Not open for further replies.
OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I noticed you mentioned being concerned that maybe this thread was not interesting or worthwhile. I hadn't commented before, kind of like talking about somebody else's wife or girl friend, but I had a bit of "tank envy". So much so that it caused me to re-evaluate my main tank and do or at least start some interior decorating. Anyhow, thanks for sharing your tank....fantastic.
Thank you Randyk

I have been known in the past to ramble on a bit (part of being a semi driver ;D) I am glad this is not one of those times. When you finish the redecorating, it would be great to see some photos. I am always looking to better my game, and learn from others.

Randyk47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Randyk

I have been known in the past to ramble on a bit (part of being a semi driver ;D) I am glad this is not one of those times. When you finish the redecorating, it would be great to see some photos. I am always looking to better my game, and learn from others.
Right now I'm looking for the right major decoration, some kind of center or main piece like your dragon. Looked yesterday at the LFS and saw a thing or two but nothing that was unique or unusual. Been looking around and just haven't found that right piece that is attractive and, of course, safe to have in an aquarium. Of course I'll have to figure out live plants one of these days. Forty five years on and off in the hobby and that's one aspect I've never really figured out. :-\

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right now I'm looking for the right major decoration, some kind of center or main piece like your dragon. Looked yesterday at the LFS and saw a thing or two but nothing that was unique or unusual. Been looking around and just haven't found that right piece that is attractive and, of course, safe to have in an aquarium. Of course I'll have to figure out live plants one of these days. Forty five years on and off in the hobby and that's one aspect I've never really figured out. :-\
I would recommend the Anubis. There several very cool types that are easy to grow. Also the java ferns, and there is a fern that I found at PetCo a few months ago that is growing nicely in all of our tanks. I just do not know its name. You do not need root tabs with these as they are leaf feeders. I use Flourish Excel to feed them every day.

This fern is about 5" tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An otto taking care of one of the lace plants.

Been having trouble getting crisp shots of late. I have an appointment with the eye Dr. Monday.

Lilibeth_Seasong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had only seen the very beginning of this thread a while ago, but as I was scrolling through looking at the pictures I was like "WOW!!!"

This tank is a spectacular work of art. You should be proud of yourself! And your fish photography skills are stunning!

You have done an amazing job. I. Love. It. And I really, Really REALLY want angels now...

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had only seen the very beginning of this thread a while ago, but as I was scrolling through looking at the pictures I was like "WOW!!!"

This tank is a spectacular work of art. You should be proud of yourself! And your fish photography skills are stunning!

You have done an amazing job. I. Love. It. And I really, Really REALLY want angels now...
Thank you Lilibeth_Seasong

I am glad you like the thread. Angels have been my favorite fish for a very long time. I have started some big changes that I think will really be nice. I removed the upper shelf and plan to return the 6 year old Anubis to the tank. It is growing right out of the 37 gal tank it is in

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, as I said in the above post I was going to make some changes to the 44. I moved the Anubis back to the 44. It was interesting. When I took ahold of the Anubis to move it, and gave a gentle tug it came free from the point that the baby was growing. It seems that the baby wanted to stay in the tank. It is about 5" tall and growing like a weed The ottos have got the diatoms under control, and should be turning their interest to the algae on the Anubis next. The hair grass did not survive so you will notice that is not in the tank. We are at a 50% loss of the plants from Live aquaria (if you count raw numbers instead of the types it is 90%), I am not at all impressed. But the Madagascar lace plants are thriving so it is not all bad

I am still waiting for the babies tears to come in as well as the half banded kuhlis.

You can see spike in the Ram tank flirting with Fred. The black lace vail took ill last week. We put him in the hospital tank. He lived 5 days and died yesterday

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry it took so long to get the photo of the fern up Carol. This is a quick grab shot no flash.

Monsieurp237

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, as I said in the above post I was going to make some changes to the 44. I moved the Anubis back to the 44. It was interesting. When I took ahold of the Anubis to move it, and gave a gentle tug it came free from the point that the baby was growing. It seems that the baby wanted to stay in the tank. It is about 5" tall and growing like a weed The ottos have got the diatoms under control, and should be turning their interest to the algae on the Anubis next. The hair grass did not survive so you will notice that is not in the tank. We are at a 50% loss of the plants from Live aquaria (if you count raw numbers instead of the types it is 90%), I am not at all impressed. But the Madagascar lace plants are thriving so it is not all bad

I am still waiting for the babies tears to come in as well as the half banded kuhlis.

You can see spike in the Ram tank flirting with Fred. The black lace vail took ill last week. We put him in the hospital tank. He lived 5 days and died yesterday
Like, like, like!!!

As for the hairgrass, I believe we are using the exact same led lighting system, and I have planted hairgrass too. At first, I split (splat?!? Mouhahaha... I love inventing irregular verbs!!!) the hairgrass pot into 6 bunches. Result: 2/3rds of it got brown and died!

So I unplanted everything, picked the live strands, one by one, mind you, and plant it all (was not much left) again, in 8 tiny bunches!

Well, 2 weeks later, IT IS GROWING!

3/4ths have survived, and I get lots of new shoots. By now, the total hairgrass stock has almost doubled!!!

I am soooo glad... That I tend to stare at it to see it grow with my own eyes!

I guess it was a matter of splitting the bunches more, to let them breathe, and being patient!!!

Still your tank looks much more established than mine!

And I abolutely LOVE IT!!!

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like, like, like!!!

As for the hairgrass, I believe we are using the exact same led lighting system, and I have planted hairgrass too. At first, I split (splat?!? Mouhahaha... I love inventing irregular verbs!!!) the hairgrass pot into 6 bunches. Result: 2/3rds of it got brown and died!

So I unplanted everything, picked the live strands, one by one, mind you, and plant it all (was not much left) again, in 8 tiny bunches!

Well, 2 weeks later, IT IS GROWING!

3/4ths have survived, and I get lots of new shoots. By now, the total hairgrass stock has almost doubled!!!

I am soooo glad... That I tend to stare at it to see it grow with my own eyes!

I guess it was a matter of splitting the bunches more, to let them breathe, and being patient!!!

Still your tank looks much more established than mine!

And I abolutely LOVE IT!!!
Thank you Monsieurp
I really appreciate the tips on the hair grass, I will see if I can find some around here, and try it again.
And how in he world is it not in the aquarium f the month ontest?

Uhhhhh?!?
May be when it is done

OP
Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is
Bolbitis heteroclita
Thank you for the ID Carol Is it as prolific as the other java ferns? We have them in all the tanks now. They all seem healthy, but are not really growing all that fast.

EDIT: I just looked it up. They say it is a very slow grower, and is one of the more difficult plants to grow in the aquarium. So I guess I should be happy that they are all still alive after a month and are sprouting new leaves

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for the ID Carol Is it as prolific as the other java ferns? We have them in all the tanks now. They all seem healthy, but are not really growing all that fast.
This is not a type of Java Fern but a type of Bolbitis Like all the plants I've grown with Rhizomes it seems to be a slow grower.

Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.3%

Top Bottom