The Dreaded Water Change

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay first off dont get me wrong when I'm told I should do a water change I ask EVERYWHERE to get others opinions, I even call my local fish store and even they give me conflicting answers depending on who's answering or who I talk to when I go there. So some of you may know I'm at 0ppm for both nitrite and nitrate my ammonia is at 0.05 I was told at first by one of the people at my store that I'm on the tail end of the cycle for my 50 gallon but my ammonium is at 6ppm so today I was told do a water change to drop the ammonium so like always I make sure I should do this so I call it my local fish store told them all my levels and that this tank has only been cycling for 18 days and now they are like NO WATER CHANGE BAD DESTROY CYCLE AMMONIUM GO DOWN BY SELF. So...uhm this person also told me that I'm just starting to cycle while the other person said cycling can be fast or slow it's not the same every time no matter which way you do it. This is why I dread water changes.....but I have to do them anyways and I do 25% once every 7 days on each of my tanks and they are basically telling me DONT DO IT AT ALL so who should I really be listening to?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, she has fish in there.
@Lauradesu water changes cannot destroy the nitrogen (ammonia) cycle as the bacteria does not live in the water. It lives primarily in the filter, and partially on gravel and decorations.
Also, I've asked you this on several threads and still haven't gotten an answer...
What testing kit do you use??

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Yes, she has fish in there.
@Lauradesu water changes cannot destroy the nitrogen (ammonia) cycle as the bacteria does not live in the water. It lives primarily in the filter, and partially on gravel and decorations.
Also, I've asked you this on several threads and still haven't gotten an answer...
What testing kit do you use??
I think I keep forgetting to answer but I use the api master fresh water kit as well as the seachem total and free ammonia kit and for everyone else. Yes I have fish.they are fine thank you.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm glad to hear they're doing better! I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how much I would trust your LFS if they're uninformed about the nitrogen cycle.... Also, ammonium takes quite a while to go down by itself as the nitrifying bacteria prefer to feed on ammonia and it takes a good bit for them to convert ammonium. You can definitely do water changes without hurting your cycle and your fish.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
I'm glad to hear they're doing better! I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how much I would trust your LFS if they're uninformed about the nitrogen cycle.... Also, ammonium takes quite a while to go down by itself as the nitrifying bacteria prefer to feed on ammonia and it takes a good bit for them to convert ammonium. You can definitely do water changes without hurting your cycle and your fish.
As I dance around my tank like the village crazy lady that I am. I managed to get my ammonium to drop a little bit with a water change as well as purchasing hornwort. Also I saw some beautiful double finned guppies while I was at the store and I'm hoping they will still have them once my guppie tank is cycled. I dont even know what they were called but they were the most beautiful guppies ever

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ooh, I hope you'll be able to get your guppies. I'm glad it's all working out for you. If they don't have them when you go back, most, if not all, stores will order them again if you ask. Hornwort will help a lot, it's similar to anacharis and in my 60g with one goldfish I get maybe 2-3ppm nitrates a week (it's still good to do weekly water changes to replace lost minerals).

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Ooh, I hope you'll be able to get your guppies. I'm glad it's all working out for you. If they don't have them when you go back, most, if not all, stores will order them again if you ask. Hornwort will help a lot, it's similar to anacharis and in my 60g with one goldfish I get maybe 2-3ppm nitrates a week (it's still good to do weekly water changes to replace lost minerals).
I was told that hornwort helps with ammonium as well, hoping that this is true!!!!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's probably true, because my pH is ~6.6 out of the tap and I raised it somewhat for my tanks, but it does mean most of the ammonia I test is ammonium, and through some little experimentation, I know the anacharis absorbs it rather quickly, along with nitrites as well.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GUYS MY AMMONIA DROPPED TO 0.02 I'm so excited the water change and everything else that everyone told me to do here actually helped and now I'm sticking my nose in the air to people who tell me not to do water changes.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lauradesu said:
GUYS MY AMMONIA DROPPED TO 0.02 I'm so excited the water change and everything else that everyone told me to do here actually helped and now I'm sticking my nose in the air to people who tell me not to do water changes.
Great, I'm so glad it's working it out for you! Welcome to the site, I'm not sure I said that eariler (oops)

Ms rose said:
@Rtessy , the last comment is very interesting to me, so hornwort and anarcharis absorb ammonia and nitRITES?
Yes, in my experience "sponge plants" like anacharis are able to take in nitrogen not only in the form of nitrates, but also ammonia and nitrite. Pretty useful to have around in case of a spike (don't replace water changes with sponge plants though, especially if there's a spike)

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
See, now I'm staring at my guppy tank that has no ammonia or ammonium but has 0.25 nitrites and 40ppm nitrates. Like...........its the total 180 of my 50 gallon.

GUESS ITS TIME FOR A WATER CHANGE TONIGHT.

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lauradesu said:
See, now I'm staring at my guppy tank that has no ammonia or ammonium but has 0.25 nitrites and 40ppm nitrates. Like...........its the total 180 of my 50 gallon.

GUESS ITS TIME FOR A WATER CHANGE TONIGHT.
I'm lazy right now also and I want to binge watch outlander again.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Great, I'm so glad it's working it out for you! Welcome to the site, I'm not sure I said that eariler (oops)

Yes, in my experience "sponge plants" like anacharis are able to take in nitrogen not only in the form of nitrates, but also ammonia and nitrite. Pretty useful to have around in case of a spike (don't replace water changes with sponge plants though, especially if there's a spike)
Lol agreed on the wc. But thats so cool, very useful info

Lauradesu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did the water change on the guppy tank now I just gotta wait for a bit and test and hope some things have dropped or I'm seriously thinking about getting some hornwort for the guppy tank when I get back from my cottage from the long weekend this weekend

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You probably won't have to buy more, if it grows anything like anacharis, you'll have it coming out your ears soon enough. I got to a point where I am now having several feet of growth a day....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom