The best Betta food

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so I'm assuming when I get my female Bettas they will be very competitive for food, so I probably won't have to deal with picky eating. Am I right? If so, that means I get to pick what they eat, so which is better as far as nutrition, pellets or bloodworms? Or could I feed both? And maybe throw in brine shrimp once or twice a week? Also, Rose--when you say 6-7 bloodworms, I'm assuming that means in one meal, so does that mean they get 12-14 total in one day, or do you only feed Bettas once a day?
Sorry, too many questions.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well you are going to have a bit harder time dealing with the 6-7 worms a meal when you have more than one Betta to deal with.  I have just gotten to putting some pellets in the tank and watching them go.  The trick to feeding multiples is going to be something on the order of either seperate them (which I am not convinced is going to be the answer) or just watch to make sure everyone gets to eat and hope for the best.  Believe me, I am still picky about my Bettas, but I have to weigh the benefits of dealing with one at a time to the hazards of netting them for every meal and that is dangerous disease wise.  So far everything is working okay this way.

The best food to feed for every betta to get some is the floating pellets.  They stay on top of the water long enough for the fish to get to them and of those there are only 2 brands I have found that my Bettas will even put in their mouths without spitting out.  There are others they have shown interest in but the pellets are simply too big for the Betta mouths.  Be especially careful about the size of pellet with the females as their mouths appear to be smaller than the males.  (of course they are babies, but Noel and Marty were when I got them too)  The brands with small enough pellets and that the Bettas (except for Marty who wouldn't put ANY pellet in his mouth) are Hikari Betta Bio-Gold (probably most available - haven't found too many places that don't have them that do sell Bettas); and Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Food. (one kind has a pink lid and the other a blue - the girls are of course wild about the pink lid and Noel loves the blue  -  Don't know how available it is, I think I ordered it online.

The pink one is the one they like the best and is the small little pellet needed for little mouths.

I hope this helps.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks. Do you think they would notice if I fed them more than one thing, like pellets one day and bloodworms another?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think they will be the ones calling the shots. They may not eat the bloodworms or pellets. You know that they can be very opinionated. LOL You can try to feed them however you want to, but as you are fond of saying, "It depends on the Betta."

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hehe yes, It depends on the Betta. That was kind of a dumb question for me to ask... : I'm hoping females in groups won't be overly picky, due to the competition... (can't you just imagine...betta 1 eats bloodworms only, betta 2 eats pellets only, betta 3 eats brine shrimp only, not sure what betta 4 likes... boy would that be an instant nervous breakdown hehe)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would maybe be easier in a way because you wouldn't have to worry about them not eating because they wouldn't eat each others food. LOL

Rose
;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
fine. there are 2 dominant bettas--one eats bloodworms and one eats pellets, and there are 2 un-dominant( bettas, who also eat one of each. then you have to feed 2 foods as well as making sure the "un-dominant" bettas get food.
;D

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing a really good argument here for keeping one betta per tank, and that a male.
(though Rose's girls are awfully cute)

I suspect Rusty would eat just about anything if I let him, as long as I let him. He believes opening the tank lid means being fed. Not being played with or getting attention, being fed. Greedy little cuss.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
poefox said:
I'm seeing a really good argument here for keeping one betta per tank, and that a male.

I suspect Rusty would eat just about anything if I let him, as long as I let him. He believes opening the tank lid means being fed. Not being played with or getting attention, being fed. Greedy little cuss.
My Raspy is the same way. If I open the lid and don't feed him he sulks for what he feels is a suitable time for me to understand that he's mad at me. They really are amazing, aren't they???

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've had three females together for the past two days and feeding them is relatively easy. I actually have cories and rasboras in the same tank so I feed it three different ways. First I have to drop in a sinking food for the cories. Then I feed the rasboras over in the left side of my tank. Then I hand feed the bloodworms over on the right side of the tank. So far it has been working perfectly. All four of my bettas (1 male and 3 females.... dont worry, separate tanks) eat bloodworms. I guess I just got lucky.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
poefox said:

I know exactly what u mean my male and female everytime they see me rush to the side of the tank and start 'mouthing' the surface of the water like they do when they haven't been feed all day they are greedy little snots but what are u gonna do make sushi out of them :p

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ebb!!!! you did it!!!  How are they and what are they like and when will we see pictures?  I can't believe that you haven't said a word!!  (or have I missed it?)  Congratulations.

Welcome Little Girls!!    Congratulations, Ebb!!

Rose

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
You have no idea how hard its been not to say anything.  But I didnt want to jynx anything.  They were looking healthy but you never know when your buying from my local fish stores.  I didnt want to tell everyone and then... you know... lose them.  I still havent named them either... I'm sure their gonna be fine but just in case.  

I posted pix under "Surprise!!!"  Also I didnt tell anyone about my plans because the buy was kind of a spur of the moment thing.  My lfs never, ever has females and then there they were staring me in the face.  I take the cake for most impulsive person alive.  I was afraid that if i didnt get them right away theyd be gone by the time i got back.  And they were so beautiful... I couldnt let that happen.  One of them i got cuz she reminded me of misty  ;D.  And what a personality on her!  Hidin in plants and soooo curious and innocent.

I love bettas.  I still wanna get a 33 gallon long and move my cories and the females into there.  We'll see what the future holds.  I've been spending way to much money on fish lately so I think thats gonna have to be in a little while.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i just posted how much she reminds me of Misty. I did a double take and had to check and make sure I was where I thought I was. Just think TWINS hundreds of miles apart. Sounds like they have the same type of personality too.

You are going to really fall in love with these little girls. If you aren't there already.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats Ebbandflow!!! I bet they are so much fun! I can't wait to check out the pics. hehe don't worry about being impulsive, I just bought SIX Pygmy Cories out of impulse...my lfs got them and they like never have them and I just had to have some...sometimes it's just too hard to resist, isn't it? ;D
Have fun with the new Bettas!! (you're makin me jealous, I can't get my girls for a while still)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
  Congratulations on the New Pygmies! 
Welcome Little Guys!    Have Fun in the 20 Gallon! 

Hopefully it won't be long and you can start looking around for the little girls.   

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks They're such little cuties. Maximum size is only an inch. Yes, hopefully it won't be too long before I can get my girls. But it probably will be, because one of my Pygmies is sick , and I am getting some Panda Cories also I think (of course before the Bettas), and also I have to put off getting fishies because my horseback riding instructor wants me to be a junior counselor in their horse camps and the first one is next week . phew that was a long sentence. :

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom