The Colony

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And so starts my journey, first shrimp tank set up and if I can look after these little critters well enough, there will be more to come I dripped them for around 2 hours and since Durban is warm, everything was at room temp (heaters rarely turn on during the day here) so I netted them straight in after I was satisfied. The two tanks I used previously had Betta owners and once in it looked like the shrimplets were eager to clean up after the former owners mess quickly picking up everything that they could hold.

Dripping peacefully while my Betta's in the first 2 tanks circled the pipes wondering whats happening
20190619_103758.jpg

I'm married to a photographer so she'll never know I showed others my cellphone pictures
20190619_131446.jpg
20190619_131514.jpg
20190619_131538.jpg

I swear, the shrimp are there! I may have to cut back on a fair bit of plants (and maybe the snails)
20190619_131635.jpg
20190619_131649.jpg

Attachments

JtheFishMan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sounds good!

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Swlws said:
And so starts my journey, first shrimp tank set up and if I can look after these little critters well enough, there will be more to come I dripped them for around 2 hours and since Durban is warm, everything was at room temp (heaters rarely turn on during the day here) so I netted them straight in after I was satisfied. The two tanks I used previously had Betta owners and once in it looked like the shrimplets were eager to clean up after the former owners mess quickly picking up everything that they could hold.

Dripping peacefully while my Betta's in the first 2 tanks circled the pipes wondering whats happening

I'm married to a photographer so she'll never know I showed others my cellphone pictures

I swear, the shrimp are there! View attachment 566816 I may have to cut back on a fair bit of plants (and maybe the snails)
Congrats on shrimp! Hope they all do well

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I cant see pictures but I think it's the format you used

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I uploaded them the other way now, maybe they will work like this the one tank has just cherry grade and the other has culls from higher grade yellow/black/blue/red with fancy names that I'm too lazy to look up... oh and they all Neo, to start I wanted the easier ones :emoji_see_no_evil:

20190619_103758.jpg
20190619_131514.jpg
20190619_131538.jpg
20190619_131635.jpg
20190619_131649.jpg

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's better did you have the help of a photographer to sort it LOL I like the setups

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are awesome! I love your betta tanks in the background! I need some like that!

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Crimson_687 said:
Congrats on shrimp! Hope they all do well
Me too thats why I'm starting with Neocaridina, months of research and tanks that have been running just as long. In about a month or so 3 more tanks will be matured and I'll bump up my colony

richie.p said:
That's better did you have the help of a photographer to sort it LOL I like the setups
:facepalm: ha ha ha, its me trying to use Fishlore on the phone web, app and on my pc, I get things mixed up once they settle in and colour up a little then I'll get my wiffee to take better pictures. I'm just excited to start, I've been shellfishly ogling your shrimp posts for months now

e_watson09 said:
Those are awesome! I love your betta tanks in the background! I need some like that!
yeh, it was supposed to be 10x 5 gallon tanks for my wife but I got distracted with other fish and shrimp so we only ever hit the 5 mark... and now I'm using "her" tanks for shrimp... I'm either going to sleep in the dogs house until I finish her "betta wall" or she'll just add bettas to the shrimp tanks :inpain:

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You betta finish it or you'll be in the dog house

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
You betta finish it or you'll be in the dog house
ok ok, you saw right through my one and got me good with yours but I think we should scale back on the fish puns before it gets out of control.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What shrimp do you intend on keeping

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
What shrimp do you intend on keeping
first couple months just Neocaridina of various grades in their own tanks, if it goes well then I'll try my hand at the easier Caridina moving up to at least grade S Crystal Black and Crystal Red, those two are my main shrimp interest as the colour contrast of their bodies are so visually appealing to me

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My first batch of shrimp have successfully molted and this weekend I saw my fist preggo, she even fanned her eggs for me like a proud mama shrimp funny enough, a few days before I saw some shrimp acting really weird and freeswimming all over like they were looking for something, I immediately did extra water tests just in case (all turning out fine as usual)... but I understand now that those must have been the males looking for the females
20190808_212520.jpg

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well done she is busting at the seems. And yes what you witnessed were the males picking g up on the pheromone the female gave off when she moulted

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You've not mentioned if your using RO water which you'll have to with caradina

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
You've not mentioned if your using RO water which you'll have to with caradina
I'm only using tap water now, thank you for the tip on using RO, I have read that its best when you need very specific water conditions like what caridina need

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know you done a lot of research on these on reading your post, if you have a spare tank when you start caridina try these if you like the colour this is the first generation of crystal red cross tangerine tiger I've also just setup a black bee cross orange tiger but no young yet, these will be such a nice shrimp when they get to 3rd &4th generation

Attachments

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
I know you done a lot of research on these on reading your post, if you have a spare tank when you start caridina try these if you like the colour this is the first generation of crystal red cross tangerine tiger I've also just setup a black bee cross orange tiger but no young yet, these will be such a nice shrimp when they get to 3rd &4th generation
I love the striping pattern on that, I may just follow that suggestion if they turn out as well as you think.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the time your ready mine should up to something decent, I'm sure well be talking a lot with the other shrimpers as you go on, theres probably quite a few watching what you do and how things pan out
Edit theyr not a bad bunch either

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Replaced all old plants with just Java Moss a while back and they seemed quite happy with the change. Might be going a little too hard with the tannin but so long as they're happy, I'm happy :emoji_blush:

20190827_173540.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom