"the Bag"

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by EndGame, Apr 15, 2017.

1. EndGame

EndGame Valued Member Member

Wanting to order some Purigen.......does anyone have a link to a solid alternative bag to "The Bag"?

I'm interested in Purigen to help reduce tannins from driftwood. Its a non planted tank.

Just looking for a quality product....but trying to save a few bucks too.

2. Jamieson22

Jamieson22 Well Known Member Member

To be honest. you are almost better off buying the 100ml pre-bagged version. I tried Boyd's Chemi-Bags and it ripped after the second recharge. "The Bag" holds 250ml of Purigen but by time you factor that in it is easier to just buy the 100ml.

Kensfish has it for $7.49. They also have best prices on Primer, etc so easy to find a way to hit $50 for free shipping.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can find an aquarium safe mesh bag on Amazon or Ebay pretty easily.

4. OP
    OP
    EndGame

EndGame Valued Member Member

Yeah.....but I've read that the Purigen is bag for leaking out. Perhaps they made it so fine as to "persuade" you into buying theirs

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can find fine mesh bags as well. "The Bag" is just an overpriced mesh bag.

6. max h

max h Well Known Member Member

Nylons can also work if finer mesh is needed.

7. Jamieson22

Jamieson22 Well Known Member Member

Any particular bags? Like mentioned, Chemi-Bags failed on me which for Purigen can be tragic as far as cleanup, not as big a deal for bio-media.

8. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

I have cheap bags found on amazon, ultra fine. There are a few pieces that still come through the mesh, but since I don't mess with it often, a few pieces here and there don't bother me. I'm going to try the pantyhose idea next time I'm messing with them. (I don't leave them in my filters since all my tanks are planted.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice