The Best Cory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuddyD, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BuddyD

BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

Which would be the best Cory to have in a 20 gallon long tank with black sand?

Sterbai -

pygmy -

Panda -

2. minervalongWell Known MemberMember

I'm partial to the salt and pepper pygmys. Cute, active and you have enough room for a proper school of them.

3. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

What temp., what other fish, and what are the water parameters as that decides what are the best Cories for the tank.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. JeffK

JeffKWell Known MemberMember

Sterbai are a warmer water cory, while pandas prefer cooler temps. If you stock other temperature compatible fish, I think panda corries look great with black sand.

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Depends on the other stocking but Pandas and Hastatus would probably have the highest contrast with the sand.

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

doesn't matter which is best with black sand , what matters is what's your plans to keep the temp at?

7. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

That's not what I asked.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

But important to give you an answer on what you did ask.

9. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

If you can't answer the question at hand....move on.

10. Lance0414

Yes, but we can't tell you the best Cory for your tank until we know what all is in your tank and what the temperature is.

11. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

The tank is empty right now, It will be home of a Albino DoJo Loach I have, it's at 4inches. I usually set thermometer at 72 degrees. I'm getting info before the tank is ready, so i'll be ready when the time comes. I may put the Red Tailed Shark in there also.
    I want to let Shrimp populate my current tank.

12. Lance0414

I would do Panda Cories in that stock but be cautious with the RTS as they can get aggressive to other bottom feeders. You could also do Bronze Cories and they would be a better choice to do because they get larger and are more armored.
    Edit: RTS will eat shrimp mercilessly.

13. JesseMoreira06

agreed with @Lance0414

Hopefully you have a large tank dojo loaches can up to 12" very fast and should be kept in groups of atleast 3 and would need a 55g at the bare minimum.

14. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

Wrong. All reports i've read say max 10 to 11 inches. And i've also read from people that have kept them in smaller tanks on there own with just a Betta or other fish and they've lived 7 years according to one and 10 years according to another.

15. C_mats54

C_mats54Valued MemberMember

16. JesseMoreira06

hahaha go on better sites such as ssriouslyfish or fishbase, dojo loach can reach 12" and whom ever said they can live with Betta should go back to researching or are just terrible fish keepers who dont care about the well being of their fish because dojo loaches are cold water need temps under 72f while bettas need 78f-80f and never should anyone ever put a dojo loach in a Betta tank at 5g they need 48" of space at the very minimum and should to be kept in groups of 3+.

Keep doing research...

but I can already tell your just going to disagree and go against everything and going to do whatever you please anyways because many were asking you what temp are you going to keep your water and you kept going around saying that's not the question but in reality it's a very important question to know your temp of the water because different species of corys have different temp ranges.

sorry to be blunt just bothers me when people question things in a negative way when they clearly don't have experience or the know hows with the specific fish. which I am in no way saying I know everything because I don't, but I listen to others that have more experience in something specific.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

Good article. I see nothing there to dispute what i've read before.

18. OP
    OP
    BuddyD

I did mention the temp. You must have overlooked it.

The tank is empty right now, It will be home of a Albino DoJo Loach I have, it's at 4inches. I usually set thermometer at 72 degrees. I'm getting info before the tank is ready, so i'll be ready when the time comes. I may put the Red Tailed Shark in there also.

19. JesseMoreira06

That's fine , I wasn't talking about the temp. I only mentioned it because you said some keep them with bettas which is wrong. bettas are tropical species while dojo are cold water.

I was just letting you know, that hopefully you have a large enough tank to accommodate the dojo loach because they enjoy company of other dojos and can get to 12", but regardless even for a RTS they require a 55g as well they get 6" but are extremely active fish as well as territorial.

20. C_mats54

C_mats54Valued MemberMember

Spot on

21. JesseMoreira06

btw super jealous of your Hoplo catfish!!! (bio pic ) I want them so bad but no where to be found in my area :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice