The beginning of ICH?!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by rae64, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

While I was feeding my fin babies this morning, I noticed one of my platies had 2-3 little (TINY) white specs on his tail. Is this maybe the beginning of ICH?!? I do not want my others to catch it if so. I have a QT but the seed filter for it is broken. :( So i have to buy a new filter today, and possibly meds? If it is just the early stages can I possibly just use aquarium salt? I have some on hand. I tried to get pics but it is impossible. Just what I need.... disease. ALSO- my tank is finishing cycling with TSS.... do I need to pick up another fish (probobly a cory cat) on my run to the LFS today if I have to QT my little platy?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

it could be ich or the platy is being nipped....either way, id put the temps up to 84F to catch it early for 2 weeks (if you think it looks like grains of salt)...adding an extra air rock (unless you have one) does best as warmer temps has less oxygen..then do 2 gravel vacs a week to keep the ich spores out of the gravel...once you can visibly see ich(if thats what it is) the entire tank is infested so no need to qt them now.....

at this point I would turn up the heat slowly and leave it be(depending on how far along in the TSS you are) ..how many days do you have left on your TSS ?

3. OP
    OP
    rae64

Tomorrow will be a week on the TSS... Just checked the other fish and after close inspection they have a few specs. It does look like grains of sand/salt. I will start turning the temp up a little and see if it helps. Do I start the gravel vacs as soon as the cycle is done?

4. Shawnie

have you tested at all too see where you stand in the cycle? id go with starting the gravel vacs 1-2 days after your heat is a steady 84-85F

5. OP
    OP
    rae64

I just tested...
    Ammonia- 0 ppm
    Nitrite- .75 ppm
    Nitrate- 10 ppm
    PH- Hard to tell... I think 7.4

6. Shawnie

ok at this point, dont change anything out yet...just wait another day and turn the temps up now....you are so close....if tomorrow or the lastest friday, you dont have a fully cycled tank, id do a small gravel vac (water will change out then also) and continue on ....getting those temps up though is priority right now ...good luck ! and keep the faith..your so close!!!!

7. OP
    OP
    rae64

alright thanks for all the help Shawnie! I have already started to turn up the temp a bit. Raised it a few degrees. I think the high nitrite levels that kinda stressed out the fin babies earlier this week knocked down their immune defenses a bit. Hopefully we will be right back on track soon! Thanks again!

One more thing... I have sand, so do I stick the siphon nozzle in the sand and let it plume up in the nozzle, or do I just skim it across the surface? How much water should I change out?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. Shawnie

im not a sand user as im too anal about cleaning the bottom LOL ....maybe some other sand users can help ..but for now, id skim the surface good ...but again, wait a few days after the temps are up and stable...id stick with just enough water changed out to clean the subtrate fast like...you will only need to do that 2 times a week after the cycle is completed and the temps are stable .. (which I think could be tomorrow of friday) ...

9. OP
    OP
    rae64

thanks shawnie!! :p I think I will skim the surface and make one plume. I like to make plumes for fun. lol. I am so easily amused...

10. OP
    OP
    rae64

This mornings readings looked good. The nitrite has fallen to .25 ppm. Also, the Ich spots have vanished (weird!) But, I walked in tonight after babysitting to find little Moe with clear stringy poop. Is this constipation, or parasites? Or is this normal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice