The Amazing True Parrot Cichlid

GatlingGun

Hello All, I think this fish is so underrated and absolutely stunning. We need more media on this fish, as all of it is going in favor of the Parrot Cichlid. I would love to keep one of these fabulous cichlids, but I am not sure if I have what it needs.

First thing: does anyone have a good place to get these fish? I found Predatory Fins with them in stock for $65 but they are sold out. Also, they were just juveniles and that's a lot of money for 3 inch fish!

Second thing: Would a 75 gallon be suitable for its entire life... or at least several years? I've heard they can get over a foot long (about 16in), but since they are presumably slow growers I haven't seen any footage of these things over 8-10 inches. I don't have the money for a 125, but that may be a better option, would it be?

Third thing: Tank mates. If I were to keep the True Parrot I would keep him in a 75, so maybe Geophagus or Firemouths? I'm not looking for a lot of aggression, so thinking of calmer tank mates than a Jack Dempsey or a Green Terror.

TClare

Interesting...if I am not mistaken I believe they are a blackwater species and do best with soft, acidic water. I am not sure about tank mates, but I am a fan of festivums and wonder if they would be good as they occupy the higher levels in the tank, rarely going to the bottom, they are reasonably peaceful but able to stand up for themselves. Or maybe some large characins would work? I am also not sure what to advise about tank size. I will be following this thread, hopefully someone will have some experience of these cichlids.

Aquatic arts appear to have them in stock, $80.99 I think that price is for a group of three.

Upvote 0

GatlingGun

Interesting...if I am not mistaken I believe they are a blackwater species and do best with soft, acidic water. I am not sure about tank mates, but I am a fan of festivums and wonder if they would be good as they occupy the higher levels in the tank, rarely going to the bottom, they are reasonably peaceful but able to stand up for themselves. Or maybe some large characins would work? I am also not sure what to advise about tank size. I will be following this thread, hopefully someone will have some experience of these cichlids.

Aquatic arts appear to have them in stock, $80.99 I think that price is for a group of three.
Yes, I’ve seen those on Aquatic Arts but that’s a lot of money. I forgot about Flag Cichlids, but they seem like great fish!

Upvote 0

TClare

Yes, they seem to be difficult to find and expensive, quite a few places say out of stock, including one that supposedly had them for $20. This one has them, but again $68 for one...: True Parrot Cichlid - Hoplarchus psittacus

It might be worth checking out Tangled up in Cichlids, they often have unusual species from what I have seen. They are not listing them at the moment but I think they update their list frequently.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
NanoFish4Life
Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies