The Christmas Fish...or Holiday Blue Betta

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Christmas is coming and people are flooding the stores. There are going to be many new presents and among them I am sure many new fish enthusiasts will be receiving tanks as gifts. Whether they be big tanks or small, whether community tanks or tanks built around one or two fish; I am making a Christmas wish that they have taken a bit of time to visit our forum (or somewhere) to find out something about what their new friends will need and how to take care of them BEFORE they try to fill those tanks.

We have all been there, the delicious excitement of having THE TANK and all the equipment (or so we think) and now ALL we need is the FISH (EEK!).

Perhaps you know of someone who will be getting a tank for Christmas and you do not know what to get them. If you are a REALLY close friend ~ and want to be remembered for a long time ~ a gift of Bio-spira and a link to Fishlore.com would be wonderful. Or if your pocketbook does not run that deep, at least take the time to talk to them and perhaps go with them to a fish store and explain what the needs of the fish are that they are looking at. We all know of many people who have been terribly misled by overenthusiastic salespeople eager to sell fish and fish equipment and caring not one wit whether the person is going to suffer by their decisions. And if the time for that does not present itself, then send them to Fishlore.com and ask them to look around and browse the topics before buying. It may not happen, but then again, it may.

So whether YOU are going out to save a betta for Christmas, or if you know of someone who is; it does not cost anything to spend some time and give some information and perhaps do yourself, your friend and some fish a good holiday deed.

Happy Holidays,

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
chickadee said:
Perhaps you know of someone who will be getting a tank for Christmas and you do not know what to get them.  If you are a REALLY close friend ~ and want to be remembered for a long time ~ a gift of Bio-spira and a link to Fishlore.com  would be wonderful.  Or if your pocketbook does not run that deep, at least take the time to talk to them and perhaps go with them to a fish store and explain what the needs of the fish are that they are looking at.
I absolutely agree When it comes to fish, the better gift would be the information instead the fish themselves. This is very true.

Merry Christmas to you too Rose

poefox

Well Known
Reaction score
That's a nice thought, Rose, and I agree. The couple that got the betta that I told you about--the ones who got it as an unexpected gift for their 3 year old--have been taking a little better care of their betta but the man in that relationship has a lot of preconceived notions about fish that he is stubborn about. All that he knows about fish are goldfish stereotypes--the 3 second memory and so on. When I explained about my bettas to him he was very skeptical. She on the other hand took what I said about feeding and attention more seriously. I think part of it is that he's still irritated about being given a pet (on behalf of a child who is by no means old enough to take responsibility) he neither expected nor wanted. I think this is a good example of why you should not give pets as gifts unless you know for certain people want them. (like for instance you know that they have a fish tank and are planning to get some fish--then taking them as a treat to the store and letting them pick what they want might be a good gift, or buying them some decorations for their tank or even a gift card instead.)

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
My sister is getting (from me) a nice 5 gallon tank with gravel, live plants and all basic supplies to get started. I will help her cycle the tank and when it's ready she and I can go to the store and she can pick out the Betta she likes. I'll make sure she has all the information and links to take care of the Betta. She will be a good fish mommy.

OP
chickadee

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is a lovely gift and the most important and loving part of it is the time you are willing to give her to help her get a successful start. This is a truly thoughtful and considerate way to present a gift of a pet. I am sure that she has seen and envied your little ones already.

Rose

New Threads