielding is basically collecting plants, animals and other interesting things from the great outdoors. Collecting doesn't necessarily mean taking what you found and bringing it home, it can be as simple as writing down what you found or taking a picture to share with the rest of us. Most people dont realize the variety of life that lives outside their door. In the case of aquatics, you may go down to a pond and find some shrimp, or maybe an aquatic worm and want to know what it is, if it can be of any use, and so on. Possibly you find a cool looking plant that you have seen in the fish store.

The purpose of this thread
    For people to share pictures, stories and discuss their wild finds. Be it a lowly pond snail or a population of gobies living in your back pond. I also want to encourage and inspire people to both learn about their areas natural environment and get hands on with it, learn whats there and what effect it can have on you and the rest of its environment. Once you start, you wont stop :D.
    Does this mean this thread is limited to fish and aquatics? Nope. Feel free to go field herping(reptiles) or looking for bugs, birds, mammals or just plants, never know what you may find out there.

What should I post?
    Anything related to the subject, or other members posts. Be supportive, maybe someone found a common old pond snail, yes, we have all seen them and their no big hype, but someone worked hard to obtain that snail and they felt like sharing, be supportive. Post your stories, give us Pics of not just what you found, but where you were. Even if you didnt find anything or dont have pics of what you find, we still want to hear.

keep in mind
    Please be safe- Dont put yourself or other in serious danger, if you wish to go looking in a swamp, be wary of alligators. Know your nature, dont get lost and always make sure someone knows where you are and you have a means of contacting them. You dont have to be in a danger to find cool things, your local stream or back field hold a mountain of treasure. Like wise, be prepared. Dont go running out of the house without parents permission if you are of a young age. Do NOT confront dangerous wildlife, bears, raccoon, possum, deer, foxes and so on, are all dangerous animals, do not run up to them or put your self in harms way. Snakes, please, if you dont know what it is, dont go near it. Though, i wont say dont post pictures of these animals, just keep your distance and respect them as you should.

Like wise, keep the environment safe. Dont remove endangered species, or animals you have no knowledge of keeping alive. Dont kill anything for the collecting sake, nobody wants that. If you cant get to your objective without potentially harming it then leave it alone, this includes birds nests, fish nests, beehives, small fragile animals and plants that are not so abundant.

Dont deface nature, if you move a rock, move it back when your done. If you eat or drink, dont drop your trash. Feel free to take a small trash collection bag though. This is about learning and education. Again, you dont need to take it home, just take a picture. Know what animals are endangered and what plants are dangerous.

Be prepared
    On a final note, always be prepared. Try to know where your going, be prepared for the terrain.
    Footwear- steal toes are a hikers/foresters friend. However, water shoes are for the aquatic fielder.
    Clothes- Long sleeves and pants are good for field and forest to keep tics off, shorts are an obvious choice for water.
    sunblock- use it.
    Cane/stick/snake hook- have something like this please!
    Knife- if you are responsible enough to have a pocket knife then have it.
    Whistle- 3 quick blows is a signal for help, universal.
    Map/GPS- good to have.
    Snake guards- if you know there are snakes or think there may be, invest in some.
    Field companion- Friends, family and dogs may also enjoy the great outdoors. If you have a dog with you, be sure it has water and is capable of doing what you are doing(IE: probably no pugs or other Brachis for longer trips).

Have fun.

2. E

Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I got a few neat pictures from around the yard and whatnot.

Assassin fly
    [​IMG]

Monarch butterflies (Actually found the chrysalises just before the weather was going to kill them. They were brought in until they hatched, and released.
    [​IMG]

Some sort of underground fungus farming ant
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crematogaster sp. eating a mosquito
    [​IMG]

Unknown ants under a rock
    [​IMG]

Monomorium minimum workers and queen under a rock
    [​IMG]

Possum in our chicken run (safely removed after this was taken)
    [​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Heres a Demo post to start it off.

I went down to my friendly local storm overflow pipe today.
    [​IMG]
    Where i collected some planeria and micro crustaceans and a snail.
    Highlighted in blue and white is the crustacean and in just white is the planeria.
    [​IMG]

In red is a planeria
    [​IMG]
    Snail(tried to find a pond snail lol)
    [​IMG]

Out the other end of said storm pipe
    [​IMG]
    I found some more snails(fawn melania ) and a few plants.

[​IMG]
    Adult fawns being compared to a MTS sized snail, related speices.

[​IMG]
    This is called baby tear, its a creeping blanket plant. It cover every inch of dirt, very pretty imo. Much more so then moss and it can be kept just about anywhere with clean water and decent nitrates/ferts.

[​IMG]
    Some aquatic grass i plan to experiment with.

And finally, my next journey. Into the even smaller, side tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    Around 3.5' tall. I will need a head light for this one.

Thats a quick demo post, a real quick 1 hour adventure out my back door.

4. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

echo you scared the living out of me!!! Beautiful and amazing finds. I love the fly, actually, i had just posted this post and all of a sudden the fly pops up in my face, i scream like a girl lol. I like the possum. hes a.....cute. The ants are cool as well, the queen is a nice find.

5. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Be careful in that side tunnel! LOL!

6. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

yeah, i broke my main rule, i tried going into the small tunnel and did a number on my leg thanks to some rebar. Add to that list-be sure to have tetanus shot.

7. E

That's awesome :D

I'm tempted to go down to the creek now, see what I can find... That baby tear plant looks really cool.

8. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

It is, kinda like a mini ludwiga. If it grows nice in my tank, ill share.

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Took my dog out in the back yard for a walk and ran into this IMG_3985.JPG IMG_3986.JPG
    Visitors to my deck feeding plate IMG_4020.JPG IMG_4021.JPG IMG_4028.JPG IMG_4032.JPG

10. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

EEE it looks like a cute little red ear slider! Love the cardinals and bluejays too. Great pics. Also, if there are any add ons or changes i need to make to my initial post carol, please let me know, anything i need to restate.

11. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Everything sounds good and easy to understand too :)

12. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

I may edit the offical OP as needed or if i realize something i missed. I really cant stress safety enough on this. Especially since this is a open forum where younger members may be influenced to try this on their own. I encourage this, but i dont want anyone getting hurt :)

13. E

I was walking through the rear parking lot at work and found one of the local ant colonies eating a roach. It was neat!

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

That is awsome, never seen them eat the roaches around here.

15. E

We had one dead roach behind a desk in another room, and the ants were coming all the way from their parking lot nest, up the stairs, through a gap in the door, along a wall through the production department, and into the room where the dead roach was. I have no idea how they managed to find it in the first place.

16. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

My contribution
    [​IMG]
    Green anole, endangered.

[​IMG]
    mouse eating spider(Huntsman)
    Wish it was endangered.

17. E

I'm pretty certain green anoles are not endangered. We have them all over the place. Is that like, a local endangerment?

18. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Nope, greens are endangered. they may be found in high concentration, but only in small areas.

19. E

I can't find anything on them being endangered. Wikipedia lists them as secured, as well. Can you find anything on them being endangered?

20. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Nvm, im thinking of a different, similar, but different species. They were on the threatened list at one point though. The true danger to them is just the usual, people. here in florida we dont see very much of them because of the brown anole over populate the area. XD. Times like this i wish i had a picture of the indigo snake to distract.........