The cycle

Tallen78

Ok FL so 3 weeks ago my lfs found me some ebjd. I wasn’t expecting them so I really didn’t have a tank ready for fish,but I’ve been hunting for these guys so when I got the call I ran and picked them up.I’m using a 55g for a grow out tank here’s my issue.not being ready I used very established media from my 155 g that has been running over a yr. I took out 1 pound of bio rings from my fx6’s to add to the 2 sun sun 302s on the new tank hoping for that instant cycle I hear about,but one problem 3 weeks later (today) I’m still showing ammonia in the tank .50 there are 8 small feeder fish in there to feed the bacteria no nitrites and 10ppm nitrates.what could be my issue here the 155 has about 100-115 fish in there so I know the media is well seeded.why can’t my filters with this media process .50 ammonia and how am I showing ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites ?

mattgirl

It isn't unusual not to see nitrites when well seeded media has been used so no need to be concerned about not seeing them. It is unusual to be seeing constant ammonia though.

How long ago did you move the media over to this tank?

Upvote 0

Tallen78

It isn't unusual not to see nitrites when well seeded media has been used so no need to be concerned about not seeing them. It is unusual to be seeing constant ammonia though.

How long ago did you move the media over to this tank?
Three weeks this past Saturday the tank was set up about a month ago it ran for about a week or so with nothing in it and I was getting no readings when I purchased the jacks I also grabbed the feeders to move the cycle along I added the seeded media and feeders the same day about 2 days later started testing to see where I was .25 ammonia and nothing else by week two I started seeing the nitrates but by then I was also seeing .50 ammonia reluctantly I did a 50% wc it lowered my ammonia but everyday thereafter I test .50 so I’m assuming that’s my daily load but even with the raise of nitrates I’m still showing ammonia

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Three weeks this past Saturday the tank was set up about a month ago it ran for about a week or so with nothing in it and I was getting no readings when I purchased the jacks I also grabbed the feeders to move the cycle along I added the seeded media and feeders the same day about 2 days later started testing to see where I was .25 ammonia and nothing else by week two I started seeing the nitrates but by then I was also seeing .50 ammonia reluctantly I did a 50% wc it lowered my ammonia but everyday thereafter I test .50 so I’m assuming that’s my daily load but even with the raise of nitrates I’m still showing ammonia
Doing the 50% water change was the right thing to do. Are you testing with strips or your API liquid ammonia test? Do they both agree on the ammonia level?

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Doing the 50% water change was the right thing to do. Are you testing with strips or your API liquid ammonia test? Do they both agree on the ammonia level?
Just an api master kit but I have 6 other tanks I tested to rule out a bad test I will test again when I get out of work I have the jacks in a 20g long right now so I guess that will continue to work till I see zero ammonia

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Just an api master kit but I have 6 other tanks I tested to rule out a bad test I will test again when I get out of work I have the jacks in a 20g long right now so I guess that will continue to work till I see zero ammonia
I can't think of a reason for the ammonia to still be there. With a tank this size with just 8 little fish in it the media should be taking care of the low amount of ammonia they are producing.

As long as your fish are doing well in the 20 all I can suggest is just give it more time or maybe you could move more media over from your cycled tank(s).

I do have to ask. The tank you took this media from has a lot of fish in it but how long has it been up and running with all these fish in it?

Upvote 0

Tallen78

I can't think of a reason for the ammonia to still be there. With a tank this size with just 8 little fish in it the media should be taking care of the low amount of ammonia they are producing.

As long as your fish are doing well in the 20 all I can suggest is just give it more time or maybe you could move more media over from your cycled tank(s).

I do have to ask. The tank you took this media from has a lot of fish in it but how long has it been up and running with all these fish in it?
Well over a year now I figured this tank is my longest running and most balanced that’s why I used it’s media I have sponges in every tank also but my thoughts were add seeded media to the canister and be done

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Well over a year now I figured this tank is my longest running and most balanced that’s why I used it’s media I have sponges in every tank also but my thoughts were add seeded media to the canister and be done
I agree. Media from that tank should be very well seeded. If you also have a sponge filter in the big tank it might not be a bad idea to move it over to the 55.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jb153
Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl