The Betta Dilemma+ Explanation

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I came up with this dilemma. Here it is.

You walk into your local fish store, and see the cups of sad bettas, resting at the bottom of each one.

You can either:
Buy every single one and give them their respective proper requirements.

Or:

Not support the deplorable conditions that these bettas are put through by not buying them.

This is not taking into consideration the cost and effort involved in keeping all these bettas long term.

I would buy every one if them, and here's why.

Bettas are the second most popular fish in the world. This means that each fish at the store will likely be bought anyway and brought to another unsuitable habitat. If not they will quickly perish in the cup.

Also, doesn't each animal's life as an individual matter? If you don't go buy it, the betta will almost certainly suffer in the cup or be sold to someone unaware of the needs of a betta. It will feel pain. Unlike buying, say, a pair of shoes made In a sweat shop, the bettas are living things. So buying 100 bettas is good, because you are making 100 lives better (or should I say betta).

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discus-Tang said:
So I came up with this dilemma. Here it is.

You walk into your local fish store, and see the cups of sad bettas, resting at the bottom of each one.

You can either:
Buy every single one and give them their respective proper requirements.

Or:

Not support the deplorable conditions that these bettas are put through by not buying them.

This is not taking into consideration the cost and effort involved in keeping all these bettas long term.

I would buy every one if them, and here's why.

Bettas are the second most popular fish in the world. This means that each fish at the store will likely be bought anyway and brought to another unsuitable habitat. If not they will quickly perish in the cup.

Also, doesn't each animal's life as an individual matter? If you don't go buy it, the betta will almost certainly suffer in the cup or be sold to someone unaware of the needs of a betta. It will feel pain. Unlike buying, say, a pair of shoes made In a sweat shop, the bettas are living things. So buying 100 bettas is good, because you are making 100 lives better (or should I say betta).
If I was a millionaire right? I would spend it in three days trying to save as many critters and children as I could. But, alas, I am not.
If I were, I’d buy them all as well. Because those little lives do matter. They’re living beings. Trapped through no fault of their own in a tiny nasty cup. And not buying them will indeed allow them to suffer. Once gone, the store gets more. Unlike not buying fur because you want cruelty to dogs, cats, mink, badgers, bunnies etc... to end by cutting off demand, these guys are suffering there. Right in front of you. I’m with you one hundred percent!

wolfdog01

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree. My view is this: either they die suffering in the cup or they die comfortably at home. It doesn't matter if someone buys them or not, when they die in the cup the company will just get more, so I would rather buy one that can live a happy life in my tank until he dies. Am I supporting a bad trade? Sure, but so is everyone else who buys them and puts them in vases. If you don't buy them to not support the trade, then they are suffering. When I go to Petco and I see someone looking at bettas I always talk to them. One family wanted to breed their male and was looking for a female, some manager at the store walked over and told them how she kept a male and female in a ten gallon tank together 24/7. Then one of the kids found a dead betta in a cup so the manager went to throw it out and while she was gone I told the family how many tanks they would need to separate the males and how difficult it can get. They instantly changed their minds and did not want a female anymore, the manager just glared at me when she came back lol.
I think more people just need to be informed about bettas, then those who are buying them would give them a better home and be able to take care of them more.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom