The Dark Hobby (anti-marine Aquarium Movie)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Jul 10, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    They're making a documentary to protest the marine aquarium hobby.

And they're calling us "The Dark Hobby"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4957624/

I just watched the trailer. The "facts" in the film are just a bunch of fake science rumors with no actual scientific evidence.

What are your thoughts on this film?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Honestly the use of cyanide to catch marine fish is the reason I don’t keep them.

3. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    99% of marine fish die within a year of being caught? Yeah right, if that were even close to true no one would bother with them. @Jesterrace would you mind telling us how many marine fish you've gotten in total and how many died within a year?
    What about aquacultured fish? Sure the parents were probably caught that way, but the offspring should be clean right?

4. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Most marine fish are wild caught because they don’t breed in captivity

5. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That's not really true. "most" is sorta subjective.

The MAJORITY don't breed in captivity, but a lot of the most popular species do breed in aquariums.

6. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +261
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hmm. I’m kinda curious to watch it.

7. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,152
    Experience:
    5 years
    Me too, but I'd have to watch it by myself cuz I'd be pausing it every 30 seconds to correct something

8. jjohnwm

jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,750
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm not sure they are completely off base. If an honest assessment were made I bet that the total percentage of marine fish dead within a year is 90%, if not 99%. Even freshwater probably exceeds 70%. We're talking mortality in the home tank, at the retail store, and all along the line from capture in the wild. At least with the freshwater fish, a significant number of the wild-caught specimens are kept by aquarists who attempt (often successfully!) to breed them. What percentage of the marine fish seen for sale in stores is captive bred?

Unless an animal is bred successfully in captivity, removing it from the wild and simply keeping it in captivity until it dies is really no different from a species-survival perspective than just killing it immediately. It has been removed from the gene pool, and is no longer contributing to the survival of the species; it's basically just taking up space, using up resources, and acting as an ornament. Perhaps it serves some function to foster an interest in nature among children, but beyond that...what is the point? Don't even get me started on the collection of live rock for aquarium use...

Before I hear how ridiculous this is, perhaps we could get a showing of hands of the marine aquarists on this forum who have successfully bred marine fish, along with species they have bred. I suspect it would be interesting and revealing...and not very extensive.

9. AquaticJ

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Not at a high enough scale to sell from a distributors standpoint. This is based off of working at 3 different fish stores and doing the salt water orders, they list when they are captive bred (and they’re considerably cheaper to us) and I still will say most are wild caught.

10. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,875
    Experience:
    2 years
    Any doco to protest something is usually that full of errors that it cant really be called a doco

11. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Actually, the Hawaiian fishery doesn't use any cyanide. Only nets.

It's a shame because the Hawaiian fishery is the main fishery the film rants about.

Become a Fishlore Member