The Easiest, Fastest Growing Aquatic Plants in the Hobby

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi FishLore,

Today, I'm offering up a large amount of the easiest and fastest growing plants in the planted tank hobby. All of these plants make for terrific nitrate sponges. I'm offering three species: brazilian pennywort, elodea canadensis, and salvinia minima.

**Free root fertilizer will be included with all orders in order to maximize your success

1) Salvinia Minima (Grown floating)
This floating plant is far the easiest plant in the entire aquatic plant kingdom. It is even easier to grow than duckweed, and it is not nearly as invasive or hard to get rid of as duckweed. Salvinia grows extremely fast and has thick, lush roots to provide protection and shade for fish and invertebrates. It can even be put in a goldfish tank because it is often too large for the goldfish to swallow entirely. Of over 75+ people who have purchased this plant, not a single one of them has reported a difficulty in growing this plant.

Pricing:
Snack Sized Bag - $6
Sandwich Sized Bag - $11

These portions are huge and the bags will be packed to the brim.

**This plant is banned in LA and TX. I cannot ship Salvinia minima to these states**
IMG_6268.JPG IMG_1505.JPG

2) Elodea Canadensis (Grown Submerged)
This is the easiest submerged plant. It quickly forms dense mats to provide great hiding spots and cover for fry and large fish alike. Shrimp especially like to graze along the leaves. It can grow in low light conditions and is a nitrate absorbing machine.

Pricing:
$1.10 per stem (Stems are 8"+)

**This plant is banned in AK, LA, and ME. I cannot ship Elodea canadensis to these states**

IMG_3024.JPG

3) Brazilian Pennywort (Grown Submerged)
While it is not as easy as the other two plants, this is still an exceedingly easy to grow plant. Pennywort has one of the most unique forms of aquatic plants in the hobby. It has a vine like growth behavior, and can be grown floating, submerged, or emersed. This is a terrific plant for lowtech aquascapes. It especially works well in wild jungle tanks.

Pricing:
$1.20 per stem (Stems are 6"+)

**Legal in all states**

IMG_7955 2.JPG IMG_1542.JPG

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How much is shipping?

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LittleBlueGuppy said:
How much is shipping?
$4.75 for first class or $8 for priority

SeattleRoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A word to the wise, never ship plants 'First Class' unless you live extremely close to the shipper, like in the same city. Even Priority Mail can be a risk if the weather is hot or cold.

Vishaquatics How do you insulate for shipping in the winter or summer?

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What state is the seller in then?

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SeattleRoy said:
A word to the wise, never ship plants 'First Class' unless you live extremely close to the shipper, like in the same city. Even Priority Mail can be a risk if the weather is hot or cold.

Vishaquatics How do you insulate for shipping in the winter or summer?
Thank you for your concern and advice SeattleRoy

To answer your question, I don’t use much insulation except for envelopes that are padded with bubble wrap and cold packs in the hot season.

I’ve now shipped 350+ orders over the course of the past two years. I’ve shipped in the summer, fall, spring, and winter. I used to be under the impression that priority mail was the safest bet for shipping live plants across the nation.

However, I’ve noticed that in these hundreds of orders, (a majority of them shipped to the east coast), that priority mail is not any faster, nor safer, than first class mail. Most of my packages, regardless of state, arrive within 2-3 days. I was surprised, because I thought that priority would be much faster, but I was happy to find out that first class offered the same speed and safety of my packages. It was also a better option because it was cheaper for the customer and allowed me to customize the dimensions of my packages, rather than going with the priority flat rates options.

As for insulation and hot/cold packs, I only do cold packs. Winter is the best time to ship because the ambient temperature acts as a refrigerator for the plants. Colder weather (provided the package is not left outside freezing for multiple hours) is great because it preserves the freshness of the plants, similarly to a freshly cut flowers being kept in a refrigerated. That is why I pack orders with cold packs during the summer so that the package’s internal temperature can stay low during transit.

I believe that these shipping methods are adequate, considering I’ve only had issues with less than 10 orders of 350+. These issues were always caused by a delay in the PO lasting over a week.
LittleBlueGuppy said:
What state is the seller in then?
I am located in California.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m very interested in the salvinia, but I have a question. Have you every had snails eat it? I got some frogbit a while back, and my snails ate it. It could have been dying already, but I was just wondering.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LittleBlueGuppy said:
I’m very interested in the salvinia, but I have a question. Have you every had snails eat it? I got some frogbit a while back, and my snails ate it. It could have been dying already, but I was just wondering.
Great! I haven't had snails eat my salvinia, it tends to be pretty tough for most fish or inverts to eat.

SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How many stems of the third do you recommend? I have sand and no fertilizer but maybe a floated plant would work? And the first is nice as well but I am not sure why it’s illegal lol

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SlvikanAKAMsWorryWart said:
How many stems of the third do you recommend? I have sand and no fertilizer but maybe a floated plant would work? And the first is nice as well but I am not sure why it’s illegal lol
I’ll send a Pm

sparklepixie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just going to add my 2 cent into this!

I got a package very similar to this back in late November and I am all the way over on the east coast, while vish is on the west coast. I had no problems what so ever with his packing! Everything was great!

NevermindIgnoreMe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have been browsing for some plants (pretty much rotala, cabomba, and pennywort) for my betta tank, and I love to support hobbyists businesses, ( They just are so much fun to work with, and know their stuff. ;) ) and I would like to know how much pennywort you would recommend for a twenty gallon. I don't want a TON but just kind of an accent, to go with my decor, and compete with the brown diatom a bit. Also, how do you accept payment, are you on ebay or something? I am just shopping around at this point, but I just saw this and I am curious. Any suggestions are welcome! :joyful:

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I have been browsing for some plants (pretty much rotala, cabomba, and pennywort) for my betta tank, and I love to support hobbyists businesses, ( They just are so much fun to work with, and know their stuff. ;) ) and I would like to know how much pennywort you would recommend for a twenty gallon. I don't want a TON but just kind of an accent, to go with my decor, and compete with the brown diatom a bit. Also, how do you accept payment, are you on ebay or something? I am just shopping around at this point, but I just saw this and I am curious. Any suggestions are welcome! :joyful:
Hi! Thanks for commenting.

I'd probably recommend around 6-7 stems of the pennywort as an accent for a 20 gallon. I do all transactions through PayPal business in which I send an invoice that provides both buyer and seller protections. I am not currently on eBay and only sell through FishLore.com and r/Aquaswap

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom