The Best Beginner's fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Subha92, Jul 3, 2016.

1. S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

Hi Guys & Gals,
    I've just came to know that there are so many aquarists who don't have the proper ideas about Biginner's fish. Just only for them, I would like to share something as follows.

Biginner's fish : The fish which are kept, just after the proper cycling (Fishless Nitrogen Cycling) of the tank with minimum cares and maintenance.

Some example of Biginner's fish :
    1. Danios™ (My Favourite)
    [​IMG]
    2. Platies
    [​IMG]
    3. Guppies

4. Gouramis

5. Sword Tail

6. Bettas™ (My Favourite)
    [​IMG]

There are so many other types of fishes available and are considered as the Biginner's fish. So please Guys/Gals post here some of your valuable opinions about the biginners fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Danio and Betta aren't trademarked names;)

I like your list, but I'm sure that tetras belong on there as well.

3. Pastel.Fish.

Pastel.Fish. Valued Member Member

Guppies and Bettas are amazing first fish! The first Betta I owned lived 2 years and my first guppy lived for 3 years straight! Great list by the way!

4. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

It's sad that beginners can't, are not advised or won't purchase larger tanks as in my experience larger species are way sturdier and larger tanks much more stable.

I mean big tetras such as Congo and Arnold's, Kissing Gouramies, Angelfish, Loaches, Catfish and doubtless others I haven't yet kept.

I would never recommend to beginners the usual little colourful types such as guppies, neon tetras, zebra danios, dwarf gouramies etc. which seem to me to be more fragile these days and seem to come inbred and with inbuilt diseases/parasites waiting to break out.

These latter are now in my opinion quite challenging fish to keep.They are the only ones which give me problems.

5. PrinceOfPride

PrinceOfPride New Member Member

@Redshark1

From what I've heard from other beginner fish keepers, I definitely agree with you on the neons. A lot of newbie fish keepers I've met have had trouble with these fish as they seem so fragile and sensitive to the water conditions.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Subha92 Valued Member Member

Redshark1 and PrinceOfPride

This is really true that the Guppies and Neon Tetras are really very sensitive to the water parameters. Though some of the beginners maintain them so well, that some times they have to make recommend that one to others. My advice will be straight & forward, please avoid controversies and try to get some fishes which are really tolerable against unstable water parameters beyond any doubt.

Redshark1
    It is also true that the beginners are not adviced to keep their fishes in a bigger tank. I don't know why, the pet shop owners don't advice their customers the best deal. But it should be clear & loud for all the Biginners

"PLEASE BUY A BIGGER AQUARIUM FOR YOU FISHES. KEEP IT IN YOUR MIND, THE BIGGER WILL BE ALWAYS BETTER. SO PLEASE HAVE A BIGGER TANK WITH PROPER FILTRATION AND TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENT SYSTEM."

7. Redshark1

I understand that the fish I mention, guppies, neon tetras, zebra danios, dwarf gouramies come with diseases which cannot be spotted when the fish are in the shop.

It has happened to me and I have purchased both healthy and unhealthy stock without being able to differentiate although I have the experience to spot fish that have an advanced condition.

Viruses and other parasites that live in the nerves and spinal column are impossible to spot in the shop unless they have developed sufficiently to produce visible symptoms.

I believe health issues due to other micro-organisms are a very underrated cause of problems by us fishkeepers.

In research laboratories there is great concern that their fish are frequently compromised by disease organisms rendering their research invalid.

Regarding the expense, I guess it's an expensive hobby to start up with so people tend to be introduced gently to the hobby with a relatively inexpensive (an I would say unsuitable) aquarium. Many would not even start if the first aquarium had a much bigger cost.

I would say people, especially young people, succeeding with these small tanks are the real heroes of our hobby because of the care and dedication required.

8. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

For any begineers or advance there is a dollar per gallon sale at Petco till July 17. Beginners should start out with bigger tanks. If you are thinking about a fish tank take advantage of the dollar per gallon sales. I understand most may not be able to spend the amount of money for a 40 gallon which is usually $90 but during the dollar per gallon its only $40. The bigger the tank the more fish and the kind of fish you can get. Even if you want guppies or mollys you would be able to get more or what you want with a bigger tank. With tetras you are able to either get bigger schools or larger schooling fish such as congo tetras. You would also be able to do an actual community tank with a bigger tank instead of just getting 5 different species and add them in a 20 or 10 gallon.

9. DrSahl

DrSahl Valued Member Member

I also agree with the statement that its sad newcomers don't buy larger tanks, I myself started with a big tank actually and it helped me keep the interested.

I had some of the mild/medium agressive malawi cichilds and tbh they have been the most easy fish of all I have had (even the setup in itself with rocks and sand are easy to maintain)

There is also the fact that larger tanks are easier to keep clean (it sounds stupid but its true) as to smal tanks that are a to clean im0

10. col7on

col7on Valued Member Member

In my opinion catfish are the most durable species while some are fragile others are built like tanks

11. A

Agree! Sometimes newcomers to the hobby become disinterested because they couldn't get the fish they wanted or a school of fish due to their tank either a 10g or even a 20g being too small. They usually then get a fish that will be able to live in the 10g or 20g but the fish doesn't interest them and they drop the hobby due to it not being interesting.

12. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Beginner fish I'd say Betta splendens definitely are probably the best(as long as you care for them properly), some barbs are great beginner fish as well. Like cherry barbs, they are colourful and great! Good idea for a thread.:)

13. Demontay1

Demontay1 Well Known Member Member

I will have to second this statement cat fish van be rather durable when i statyed fishkeeping i received the same information keep small its easier wish i had of know back than it was easier to have a large tank haha

Other fish i would suggest being really durable would be corydora catfish theyre susceptible to ich if thier is an outbreak present but if not on most parts theyre really hardy great begginer fish and active enough too keep evem the most experiance aquarist interested

14. A

Bettas are one of the best beginner fish due to there durability but don't let that mean you can mistreat it. You should still treat it as you would treat rainbows. They should still have a tank that is filtered and heated. It would also help if you set the tank as you would with tetras such as having plants and substrate.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  15. Redshark1

I have found Bettas reasonably good beginner fish, with a few caveats due to their aggression and vulnerability to fin nipping.

However, while on this forum I have noticed many people having problems with Bettas so I'm not sure.

When I have kept them I have tried to ensure they have an interesting environment to explore, suitable tankmates and also live foods to ensure they are not alone and perhaps bored.

First use 063 - Copy.jpg

16. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

I love guppies so much. They are little sweeties and let me touch them. It makes me so sad that they are so fragile. I had one die on my recently and I have no clue why.

I do have two of the yellow micariff (I believe) and they both went through a crazy cycling situation in my 10 gallon and are now happy in my 40

17. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

First off I am a beginner, at least that what I believe to be, I'm far from an expert lol. I believe some rainbow fish would also make a good beginner fish as well as cory cats. I actually don't recommend live bearers too much to beginners because it can be difficult to sex them correctly and then they could end up with an overstocked tank with fry. I haven't mastered sexing fish yet. ;)

As far as the whole discussion on all beginners need to get a larger tank. I would have to disagree. A larger tank to me is around 75 gallons and up. I'm in an apartment so I can't get that big. The biggest I am going is a 40 gallon breeder and that is not my first tank. My first tank as an adult I specifically bought a five gallon for a betta fish, then upgraded her to a ten gallon once I saw her active personality. I do not wish to go any bigger then a ten gallon for my betta fish and her nerite snail friends. The ten gallon is perfect for her activity level, and I wouldn't want to go bigger then have to get more fish because I have an aggressive female.

What I suggest for a beginner is instead of not being able to get a tank because can't get a bigger tank, is to simply make sure to get fish that fit the tank size they can get. There are plenty of fish that do work in a ten gallon that are not that difficult to take care of such as betta, sparkling gourmai, and celesterial pearl danios.

18. PrinceOfPride

PrinceOfPride New Member Member

I think part of the problem with bettas (aside from the misinformed beginners) is the more well informed beginners making "pity purchases." Most bettas are hardy fish, but I've seen some people going to places like Walmart or some of the poorly maintained pet shops and purchasing sickly bettas with the intent to save them. Which results in a fish with health problems and possibly a poor genetic history.

19. C

Charc15 New Member Member

Love your list. Definitely Agree with bettas! (Love them, One of my Favorites too.)

20. A

Another reason why people have problems with there betta might just be they aren't taking care of it right. Some don't research on the care and rely on rumors or just going to the pet store and buying one of those 2 gallon tank, some food and thats it. Guppies are one of the best beginner fish because they are easily sexed so. It is unless you purposely decide to breed them in which you would add females with males otherwise if it is just males you won't have a problem. Although this isn't true for all the bettas females tend to be more active since they have a more streamlined body then the males. The male bettas are less active(depending on their tail type) due to them having big fins that they have to carry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice