The Fair is in Town -- Glo & Goldfish Help!

Blaze21

Good evening everyone..
I apologize now if this is doubling up on a previous thread - it's very late and my reading eyes can only take so much.
I'll try to make this short -- my kids were invited to the fair and, as I should have foreseen, both kids ended up with a goldfish.
We have a small tank with baby mystery snails and two pink GloFish that has actually been quite successful.
Now to the question: these two goldfish (one is keeping their top fin down, the other is small but spry) need a home but... Well, I keep seeing these two types of fish have no love for one another... At the moment, I have the 2 Gold in their Ziploc taped to the Glo/Snail tank to acclimate to the temp and adding some tank water to the bag.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I have an Itty bitty so-called goldfish "bowl" but it's just so tiny, especially for two goldfish. And now I'm concerned about homing these guys (Glo and Gold) together and feel there is no other option than the dreaded bowl at the moment. At least it's an upgrade from the ziploc bag they handed over...?
Also, I should note that I'm talking about Tetra GloFish if that helps at all.

Flyfisha

Short answer.
Rehome the goldfish into any large pond or body of water not connected to a river. Each time you drive/ walk past you can tell the kids the goldfish is swimming happily in there.

Long answer.
These fish live for 20 plus years. They should grow to 8 plus inches in two years. They require very large tanks. They have a basic stomach and poop half digested food , known as a dirty fish they need more filtration than some other species. They eat a lot of vegetable matter and poop a ton.
By all means use the goldfish bowl and expect 6 to 12 months before they pass . I am not going to judge you or what you do.

Just now any large plastic container of conditioned water will be better than the zip lock bag.

sunflower430

I would not upset your happy tank by adding the goldfish. They might introduce diseases to your other tank, let alone any other issues. Throw them in the bowl and do water changes multiple times a day, and in the meantime figure out how to get a bigger tank or rehome.

Noroomforshoe

Please do not realease thease fish into your glofish tank, But Deffinitly DO NOT realease them into the wild, they could destroy local species. If you can find someone who owns a pond, ask if they will take the fish. Or advertise on craigs, or facebook, For now, do you have a clean bucket, a large pane? a plastic bin? a kiddie pool?

Please find a nice way to discourage your kids from participating in this kind of animal exploitation in the future. when i was a kid it was "That hermit crab wants to go back to the ocean with his mommy" Now you can just watch Finding Nemo.

Huckleberry77

You can temporarily put the goldfish in a plastic storage tote full of water. I agree you should rehome them either to a pond owner or fish store. Definitely do not release them into a wild or natural pond on public lands.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
WBJR
Replies
Views
ETAMH
Replies
Views