The Bonsai Dream {6.8 Gallon}

Lunnietic

It has been almost three years since I had my last aquarium, while I am not brand-new at this. I am new to the design I am trying to achieve. I have not decided what all I am going to house in my little dream aquarium as far as fish go, but I do know that I am going to get there. This is to help keep track of my progress and how far I have come.

Goal as of 9/17/21:
Fully Carpeted Bottom
Bonsai Tree

MoshJosh

I personally love dwarf hair grass, especially when its a carpet, I do recommend CO2 injection to achieve this. There are some pretty cool small CO2 regulators/equipment for nano tanks you could look into.

Not saying you have to go CO2, just a though (keep in mind I'm biased cause I would want CO2 on my dream tank haha)

Lunnietic

I personally love dwarf hair grass, especially when its a carpet, I do recommend CO2 injection to achieve this. There are some pretty cool small CO2 regulators/equipment for nano tanks you could look into.

Not saying you have to go CO2, just a though (keep in mind I'm biased cause I would want CO2 on my dream tank haha)
Oh no, I am most definitely going to have to go the CO2 route. (This part is something foreign to me, I've had planted tanks but used root tabs before)

icm_fullxfull.375167246_4m6wq2srphmoscks40gs.jpg
Ordered this beautiful little piece, it'll be the tree once it arrives. I will have to work on the carpet first.

jmaldo

watching.jpg

Good Luck!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Maybe blue dream shrimp? For the "dream" in their name. For fish suggestions, if you want them, we'd need to know how big it'll be.

bored411

Oh no, I am most definitely going to have to go the CO2 route. (This part is something foreign to me, I've had planted tanks but used root tabs before)

icm_fullxfull.375167246_4m6wq2srphmoscks40gs.jpg
Ordered this beautiful little piece, it'll be the tree once it arrives. I will have to work on the carpet first.
Looks exciting! I'm curious, what plants are you going to use for the carpet? And what are you going to use for the bonsai? I've heard of a few different plants that work well for both (especially with CO2) but curious to see what you end up choosing!

Lunnietic

Maybe blue dream shrimp? For the "dream" in their name. For fish suggestions, if you want them, we'd need to know how big it'll be.
I'm not looking for suggestions quite yet for stocking. I need to get the tank established first. (As I plan on doing the "dry" method for the bottom). I actually have decided to go with one of the UNS tanks. (The 7 gallon cube). But I have to wait until they are back in stock...which is what is holding up my progress.
Looks exciting! I'm curious, what plants are you going to use for the carpet? And what are you going to use for the bonsai? I've heard of a few different plants that work well for both (especially with CO2) but curious to see what you end up choosing!
There's a couple that I am interested in I haven't settled on a specific one quite yet.

SuspiciouslyFishy

Wow, this looks cool. Following.

Lunnietic

Wanted to give a quick update! Buceplants got the UNS aquariums back in stock. I just brought the 7 gallon that is 11.8 x 11.8 x 11.8, it should be arriving in a few days. Once I get it here, I'll be able to see better how I want things to lay out. This mean over the weekend, I may have some larger updates! (Their lids are currently out of stock, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I know for the planted bottom it won't matter as much at first).

I do plan on buying rocks for the aquarium--not for the substrate but for aqua-scaping--to keep the bonsai tree in place and make it better. I haven't decided fully yet on what kind of rocks. I also will be buying the substrate once I can make the decision between ADA Aqua Soil and Controsoil. I'm open to suggestions on either of these!

I also will be buying a cabinet for said aquarium, I've heard (not sure if this is a thing) that TV cabinets can work?

Lunnietic

Not as large as an updated as I have hoped. (Issues came up with my one of my fur babys). The tank should be here on Monday at the latest (earliest maybe tomorrow). I ended up buying rocks, yes, rocks, that are being sent in the mail 5lbs of it. I feel so silly. My partner even questioned me. "Rocks? Can't we just get those from the river?..." "No."

MoshJosh

My wife always gets a bit mad when I go to the fish store to buy "sticks", she says we have plenty of sticks in the back yard.

Lunnietic

My wife always gets a bit mad when I go to the fish store to buy "sticks", she says we have plenty of sticks in the back yard.
That's hilarious! He didn't agrue about the driftwood. Rocks were the breaking point.

Lunnietic

Probably the worst quality image ever. I am so excited it came! (This is not where it is staying). The rocks (I brought dragon stone) should be here on Friday. I'm not sure if I should put substrate down before the rocks? If so I need to buy it!

088798b5-bdc1-40ee-8473-89c4670756b0.jpg

MoshJosh

I guess it sort of depends, but yeah I would put in substrate first.

that said with this size tank/stones they would probably be fine on the glass.

alternitvly you could put little pieces of filter foam under the contact points and cover them with substrate later.

Or if you wanted the scape to be completely solid/locked down you could silicone it to the glass

Lunnietic

I guess it sort of depends, but yeah I would put in substrate first.

that said with this size tank/stones they would probably be fine on the glass.

alternitvly you could put little pieces of filter foam under the contact points and cover them with substrate later.

Or if you wanted the scape to be completely solid/locked down you could silicone it to the glass
I haven't thought about using silicone. Is all silicone safe? I feel like my research is never going to end with this project of mine. :) I've never quite gone to the lengths that I am going for, for this aquarium.

MoshJosh

No, not all silicone is aquarium safe, some silicones have additives to stop mold. GE 1 silicone should be safe, and Loctite makes a silicone that says aquarium safe right on the label. Those are the only hardware store silicones I’ve used, both worked fine. That said Petsmart near me sells marine land silicone specifically for aquariums, as should most local fish stores.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magua
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
Replies
Views