The Emperor 400 HOB filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fullarmor2, Dec 22, 2012.

1. fullarmor2New MemberMember

What is the correct way to use a sponge material which I got in bulk in place of the cartridges that come with this filter? The cartridges fit nicely in the slots, but this materal I have, I don't know. When I put it in there its not secure. Its just kinda sitting in there and I'm concerned that water will flow around it. :( Any suggestions?

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore! :;toast

You may be able to strip the old material away from the factory cartridge frame, cut new material to fit, and secure it with rubber bands.

3. OP
    OP
    f

fullarmor2New MemberMember

Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice. That might work.

4. OP
    OP
    f

My other question is. Can I reuse the cartridges that came with the filter which contain carbon? My thinking is that I will use fresh carbon from time to time in the media containers which also came with this filter to clean up any waste that gets released from the old carbon in the reused cartridges. Also, won't the old carbon stop releasing wastes/toxins/whatever after some time anyway?

5. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would use the cartidges until they're falling apart. You can empty the old carbon if you wish but it makes no difference. The conditions required to make carbon release its bond with anything its adsorbed are not replicated in an aquarium and can require raising the carbons temp to 600-800 F for extended periods of time. So, imo theres no way that carbon will release anything it has picked up, rather, its adsoprtion sites will be used up and it will stop working as chemical filtration but may still serve a purpose as biological filtration.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Really? I didn't know that. I always thought that I need to be sure and remove my two week or so old carbon so it doesn't starting releasing the junk that it absorbed. So your saying the only issue is, that it will just stop absorbing and doing its job after some time is all and will not release. Thats good to know, thanks. :happy0034:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice