The Best Way To Research Fish Profiles?

1. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of stocking options. Is there a way to check out the profile for the fish I am interested in? I want to make sure I have the same conditions, appropriate tank size, compatibility, etc.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I use a method. I avoid Seriously Fish. It is wrong too often.

I start with a book, ideally the Baensch atlas. I move to Fishbase, a scientific site, to confirm temperature and geographic origin. Then, using only the Latin name (the English name gets you the selling sites) I hunt down some articles on varied sites. I try to get a consensus from them.
    Usually a catfish will get me planetcatfish, noted above. But there are similar sites for most fish groups. Stay away from sites that sell. They have an interest in glossing over problems.

If I find 2 cichlids I want have the same breeding needs, then I don't combine them. For all fish, I look for the same feeding needs, water hardness and temperature.

5. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

Thank you, NavigatorBlack. That is helpful to know about selling sites. I read a LOT about fish, but this is my first foray into doing research for possible purchase. It seems a bit overwhelming trying to match requirements, etc., but it is kind of fun.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

@NavigatorBlack Interesting! I've never heard that about seriouslyfish before. Is there any aspect in particular regarding care / needs of fish that you've noticed they typically seem to miss?

7. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I also check 'specialty' forums,reading posts from people who have kept the species I am interested in for years and bred them.
    Luckily, I can check German sites as well and if anyone knows something about fish, it is the Germans :)

8. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

That's interesting! I can read & understand High German, but my mother tongue is the Schwabish dialect. I've never come across German articles on the internet.

9. Piaelliott

Oh yes, I remember now :)

Just Google the Latin or German name and add a few German words like Haltung/Vergesellschaftung and you'll find I info.
    I am usually able to find info about the rarest fishes.

For example IGL - Home is an international association of fish experts and work groups, mostly interested in labyrinth fish.

Be aware,even speaking the language, I had severe problems understanding what I was reading because I only got interested in fish here and therefore I am not familiar with the German words regarding fish keeping,let alone the horrible German fish names,for example,a banjo catfish is a frying pan catfish (Bratpfannenwels :), German Ram = Suedamerikanischer Schmetterlingsbuntbarsch :)

10. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

Thanks for the info! I will have to check that out. And I can imagine there are High German words I'll have to look up. As for lengthy German words... I'm used to those but I'll admit it would be nice to shorten them. :) How many hours of his life does a German speaker spend on very lengthy words that could have been made shorter?!

11. Piaelliott

Haha,that's why we are so detail oriented, keeping those vowels and consonants in check requires dedication ;)