The 44 project | Page 2

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Thunder_o_b, Apr 6, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The last package of parts came in yesterday. I did not order enough Eco Compeat, so more is on the way. The Marineland plant LED light is so bright that it may not be worth the trouble to put LED lights in the caves. I'll check it out this weekend. The plants that we wanted are back in stock at Dr Foster and Smith so we placed the order late last night. It is a two day delivery, I hope it gets here before Saturday.

2. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well the plants will be shipped on Monday, and get here Wednesday.

Ok, this is the stock so far. The mated pair of angels Fred and Ginger (I call them that because they dance so well when they.... Well, you know :rolleyes a bunch of ottos, a big handful of half banded coolie loaches (if I can find them) and some ADFs. Now, I am having thoughts of having a betta. But am a little concerned that when Fred and Ginger mate again they will put a solid fin wooping on the betta.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. Rosieposie21

Rosieposie21Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Can't wait to see more pictures..

4. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Coming soon

5. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Some of the new gear.

1. The Emperor 400 is a big filter.

2. One of the three Marineland 660 (170 GPH) power heads for the UG filter.

3. This is the Marineland single bright that we were going to use. image

This is the Marineland programable plant LED that we will be using.

5. Single bright.

6. Same camera settings with the programable plant LED. A bit brighter. May have to have custom sunglasses made for the fish.

7. With the settings set for proper exposure, you can still see that the shadows are much less with the plant LED.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Finishing the final prep before installing the filters and the water. I think that I can work it out that I can use the stock configurations. But I stopped at the hardware store and have the parts if I need to do a custom pluming job. We went to the V-Rcok shop and I found some very nice amethyst and quartz. We then went to Pat Catans and I found some very nice crystal beads. I have a plan the plants should be here Wednesday. I am about to do the final cleaning of the tank and applying the BG. I will post some shots soon. I still have to figure out how to work the shelving. Oh, the second round of Eco Complete came today. Stay tuned

7. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The 44 is in the next stage. All the filtration is up and running. I used an inch of the original gravel over the filter plate before putting the Eco Complete in. The Eco Complete was to small to put directly on the filter plate. I took the fluval bio max that was in the Magnum 350 that I used to help cycle the 29, and put it into the clam baskets of the Emperor. Just added the clear ammonia, and the cycle begins

A.

B.

C.

8. Rosieposie21

Rosieposie21Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Gosh this tank is going to be amazing!

9. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I sure hope so

10. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Checked the Ammonia level this AM, it is well over the 8ppm of the chart. May have been a bit heavy handed when I added it. Hopefully it is not too much for the BB to handle. I have never heard that amount of ammonia would be harmful to the BB. But I will recheck in a couple of days, and if it has not come down any I will do a small water change and add more seed BB from one of the other tanks.

11. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    While I am waiting for the cement to cure on the shelves (I had to modify them) I thought I would get the crystals wet and see how they look under the plant LED lights. The placement is not at all where they will be in the end, just wanted to get an idea what I am dealing with. The crystal beads will be loose and not on the string. I have to say I like the way they look. You can not see the way they shimmer in the Marineland lights, the light has a shimmer effect that is very cool

12. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Got an email yesterday from Dr Foster and Smith, the plants have been shipped and should be here today :;bananawater

I finally found the piece that I need for the gem stones and crystals beads, I think this is going to be the best tank I ever did. I still have a long way to go in finishing the design of the aquascaping, but also far it is coming together nicely

13. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Got the plants on Wednesday from Dr Foster and Smith. they are all in good shape. Not happy with the snails but a good salt dip will handle that. I was bummed that the main reason I placed the order was that the baby's tears were back in stock, and some how they did not register when I placed the order. The good news is that I called my LFS and asked my buddy if he can order them, and he said he just did and they will be in the middle of next week. He will hold 3-4 for me
    They had a bunch of coolies in last week. If they still have them I will grab a handful for the QT. I am going to wait for a bit on the ottos, want the tank to have a chance to grow lunch for the little guys, can't have them starving.

It seems the 44 has cycled. I checked the water last night and it was ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 30(ish). I added more ammonia just to be sure. Looks like Fred, and Ginger will be back in the 44 by Sunday

14. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +313
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Good morning Thunder,

Congrats on the progress and the cycle! Looking forward to more updates.

I think Dr.s Foster/Smith may have had website issues recently. I placed an order and I didn't receive the Garlic Guard that I declare I ordered, it wasn't on the packing list either and I wasn't charged for it. Looking back on the order, the Garlic Guard didn't show at all yet I have it on my list as ordered. Hmmmm ???

Ken

15. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you Ken
    I was going order the baby's tears again, but after the selection did not show up in the cart after three tries I gave up.

That being said, all the items I ordered from the parent site got here just fine.

16. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, an aquarium is never really done, but this one is well on its way. I am waiting for the sun to go down to get some pictures, there is sun glare on the glass. But I will give you a hint, its name is the Dragons lair.

17. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It is my pleasure to present to you the Dragon's Lair. This will be an evolving tank. The madagascar lace plant is just a bulb with a couple of sprouts. The baby's tears are coming this week, and the other plants are all immature. The water is a bit fuzzy from the tannins leaching out of the second piece of drift wood in the back (there is a nice big open area behind it so there is a private place for the fish). These shots are available light. I wanted you to see it the way it looks to the eye. I will be adding another plant LED. There is one along with a single bright LED on there now but it is not enough light. There are several other things that I want to do. I will post shots as things progress.

1. To the left you can see Fred, and Ginger.

3. guarding his treasure.

18. Monsieurp237

Monsieurp237Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    1 year
    Woah...

Not a fan of aquariums that do not seem natural...

... Found an exception!

I still have that golden nuggets bottle if you want it!!!

;

Yeah, this is fantastic, in all its meanings!!!

Hats off!!!

19. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thank you Monsieurp

This year is the first time in the 50 years I have had aquariums (started at age 5) that I have used things like the dragon. We now have three tanks with this type of thing in them. It has been an interesting project.

20. Butterfly

ButterflyFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +118
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Beautiful just beautiful! I have Crystals I use in my tanks occasionally depending on what I have in the tank. Have to watch the sharp edges.

I think you will love the Kuhlis too they really add movement to the bottom and occasionally everywhere else too LOl

You were right to wait on the otos until the tank matures but when it does (a couple of months down the road) they will be a cool addition.

Love the pictures- Keep us updated please
    carol