the end of day...

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welll I lost the last platy I had left. :'( And it was the dwarf gourami that did him in. I just didnt think that the gourami was the culprit in the demise of my other platys. But as stressed as the platys were, I watched the gourami butt it. When he did, the platy just fell to its side. I took the platy out when I saw this and put him in a bowl of tank water. Not sure if he would make it or not but didnt want that bully torturing him anymore. It seemed to do alittle better, slowly moving around. In circles somewhat and floating. So then i had the thought that before i went to bed, id like it to have some aeration. So i filled the 2.5 g with tank water and added a air stone with tube attached to a gange valve. When it was done I went back into the other room and started to pick up the bowl ( which wasnt that small) and was shocked not to find the platy there! I looked on the floor and sure enough he was laying there. If i noticed it right away I may have had a chance to save him, ORRRrrrr I couldve left him alone in the bowl and gone to bed. Now the last of the platy are gone. :'(
What a shame. It was one of the ones that I started with 7 wks ago. Im hoping that the gourami doesnt start in on the last dalmation molly I have in the tank. If i could find some bio spira somewhere tomorrow I would put the lil devil in the 2.5 g tank! I hope that he doesnt go after the other fish left, which are tetras. But I think they are too fast for him. The gouarmi hasnt bothered them at all. And the molly is a good size. Anyway... thats the end of my day and its off to bed. :-\

aqua man130

Reaction score
i think u shuld get the gourami out of the community tank most gouramies dont go well with other species of fish

np
aqua man

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
:'( Sorry about your loss. We all seem to find one fish we just can't abide by their temperament. Maybe your LFS would take it back? I disagree that all Dwarf Gouramies are bad company for community tanks. I have 3 with platys, and all kinds of other peaceful community fish and they all get along. BUT I also have lots of plants, rocks, driftwood etc., to break the tank up.

My hated fish was a Chinease Algae Eater. He was so mean I could see hate in his eye as he looked through the tank at me....... Well he is no more. Not on purpose, but I didn't cry one tear! When you resolve this, I am sure you will be able to fall in love with the next platys too!

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
susitna-flower said:
:'(  Sorry about your loss.    We all seem to find one fish we just can't abide by their temperament.    Maybe your LFS would take it back?   I disagree that all Dwarf Gouramies are bad company for community tanks.   I have 3 with platys, and all kinds of other peaceful community fish and they all get along.   BUT I also have lots of plants, rocks, driftwood etc., to break the tank up. 

My hated fish was a Chinease Algae Eater.   He was so mean I could see hate in his eye as he looked through the tank at me.......   Well he is no more. Not on purpose, but I didn't cry one tear!    When you resolve this, I am sure you will be able to fall in love with the next platys too! 

Land of the Midnight Sun  8)
Hello susitna-flower~
Ive had the gourami for 7 wks, i doubt they would take it back. And I truly wonder what they do with the fish when we do bring them back? Do they put them back in their tanks without thought that maybe they can bring a disease to the tanks? When I brought back a shark I was going to watch what she did with it, but got distracted by the other fish etc etc. So I dont know. I plan on getting two angels for the community tank and before I do that, I believe I will get the divider for the 10 gallon betta tank and put the gourami in there. I dont want it chasing after the juvenile angels. I also heard that the dwarf gourami were a peaceful fish, but what I keep reading here is that they are not so nice...They are a beautiful fish IMO and i will miss it in the community tank.
I planned on bringing home another betta today but this problem with the gourami has to be resolved or the next victim will be the molly. In time I will want to see the platy back in the tank, I really love their personality and miss them swimming around. The tank seems so empty now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( I'm sorry to hear you lost all the platys.. they are fun little fish and i know you miss them and would like to have more. this gourami just sounds like a very territorial character and would likely do in any new platys.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
:'( I'm sorry to hear you lost all the platys.. they are fun little fish and i know you miss them and would like to have more.  this gourami just sounds like a very territorial character and would likely do in any new platys.
Yes.. more than likely it sure would. So will have to move the gourami to the betta tank with the divider. I really was looking forward to getting another betta today. But...I just cant leave the gourami to its aggressive nature in the community tank. I have to take care of this first. If I can only find some bio spira today at some LFS I would be set to put the gourami in the 2.5 tank. Or a betta in the 2.5 and the gourami in with the 10 gallon betta w/divider. There I go thinking that Im going to come home today with a betta. hehe... WELLLL.. it can happen??!!!! <restraint.. restraint...restraint..> my mantra for the day.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We can come home with a betta anytime we go into the store.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
haha... yep! and dont you know that im sitting here wondering if I want to bring home a female or a male today.. ****...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
FLBettaCouple said:
haha... yep! and dont you know that im sitting here wondering if I want to bring home a female or a male today.. ****...
go with a female today.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
..You know, I was thinking the same thing! So many folks get the male bettas because of the beautiful flowing fins, but those poor females probubly stay in those cups longer when not sold as fast. I think that I will go with a female... (today) hehehe...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
..You know, I was thinking the same thing! So many folks get the male bettas because of the beautiful flowing fins, but those poor females probubly stay in those cups longer when not sold as fast. I think that I will go with a female... (today) hehehe...
The females have all the personalities of the males and generally are reputed to be smarter and healthier. They usually have less color at the store than when they get home and have a tank to be happy in.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
capekate said:
The females have all the personalities of the males and generally are reputed to be smarter and healthier.  They usually have less color at the store than when they get home and have a tank to be happy in.
Thanks! Ahhh one more question... what do you think of one female betta in the 29 gallon community tank with the other six serpae tetras and the one dalmation molly? Do you think that would work out?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
Thanks! Ahhh one more question... what do you think of one female betta in the 29 gallon community tank with the other six serpae tetras and the one dalmation molly? Do you think that would work out?
LOL.. hard to resist, huh? we went into petco for carbon, came out with carbon and a new betta - a red double-tail combtail.. he's such a beauty and i couldn't take him in that dirty cup.

There could be some conflict between the tetras and female betta, but they might get along well, especially in a tank that size with plenty of hiding spots & all.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The PetSmart (I laugh at the name every time I say/type it) near me has all of their female bettas in 1 of their normal tanks and keeps about 15-20 peppered cory's in there too. Every time I go to say hi to the cory's (it's the same tank I got my 3 cory's from) I always take a look at the bettas as well. They are quite beautiful in their own right, and it's nice to actually see them move around and be lively. I've never noticed them have any aggression either, though that can be said about the all male Dwarf Gourami tanks too so I guess that doesn't mean much.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A NEW DAY! ;D
Well.. had to let everyone know.. hehehe.. I came home with two gorgeous angel fish. ;D One a marble and the other a lighter tan with light stripes. I also came home with a female betta. Who has a name right away, cuz when I was looking at her in the store I said.. arnt you precious! and that is her name, Precious. ;D She has a lighter body with some marking but her tail and fins are a beautiful tourquise blue. She's a little thing. But already I see her personality shine. I put a air stone in her tank, ( the 2.5) and she started biting at the bubbles as they came out. She has also ate, and swims around and when I come in to see how she is doing she comes to the glass and watches me. FLBETTACOUPLE you are right, seems the females have alot of personality. ;D I picked up a whisper 3i for the tank as well. I bought the divider for the ten gal tank and put the dwarf gourami in there sharing the tank with the Phoenix the male betta. I re hooked up the air stone wand so that the water would be a wall where the divider is, but for some reason I am only getting a trinkle of air out of that now. So will have to pick up another one. My husband said he would look at it and see whats wrong. I may have hooked it up wrong somehow with the gange valve.
I will need to get some more batteries for my camera and I will do that tomorrow, so that I can take some photos! ;D The tetras get along fine with the angels and the 1 molly is now swimming around like its ole self again now that the gourami is out of the tank. Ohh and phoenix is flaming at the gourami on the other side of the divider... lol.
Im a happy camper this evening! and my husband didnt even get upset at another tank lol... <whew>

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
capekate said:
and my husband didnt even get upset at another tank lol... <whew> 
Yeah, I always sweat bringing another fish home, and a new tank, but my hubby just rolls his eyes :

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Those angels are pretty. If we had a bigger tank, we'd get some ourselves. Looking forward to pics of all your fish, especially Precious as we have a serious case of betta bug. Congrats on your new girl - she sounds like a little beauty.

Keep an eye on the angels for signs of them buddying up & getting possessive. They have been known to decimate a tank in very short order when they do.

Do you have a check valve on the airline to that air stone wand?

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks... I will watch the angels for any signs of aggresion. Right now they are pretty shy and hanging out in one area. They were delivered today to the LFS and then a trip to my home, so they are quiet for now. btw.. I left a new post/topic in the freshwaters beginners, im in dire need of help there..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom