The Effect Of Research

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As humans beings, it's our responsibility to look after the animals we take into our care responsibly and properly. Anyone who decides to take an animal's life into their hands should be prepared to do their part, no? I feel I'm one of the few who consider it a duty of the aquarist to do proper research BEFORE getting fish. I appreciate those who understand what they are doing before they delve into the hobby for the fish's sake, but I often get negative responses for this view.
Also, knowing what you're doing to keep fish alive helps your beautiful aquarium flourish and last, saving you time, energy, and money. Research, and answering questions for others, is the key to a successful aquarium in my opinion. Am I the only one who feels this way, as opposed to the learn-as-you-go method others approach?

Last edited:

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Eh, I can look at it both ways. Can it anger and frustrate me that they didn't know to look up information that is readily available? Sure, but I can also take the time out of my day to help educate those who are looking for answers. I'd rather not get mad about a molly in a 5 gallon tank, for instance, and help the fish survive those conditions, while the owner (who might be a young child for all I know) saves up money to get a new tank.
Honestly, what frustrates me sometimes is when you give people an answer and they refuse to listen to it (even if multiple people give them the same answer)

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It doesn't bother me. Most people have kids without planning to, so I don't expect many to do their research with pets. Actually, I don't have a problem with that either. So within that context, nope.

Life has taught me to try to be nice and treat everyone fairly, even if you don't like the person.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom