The Assassin Snail Mystery

Shreyawagle

Reaction score
This is not a question this is just something I witnessed. So I rescaped one of my tanks that was literally killing any snail and shrimp and bottom feeder I put in it cause of a substrate I bought from a random guy (ik it was a huge mistake).
I was finished with the tank last night. Remove all the substrate. (I use soil underneath so yeah, everything!) used the same plants, throughly washed from the previous scape. Used the same driftwood and rocks again washed and treated with h2o2. And put a new substrate (active?) from my lfs who was selling it in kg. I put a few pond snails to test if they survive and they did! :).
So now in the morning I went back to see the tank switched on the light, the pond snails were still active but at the same time I spotted an assassin snail. Now I have never bought an assassin snail before cause I usually keep a lot of nerites, my old scape killed all the snails anyway so it could not be from that setup. The only possible explanation was that it came from the active (?) Substrate I poured directly in the tank.
Now, my lfs was selling the substrate from crate, in loose and it was really dry, like dust flying everywhere when you pour it dry! And it was nowhere near a tank or water supply since the substrate section is on an entire different floor/level of the building. The substrate was also in my bag, dry for about 3-4 days before I decided to dump it in yesterday. if the snail really did come from there I wonder how long that poor guy survived without water. I did have a nerite jump out if the tank once. Found him 12 hrs later completely dry. he went about his way the moment I put him in the tank as if nothing had happened. So , how long can a snail really survive out of water. And if it did not come from there, where could it possibly come from?

Attachments

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hardy little snail... Have no idea where he came from or how long they can last out of water, but I've heard stories of people finding snails that have been out of the tank for 5 days and still being alive.

Shreyawagle

Reaction score
Hardy little snail... Have no idea where he came from or how long they can last out of water, but I've heard stories of people finding snails that have been out of the tank for 5 days and still being alive.
Yeah he might be out for a week or so since the lfs I went to stocks on Friday or Saturday. The crate was almost empty the day I brought so Considering they got the shipment on Friday night, I got him on Tuesday and put him in the tank Friday night. So yeah, more than a week.
Anyway I am just happy to get a free assassin snail. They are not cheap here.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 58 64.4%

Top Bottom