the fascinating world of red cherry shrimp

1. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Considering I started off with only 20 RCS, it's mind blowing how many show up when you ring the dinner bell...... :eek:

Attached Files:

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Nawww. Love it and them.

I'm thinking I should add some to my FW - I've got the rockwork/woodwork/mosswork etc........

(Fallen in love with shrimp now that I have them in my Reef)

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Awesome pics, Lynda! I love my RCS.

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What really blows my mind is seeing the females with the eggs...... that's the most incredible thing. Then, before you know it, you have these teeny tiny shrimplets running around the tank. So very cool.....

5. ray_sj Member Member

Beautiful pics!

I enjoyed watching them when I used to have RCS.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't know you were a shrimp expert! Maybe now I can bother you with questions, instead of pestering Jeri all the time... :)

Beautiful pics! I'd like to get some RCS, but they're $10 each here, and I can get ghost shrimp for 3/$1, so I went with those, for now anyway. That's great yours get along, mine all fight if I don't put in separate chunks of algae wafer, one for each shrimp...

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure that what you're seeing is not fighting. I've never once witnessed an altercation of any kind between shrimp. They may climb over each other on a wafer, but I think they're pretty much blind to each other.

I'm also sure that you can do much much better than $10 per shrimp. I never would've paid that. I got mine from a forum member (different forum). I paid $15, which included shipping, for 20 RCS.

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

And when the eggs are "moving" because of the females fanning them-it's so cute! The babies are so tiny.

9. foxhill2 Member Member

Great pics LyndaB!
    Don't cha just love them?
    I started with only 6 and now they almost blanket the bottom of the 29 gal. at feeding time.
    82765-red-cherry-shrimp-eating-cucumber.jpg
    They made fast work of this cucumber slice!

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

OMG, I absolutely love that picture. It is probably the coolest shrimp pic I've ever seen.

11. foxhill2 Member Member

Thanks! I got lucky, they all made a sort of semicircle.pose :) Love shooting them. They're not constantly in motion as some fish are.

12. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Are yours RCS? If so, why do they look so different from mine? Yours have a more solid red to them where mine are more irridescent.

13. foxhill2 Member Member

Hmm...mine are definately RCS but I see what you mean.
    Some of mine look just like yours. I was told that the males are not as solid red. How old are they? Could be that they're too young to have full color yet...I don't know. I got my original 6 about a year ago & they did get redder as they grew. Hope that helps:)

14. orbelina Member Member

Sorry to interrupt lol but I've just been reading a little about rcs and read that it can depend on the substrate colour ie dark = redder colour light = more translucent shrimps...like I said I don't know but its what I've just read :)

15. djsmiley2k Well Known Member Member

Man I wish mine would have babies.... I've had them like a year now, maybe some how with the 6 or so I had i got all male / female..... or maybe my adf are eating the shrimplets, but I've never seen anything which looked like eggs on any of them. :/

Maybe one day!

Cool pics tho!!! :)

16. foxhill2 Member Member

orbelina- That's interesting because my substrate is black & lyndaB's was light so you may be right!
    Good detective work!

Djsmiley- Thats wierd. Mine love algea wafers, maybe a change of diet? I don't know..
    I guess you could threaten to make some cocktail sauce for them if they don't get busy :eek:

In the photo you can see a tiny white oval under the shrimp in the upper left corner. That's a sist stuck to the glass that will become a shrimplet soon!
    They are so interesting to watch.

Attached Files:

17. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You know, the color hue might also be an age thing. I have seen some really dark red females but they rarely come down to feed with the rest. They stay hidden away, much like a Queen Bee. :)

I think mine are about a year, year and a half, as far as the oldest.

18. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

very nice looking pictures.
    good job on the captures.
    really enjoyed them.
    Thanks for sharing

19. uphill4me Member Member

High protein sinking wafers improve color and breeding but in excess they will make the largest shrimp less active and social; if they don't have to search hard for a protein source they sit around, get fat and sometimes aggressive. Those fat lazy ones produce so many babies if they don't get aggressive that it is almost intolerable. Feed in different locations regularly so they don't get too comfortable near the dinner table.

20. Fammies Member Member

Oh I would love some cherry shrimp but the only place that has them sells just one for $6 :/ Or close to that if not more. Though I don't know, maybe that's cheap compared to where they're sold at other places! But yours look really pretty! :)