the aftermath of an ich infestation

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by festus, Jan 10, 2013.

1. festusNew MemberMember

I have two aquairums that have been set up for years. One is home to tropical community fish and the other is home to my beloved ryukin goldfish. I test the water conditions regularly and everything is where it should be. I recently added new fish to the tropical tank and within a week, the tank was infested with ich. The ich has cleared up now, but I am left with a couple of questions. I use a python siphon to do my weekly water changes. I have been using it every day on the tank with ich to do 25% watch changes as the infestation clears. It's coming time for me to clean my goldfish tank and I do not want to spread the disease to that tank. How should I go about cleaning the python to make it safe to use on the goldfish tank? I will throw out the algae scrubber I used in the tropical tank and start using a separate one for each tank from now on, but the pithon is the one piece of equipment I must use on both tanks. How long can the parasites survive on surfaces once they are out of water? I just really need to make sure my goldie doesn't get sick as a result of sharing the cleaning equipment with the tropical tank. Thank you in advance for any help or information you can provide. I'm glad to have found this forum :;hi1

2. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Simply just because of your attachment which is blatantly clear, I wouldn't even chance it... Now you have nothing to worry about :)

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

How did you treat the ich?

Also, ich is about the easiest of ailments to treat, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, even if you did happen to cross contaminate.

4. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice