The dreaded end...

Bpkeeper

My son has one glofish which we thought was just constipated. We treated with salt bath and the condition worsened. We now have bloat and pineconing to the point where fishs back has started to split lengthwise. My question is, when do you pull the plug and euthanize and what method is easiest?

BlackOsprey

Euthanasia would probably be most humane. I haven't heard of many fish recovering from splitting open after all. Clove oil euthanasia is easy and pain free for the fish.

StarGirl

If its splitting from the pineconning its time. IMO. The easiest Ive found and most humane is the toothache medicine (clove oil) Eugenol. The little bottle with red cross and the cotton dabbers from the pharmacy. One drop in some tank water, mix it up and they knock out in seconds, add some alcohol and wait awhile. Most humane way Ive found.

StarGirl

If its splitting from the pineconning its time. IMO. The easiest Ive found and most humane is the toothache medicine (clove oil) Eugenol. The little bottle with red cross and the cotton dabbers from the pharmacy. One drop in some tank water, mix it up and they knock out in seconds, add some alcohol and wait awhile. Most humane way Ive found.
And so sorry this really does suck...

Bpkeeper

Ya it does. My son has lost 8 fish in the last few months from a variety of things, but this one came out of nowhere....

Sheldon13

Dropsy is a terrible thing to witness. Lucky fish he has you to send him off peacefully.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
imnotgreatwithfish
Replies
Views
jchen9827
10 Gallon Tank Hospital tank
Replies
Views
Flozeb
Replies