The case of disappering fish??? 60 Gallon Tank 

Cichilid_learner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello
Ive just recently bought a 250l tank and ive cycled it just fine I had a few casualties but nothing major, after I was done with my cycling fish I donated them to my friend who has a large community tank and I thought they would like it there.
My first lot of cichlids that I put in were 5 dems and they were great, I was told that they were 1 male and 4 females vut unfortunately that was not case so as they were all males!!! So I took them back to their respective shops (as it took me about 4 hours to go around and track 5 dems down) but I kept the smallest little male, he is about 6cm long tip to tail and his bars are just coming through.
Now I have found 5 young electric yellows they range from about 3.5cm to about 5cm and I went in and picked 1 male (black line starting on pecs and analfin) and 4 females and when I intorduced them I took all the rocks out of my tank and let them out then I rearranged the rocks to my liking.
For the first 3 days the single Dem and the 5 Electric yellows got on fine no displaying the fins, chasing or nipping at all so I was really happy and I couldnt wait until my order of 4 Female Dems to come in!

Now for the WEIRD part... on the 4th day I looked at my tank expecting to see all my little fish there but two were missing seemingly disappeared over night!! So I turffed all of my stones and plants out (as its a planted tank) and I couldn't see them anywhere, first I thought that my little Dem had eaten them but he didnt look distended or how I guess he would look if he had just eaten two fish nearly his own size. So my question is, Does anyone think that it sounds possible that those two electric yellows just disappeared into thin water or do you think that they were eaten?
(I also have a singular black neon that escaped my net when I gave my cycling fish to a friend and he is by far the smallest and slowest moving fish in my tank so I thought he would be munched first if anyone would?!?)

Please can someone help me out with this any and all ideas welcomed!!

Thanks Sam

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
more ifo on the plants and rocks would help are they fake or reall are they bushy leafy or tall plants that they could hide in more info would deff help

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a 3 inch yoyo loach disappear one night. I never found her.

Are you able to post a photo of your tank? Might give us a better idea with suggestions as to what happened.

Cichilid_learner

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi
Rocks are real from the beach (scrubbed and soaked but not in soap) and the plants are 3 x green flax and two low growing purple green plants of unknown name. I'll try to get a photo up ASAP.
Thanks for the quick replys!!!

Sam

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads