The Cory story

Discussion in 'Everythingzen' started by Everythingzen, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Or should that be non-story? I've got the new glass, the silicone, the sand, the filter running in another tank, all supplies are ready and waiting... Waiting for me. Yesterday I thought I'd give this tank fix a head start and at least get out the broken glass so I could silicone this weekend, ready for tank start-up next weekend, start of the school hols. Could be a bit of a project with the kids, etc. But the tank is... 'too' well made and I can't get the broken glass out without it shattering, and then having small bits still stick inside the top seal, etc. I'd like to take the top frame off so I can rebuild from the bottom up but it's plastic and honestly, I know I would snap it somehow. Plus, I have a burn on my right index finger from a drill bit incident last week which has now ulcerated and is being a right pain in the pants. Bah. And my new glass guy will have cut these pieces a little larger because he always does, so I'm going to have to remeasure and all that twice more. It's turning into a right opera, this is! I think I will make a coffee and go stand outside and stare at it for a bit. I'll get some pics on my broken iPhone, haha, so don't wait around for anything special. I'm having such a Barry crocker of a week.
    :;wv

2. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Well, I underestemated by ability to wreck things! With a little help from my glass pliers, cutter, a screwdriver and a multifunctional $2 knife from kmart, I am now free of the front and side of my tank! Yay! And the top rim is all intact, one of the side corner brace pieces is still intact, the base glass looks great and I am ready to get this party started!

All the large pieces are out and of course, once the large parts are gone the frame becomes much weaker with a lot of give, so I am able to easily wrestle the small bits out with the screwdriver and glass plier combo. I WILL silicone this tomorrow. :D

3. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Alrighty then. Time for an update. I've put aside the rebuild plans and am just going for a Pygmy tank for this species only. It's just under 10g so the 5 or so I've ordered should be fairly happy. I've got more peppered coming fir the community tank because pepe might be happier with some friends. He won't fit in this new old 10 tank, and seems happy enough with the gravel (I don't think it's sharp or rough) in the community, so there he will stay. I'll take the time to rebuild this other tank rather than excitedly rush anything. They can always move to this one if/when it gets finished and proves sealed.

I'm resigned to the crabitat heat pad never coming off, so there it will stay, lol. I don't know why I used such a lovely tank for those darn crabs who just dropped like flies at every molt! Anyhow, sand will go in later on, and everything else. I'll post as I make changes. Very exciting!

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

It's looking good!
    Was that a land hermit crab habitat?

5. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Thanks Lucy! Yeah, land hermit crabs. They're cool little things when they're not molting, lol.

6. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

We've kept them for years, up to 9 at one time. You're right they are cool. The one we have now, we've had for years.

Sorry, don't mean to derail your topic. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

You're not derailing :)

Got a little issue with lack of power boards. Husband will donating me one in a little while, hopefully. I washed the sand heaps but it's still really cloudy. Like, ridiculously cloudy!

Yeesh... lol

8. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

The rebuild is completely not happening now. I am going to buy another tank. I'm just not the anal, fastidious, nit picky type. You know? Speaking of anal, fastidious, nit picky types... I came here for fish learning and community. Instead, I'm finding it an excruciating 1984 type fun vacuum. Overreaction? Most likely. :) but that's just it - this is a fish forum, for fish keepers, not kindergarten teachers and their docile little lambs.

I'm going to get on with the now 2 tanks in planning/progress and just go back to being an ostrich. I'm an adult who doesn't actually need micromanaging, thanks. I hope to come back and update this here with photos, over time, because I quite adore the fish keeping biz. But anyhow, it's all sweet.

9. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

The baby pygmies seem to be settling in very well. God, they are SO tiny! I expected itty bitty little fish, but this is crazy! I set up an emergency sponge over the intake because they're not much bigger than wrigglers. Well, they were. They're growing surprisingly fast. I believe all 6 are still alive and well. It's hard to tell, lol. I've got a moderate HOB and a sponge, for aeration, and they get so blown around! I did manage to see all 6 at once a few days ago so I hope it is still all well.

I was going to move the peppered cories in, then decided not to, but I think I will now after all. They play hide and seek when I try to catch them from the big tank.

In other bouts of awesomeness, I won an excellent auction on eBay for a 55 gal. Ima gonna get a pleco! Not sure which type yet. I have to secure myself a fluval 405 first. eBay have super deals on those too. This really is the last tank though. I don't have room for more. I don't. No room. None. Ok? Ok.
    :;nin2

10. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

OH they are so cute. :D So are they going to be there temporary or this is the permanent home?

11. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I was tossing up between keeping them there or moving them to one of the bigger, but they have all since died. I'm rather sad about it. Cories are definitely one of my most favourite fish. Any corydoras, too, lol. I might up my peppered school a bit more and then see about the little pygmies again. I reckon a large school would be rather mad!

I had a fleeting thought of making the 75 a catfish only tank, but I think a huge tank with only fish sitting on the bottom or suckng on the walls might look a little rubbish! :;laughing

12. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

I thought of turning my ten into a cory tank too. IT seems like the school is getting bigger and bigger. LOL

13. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I like an all catfish look. LOL

14. haedra

haedraWell Known MemberMember

I think somewhere in my dreams I would have a GINORMOUS tank full of nothing but large shoals of different species of cories. :)