The elf on the shelf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Junne, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

This is so much fun to do with your kids!!!! I just "adopted" Zachary, our elf a few days ago! While my son is 7 years old, he still believes and we are having some fun with all of the antics Zachary comes up with!

Each day my son wakes up and rushes downstairs to "find" Zachary.

In case you haven't read the story, its not too late to get started! Your little kids will love it!

Day 1 - Zachary makes breakfast for my son!!!!

day 1.jpg

Day 2 - Oh dear! Looks like Zachary got himself in a little jam ( or is that Candy! ) Seems he was trying to bring Aiden a "Good behavior" bar and he was ambushed! I also heard someone distinctly say, "Braaaaaainssssss"

day 2.jpg

Day 3 - pea pods make great sleeping bags!

day 3.jpg

Day 4 - Ahhh. Vita Coco! Vita Coco! Vita Coco!

day 4.jpg

Other suggestions welcomed and yes, I am already thinking of some "fish" themed things ;)

Junne

2. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

i wish i still believed in santa clause lol

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

b...bu...but I don't have any kids :( (not that I am complaining!) I still wanna do this xD anyways... how about setting up a board game? battleships and monopoly come to mind! OHHH and have him sitting on the edge of your tank with a mini fishing pole that has a cucumber attached ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Junne

Oh :( - I hope my son never stops believing.............

Great idea with the battleship ( and we just got that game too! ) yes, I have lots of things in store to think of..... I like the idea of the mini fishing pole although by the time I set it up, it will probably be knocked over in the tank with the fish and snails getting to it!!! LOL

5. monkeypie102

well rig the string to be longer so it can reach the tank floor and he isn't pulled under ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Junne

I'll have to think about that one. I usually set it up before going to bed ( in case he wakes up before I do ) maybe the Betta tank instead ( worry about my naughty Nerites escaping if the tank lid is open in the main tank ) hmmmm............

oh gosh! if he saw a "drowning" elf, the magic would be over!!!

7. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

would it spook him to wake up to Zachary watching him sleep? Thats so cute and fun! :D

8. monkeypie102

you could rig him up to be like a diver:) in case he falls in it won't traumatize your son! or the betta tank would work as well :)

That would scare the crabs out of me xD

9. Ethan

you have crabs inside you monkey? o_O

10. monkeypie102

0_o you mean you didn't know? they are fiddler crabs! they help when I am playing my Violin ;)

11. OP
    OP
    Junne

Well the whole story behind elf on the shelf is that the kids are not allowed to "touch" the elves or they lose their magic...... Only the adults ( good marketing I'd say! ;) )
    If a child "accidently" touches the elf, theres a whole ritual that gets done ( something about sprinkling cinnamon???? )
    So the elf goes back EVERY night to the North Pole to report to Santa about the daily things in our household - keeping an especially watchful eye on my son.
    Then on Christmas day, the elf goes back to the North Pole until next year!

12. Terra

Terra Well Known Member Member

That is a truly genius game/story/whatever-it-is and I soooooooo wish they had it when my son was little!

13. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the idea Junne! I had never heard of this but now my daughter will. :)

14. OP
    OP
    Junne

I had only discovered it this year Matt. My son is 7 now but I wish I had seen this a few years back!!!

It's a lot of fun and really keeps them on their best behavior knowing the scout elf is reporting back every day!!! :giggle:

15. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Yeah we adopted our elf (Ginger)this year for our girls (ages 1, 3 and 5)and they love all the antics their elf does. Their always excited every morning to see what the elf has done.

16. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Junne, I love this idea. I will adopt this idea when I have my kid. Hopefully next year :p Fingers crossed

17. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I am so doing this next year my son will be 5 on Dec 4th so I spy a Birthday Present!

18. OP
    OP
    Junne

I would love to hear some of the things "Ginger" has done..... I have been taking a picture chronicle daily of Zachary's events. I hope to do a photobook after Christmas - something my son can remember long after Christmas is over.....

19. Ethan

i will have to buy an elf myself and put him in odd places for me to discover in the morning :p

20. t

totes Valued Member Member

So it's cheesy but we play "Gnome in the Home" in my house...it has nothing to do with Santa as we are all adults, but more to see what antics the gnomes get into (we use a Jets and a Giants gnome from Modell's)...so far they have found themselves in the china cabinet among the fine china; in the fridge behind the milk, on the bathtub, and in a closet.
    Here are some ideas for Zachary:
    Have him "play" in or with your son's clothes
    In the middle of hygiene: with the toothbrush, or pretending to take a bath or getting ready to
    Trying to wrap a present for someone
    Attempting to bake cookies (have all the spices out/flour/sugar etc)
    Attempting to help with homework/checking it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice