The 55G finally set up...

1. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Finally got the 55 G set up like I want it. Right now there's 23 black kuhli loaches(pangio javancus) in it. soon will have a couple of Dojo loaches and some other kind of loach. Haven't decided what to put in for top water yet.
    I put filter media from another filter, rocks and plants from another tank to cycle it. It has a penguin 350 for a filter which I don't really like but it kept me from having to buy a new one :-\ There are bubble wands running from one end to the other down the back behind the rocks, I really like the movement of the water.The top third has a lot of current so whatever goes in for top water will have to like water movement. The loaches like to go behind the rocks and play in the bubbles. ok so heres some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. dahly Member Member

Outstanding Tank! Congratulations on your new addition!

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thank You Glenn!!
    This one is a little different for me, it's not heavily planted and has no back on it so it can be viewed from both sides. The back isn't as pretty as the front in my opinion but hubby likes it ;)
    I thought of Emma when I was taking the pictures, because she likes her kuhlis so much ;D They will actually turn over on their backs trying to take food from each other as you can see in one of the pics.
    I also didn't realize the pictures were so big, probably should have resized them :-[ :D
    Carol

4. dahly Member Member

Big tanks get big pictures! I do love all the caves too. I keep thinking I need holey rock for my "someday" cichlid tank, but it would be a whole lot cheaper to pick up some of the slate just lying around here. Your pictures give me a clue as to how to do it. Thanks! :)

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

We went to a place that sells rocks by the big wire basket and was able to choose which rocks we wanted. Paid about 20 cents a lb and got 80 lbs of rock. yep theres 80 lb of rock in there. ;D
    I put silicone "feet" on the bottom of the first support rocks that were going to touch the bottom glass. Didn't want to take a chance on scratching the glass.Then siliconed each layer as we stacked them. Let it age for about 24 hrs before adding sand and water. By adding the sand after the rocks it (the sand) was able to build up around the bottom rocks and add more support. It was alot of fun to put together and the kuhlis love all the little ledges to lay on.
    Carol

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Wow - nice job Butterfly, that looks sharp!

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

what type of sand did you use because the sand i used for my sisters tank moves around so much

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Really beautiful tank, Carol. :)

Rose

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks everybody!!
    ATM it has pool filter sand in it. Didn't even have to rinse it ;)
    Carol

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

wow awesome! :eek: :eek: those are going to be some very happy loaches with all those rocks and hidey-holes! ;D ;D

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Emma the kuhlis get up in all the cracks between the rocks and peek out . Sometimes all you can see is their head. :D
    Carol

12. joe Member Member

thats a really cool tank. the rocks look great :eek:

Joe

13. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Another one of Carol's tanks! Needless to say it's amazing! I love the setup! These rocks look a bit like slate, are they? And what plants are these attached to the rocks? Am I seeing some Java Ferns in there? Wonderful tank Carol :D

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Isabella it's not slate but just flat mountain stone used in building houses.
    You have a good eye for plants ;) there are plain Java Ferns, Java Fern "windelov",Anubias nana, and Bolbitis heudelotii. There are a couple of small crypts in the sand that aren't doing real well.
    We'll just have to see about those :D
    Other than the 23 kuhlis theres nothing else in the tank yet, when I find the DoJo's I want they will go in and maybe some yoyo's. after that something for the top region that likes alot of water movement. It's still a work in progress ;D
    Carol

15. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Wow!! Setting up a tank is like a whole art project - I love it! How big are those kuhlis?

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Art project indeed! You can't imagine how many times the rocks were put in and taken out to be re - arranged before they were siliconed together ;)
    The kuhlis range from 2-1/2 to 4 inches long. They don't get much over 4 inches I think. They are about as big as a night crawler around.
    Carol

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i envy you my mom wont let me get anymore tanks right now she thinks i spend to much money

18. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks guys!
    Carol