1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

The best test kit EVER

1. Oliver5672

Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

I've just been to my Lfs as they've had this huge anniversary sale and a bunch of new stock in, for fish and equipment. One of their new products is the JBL pro scan test kit which lets you test your water for nitrate nitrite etc from an app on your phone! It gives you specific results tells you if their safe, caution or dangerous to your fish and tells you solutions as well! I dont know if anyone else has this product but I think its one of the best buys I've ever made!

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Thats pretty awesome. Have you compares the results given to the liquid test results? Does it check ammonia? What is the name of it?

Advertisement

3. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

I've seen those and I'm quite leary on them. They use test strips and photo recognition and I'm sure the test strips aren't the cheapest. I have 'heard' they are accurate though, but I don't see many using it, so I can't say for sure

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

They're just as accurate as my liquid tests but unfortunately they don't check ammonia. It's called JBL proscan test kit. Too be fair they are quite expensive but so are liquid kits.

Advertisement

5. Grimund

Liquid kits get hundreds of tests per purchase, I think the JBL gets like 25-30 per set of strips?

6. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

true but liquid test kits at my Lfs are like 130 pounds each whereas these are 20. so I think it balances out in the long run

7. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Good grief! What kind of liquid test kit do they carry???

8. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

an expensive one

9. Aquaphobia

You can't get the API Master kit?

10. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

didn't think of looking online of course, but I still think that these strips are very helpful

11. Aquaphobia

Oh for sure they're helpful! It's just that the API kit is much more cost effective than strips and more accurate. Your strips may be read accurately by a computer, but you can't know whether the strip showed the right colour ;)

12. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

I keep a spare liquid test kit with me as well so I often cross check to make sure their even more acurate and also to test for ammonia

13. Grimund

The individual API kits are roughly $5 USD. You could slowly build a kit if you can find them local. Even add a GH/KH test too. It might wind up being more expensive in the end, but acquirable over time

14. Aquaphobia

Nice. I can't get the individual API tests and the Nutrafin tests are usually $20 each! I did discover a LPS that stocks just the reagents for $5 a bottle though so I may have to switch brands;)

15. Grimund

I think the GH/KH kit is my next purchase

16. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Going a little bit off topic with this post but I think my tank has finished cycling, just wondering if you agree with me. Nitrite 0 nitrate 25 ammonia 0. PH 8.0. the tank is for rift lake cichlids so this is about right. Then this is the one part ok not sure on GH 20 ish Kh 20. these are both a little high but I've never tested with these before and I think some link into ph so im just wondering if this tank is ready for its first fish?

17. Grimund

I would say it looks like it. Fishless I assume?

Just keep dosing until fish are thrown in

18. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Yep fish less I've been using ammonia, I have a fish ready in a smaller tank so I'll add him when I get the chance

19. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Are you sure the gh/kh isn't too high?

20. Grimund

20 drops? Or ppm? Nobody seems to label these for hardness tests

I would think you'd be fine with those numbers. Your pH will resist swings a lot. Your fish should be acclimated slowly (drip) if your water in his current tank is different from this tank. It's higher then the ideal max I've seen, but fish do acclimate to higher pH much better than lower.

I'm no expert on this matter though.