The Betta and the Buddha

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my newest Betta 'Aenara', a 9 week old female. I've had her for about a week and have had my eye on her since she first arrived at the store at age 5 weeks and was barely the size of a tadpole!
She was completely white when I got her but I've been feeding her color enhancing food and she has developed a lot of red on her tail and a bright green spot on the top of her head. It will be interesting to see what other colors develop on her as she grows.
She seems to have an unlimited supply of energy, just like any kid and can't stop swimming madly around the tank exploring, racing and playing hide and seek under the bridge. The only time she slows down is to occasionaly go and stare at the Buddha and then she goes and kisses him, sometimes on the belly and sometimes right on the lips! She has some strange fascination with him! I managed to capture a couple of pics of her "praying" in front of the Buddha but missed the shot of her kissing him on the lips.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She is cute! ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
She is a darling and she does make me miss my little one a lot.

It is a precious shot with her "praying".

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Phloxface she is so precious.  Because of the name of this thread, I can't resist sharing this pic that I found on the web.  I can't remember where I found it though so can't give creator proper credit   I continue to look for it now and then.  Should I find it, I'll be sure to give proper credit (will edit this post).

I'm not sure how to add this pic so hope this is right.  If it isn't, feel free to delete and I'll retry.

P.S. I'll be creating a tank very similiar in the future and a cambodian Betta will be my next one I hope

clear.gif
[/img]

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that ever the neatest tank. Some of you ladies have the most amazing sense of decor. I should hire one of you to decorate my tank. All I have is a cluster of plants and a faux grecian ruin. And very pretty little lady betta you have. Thanks for sharing.

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
poefox said:
Is that ever the neatest tank. Some of you ladies have the most amazing sense of decor. I should hire one of you to decorate my tank. All I have is a cluster of plants and a faux grecian ruin. And very pretty little lady betta you have. Thanks for sharing.
Oh I'd love to take credit for that buddha tank pic I shared but I didn't do that.  It's a pic I found on the net.  I was admiring Phloxface's tank....and Rose's too!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately, mine is still a tank in progress as the real plants are all gone and my bettas are hating it. I am trying to get my vendor for plants back into my life. He has the best plants but for some reason once I got the new computer, I haven't been able to contact him. I will go to and see if he can be contacte through there as he is the Administrator there. He got me my favorite little plant and the snails decimated it.

The bettas are not happy with the fake plants so they are getting the real thing from Santa.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My fish are getting all new plants for Xmas too.  I hated the selection at Petsmart. They only had about 6 different kinds and all were the same size. They have no small foreground plants. They are also really unhealthy looking and infested with snails. Last weekend I went across town to check out "Big Al's" fish store and was really impressed with the awesome selection of healthy beautiful plants they have. The plant tanks are spotless, clean and no snails. They had several varieties of Amazon swords including one with reddish leaves which I'll be getting. Also dwarf hairgrass which I'm told grows quickly to give the bottom of the tank a nice green carpet. Would like to grow a patch of that though not covering the whole bottom. They had some healthy thick small java ferns which I'll get for all tanks. They had a large selection of rocks too and I already picked up a few nice pieces for Phlox and Lava (I boiled them for a few hours to clean them). Lava is getting an unusual looking 5 inch tall "Easter Island" statue ornament for his tank to sit inside the cluster of plants. I thought it looked really cool.
Big Al's had some gorgeous marine fish and I spent hours there watching them but the Bettas were heartbreaking...  They had them in tiny bowls, smaller than the cups at Petsmart, in a lighted display case (it was warm in there at least). All the Bettas were HUGE and I asked how old they were. The guy told me they were about 2 years old!  They were all show Bettas that had been used for breeding and now that they are too old the breeder gave them to the store to sell. I assume a lot of breeders just destroy the ones who are too old to breed. They don't consider them pets!  :'(  The fish were so beautiful! They had a mustard gas, several flawless blues and reds, a couple of pure black, two bright lemon yellow fish with unusual yellow eyes with tiny black iris in the center and a fish with a silvery white body with an orange-pink crowntail with small darker pink dots. His tail reminded me of strawberry cream. These fish were SO gorgeous but have never been loved or kept as pets. They have little time left in their lives. They were selling them for only $3.  Sad to think most will end up either dying in the store or being bought and stuck in a tiny bowl or vase. It's almost as if their own beauty worked against them and kept them from simply being sold as pets at a young age. One red veiltail was enormous, over 3 1/2 inches and stuck in a bowl holding "maybe" 1/2 cup water! I asked if this was a giant Betta because I've never seen one so big! He said he was a regular Betta. He was so large he had to stay in a bent sideways position as he was too large to stretch out across the tiny bowl. I felt like weeping!  :'( :'( :'(
If I had the space and tanks I'd have bought every last one of them and given them a happy home for what time they had left, but sadly it's just not possible.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That was the case with Rusty when I got him--he's actually fully mature and had his fins somewhat bent. I thought he was deformed at first but I bought him anyway. He was the only one there that still had some spirit and curiousity.

I don't like sentimentality about animals and never expected to feel affection for fish, but I like bettas. It's a shame they get treated like that and I hope the petitions and letters will ultimately have some effect. It would be nice if at least they were displayed in 1 or 2 g tanks. It wouldn't be that expensive--there are always those small used tanks in a petstore, and they don't really need much care when you think about it. For the minimum they need they aren't treated very well.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't know how NOT to be sentimental about my fish. I do not however have the same depth of feeling about other animals although I refuse to see any animal mistreated.

Bettas are mistreated in a lot of stores, but I think in some stores the word is getting through. There are also a lot of stores who will no longer carry bettas because of the "INABILITY of the staff" (their explanation/not mine) to spend the time caring for them. We also have a store that does not carry them because of the lack of space and they will not put them in cramped quarters. (better than nothing)

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Love the pics Phloxface!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom