The Angry Platy

1. abovethesink Initiate Member

I've had tons of platies over the years. Now I have four in a 65g with a school of ten bleeding hearts and a L204 pleco. Three of them love the world. They swim with each other and even love to swim with the bleeding heart school around the tank. The other one... not so much. The angry yellow platy spends its time patrolling the bottom level of the tank. Thankfully it is confused and a little scared of the pleco, but if anyone else comes around, he chases it off, platy or tetra. The only time he goes to the top half of the tank is during feeding or when no one is down there to bite. In this case, he swims up to nip someone before swimming back down. No one ever retaliates or seems to care, but this is one angry platy. I've never had one like him.

2. NavigatorBlack Well Known Member Member

I have had individual swordtails like that. Just nasty and antisocial.

3. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

My son's platy fish have suffered this week as the male in the tank appears to be suffering from a form of psychosis... He has killed off all three females and then continues attacking them after death. He killed two overnight and the other by the next afternoon. He's now in a 3 gallon "jar" as my qt is in use since he was going after the 2-3 months old fry. And here I was thinking they were a colorful peaceful fish to start my son on.... Dwarf Cichlids here we come after these fry raise up. Male is going to be taking a trip one way or another on my days off.