The 44 project

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Thunder_o_b, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

*I asked to have the title of this thread changed. The 44 is going to be an involved project with several custom applications. I have had to come up with a re-routing of the intake of the Marineland Emperor filter that I think will be interesting. Also because I was not able to find anything suitable I will be designing and building my own LED lighting for the caves and dark spots. Some will involve large crystals if they have what I need at the V-Rock Shop. I will be going there this weekend. That is where Sunhawk got the large amethyst she gave me that is in the 37 gal tank. If I do it right the LEDs should really bring the crystals alive. Stay tuned*

The repair to the 44 is complete. I just filled it with well water. It will sit for a week, and if it holds I will drain it down, put in the UGF, substrate, external filter, aquascaping, treated RO water, and ammonia to start the cycle.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

There, now it makes sense…. Can't believe I put the wrong photo in at first.

3. ZombieKeepr

ZombieKeeprWell Known MemberMember

Very neat! Hope it is fully fixed for you! What are the plans for it?

4. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

The mated pair of angels will be returned to the 44. The other angels that were in there with them will stay where they are now, in with the rams. I am planing to have a 10 strong school of ottos, a school of
    10 glass cats, 5 or so half banded coolie loaches and a herd of 7 corys. Not sure which corys, but they will be corys.

As you can see in the shot I am working with shelving. It is still in the design stage, but this tank will have lots of plants in the shelves. I will be trying my hand at a Madagascar lace plant in a mid level shelf. There will be babies tears that I want to grow in an over flow from one of the shelves along with many other plants through out the aquscape. I really want to stay away from CO2 injection so I will be using Eco complete along with Mirineland Plant LED lighting. I may have to do submerged LED lighting, we will see. The filtration will be UG with Marineland powerheads, and a Emperor 400 HOB.

5. endlersallday

endlersalldayValued MemberMember

Beautiful custom tank! Here's to having the water hold!

6. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow!!! I love the tank and can't wait to see all your plants in there. I've been in love with the madagascar lace plant for a long time, but didn't feel I had the best setup for them.

How exciting to have such a gorgeous tank!

7. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you endlersallday :)
    I picked up this tank around 25 years ago. My ex gave me a bad time over having aquariums. So I got rid of the tanks, but I just could not part with this one. Fast forward a few years, I was single again and Sunhawk found me on the net, after 27 years we were back together, and she was into fish keeping :;banana1

After we were married she encouraged me to set up the 44 again. It had sat in the basement for several years so I did a leak test…It leaked. I did a repair (not the best of jobs) and it held water for 9 years. It sprang a leak in Jan. This time I removed all the sealant in the two front seams and cleaned all the glass in the seams with rubbing alcohol. Life sure has its funny little twists.

Thank you shayla :)
    The great Anubis (great as in size) that is in the 37 gal was raised in this tank. I thought about putting it back, but it looks too good in the 37 to be moved. I have been toying with growing a Madagascar lace plant for many years. But they are said to be the hardest of the aquarium plants to keep. I really hope that I can grow it without CO2 injection. I think even Sunhawk is beginning to wonder about the money going into all this…But when I showed her the plans for the 403 gal I would like to build she did not say no, just that the house must be leveled and the floor reenforced first :;th

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

After checking Fish Lore and having some cold pizza for breakfast (Sunhawk makes a great pizza) I checked the 44, still dry :)

9. krazyone2006

krazyone2006Well Known MemberMember

nice tank i had a 60g hex a few years ago that got shattered in a move i loved that tank can't wait to see the lace good luck with it

10. SW5

SW5Well Known MemberMember

Very nice tank. I can't wait to see it all set up with fish and plants in it!!! ;)

11. Katy82

Katy82Well Known MemberMember

Well, it is done.

Tank looks greats. I've got my fingers crossed that the seal will hold for you.

I'm sure it will look just as amazing as all your other tanks :)

12. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you krazyone :) It is hard to have a tank brake :( I was wrestling with a cousin when I was very young, and put my head into my aquarium. What a mess. We had very little money so in order to stay in fish I glued all the broken pieces back in place. That 5 gal held its water for several years till I earned enough money to move up to a ten.

Thank you SW5 :)

It will be a while before it is ready for fish, but I am hopeful that this will be my finest effort…We'll see….

13. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Katy :)
    I am fairly excited. The job is working me to death but the up side is I have the spare cash to treat my very advanced case of MTS.

14. SW5

SW5Well Known MemberMember

I'm sure it will be brilliant when the time comes to stock it. :)

15. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

:)

16. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Don't you LOVE MTS! I've gotten my husband addicted enough that he just bought me a new tank so we could raise our baby Sparkling Gouramis in it. Gotta love it when your wife/ husband joins in with the love of tanks!

17. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Yup, it really helps when you both have the same loves in life. Sunhawk is into photography, Harleys and archery as well….Who could ask for more :D

18. endlersallday

endlersalldayValued MemberMember

Sounds like you have both a lovely wife and an amazing tank in the near future! Lucky you!

I think you could do a Madagascar lace plant as long as you had good lighting and didn't mind dosing fertilizers just right. They don't need a cO2 system to grow, just diligence. I think with how long you've been keeping fish you ought to at least give it a shot! Growing difficult plants is just as much fun and rewarding as having the fish to look at!

19. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I am indeed blessed.
    I have been looking into the lace plant, and was happy to have found that there is a lot of myth and legend surrounding it that is flat out incorrect. As soon as the two orders with the power heads, Emperor filter, Eco Compleat, plant LED and other stuff come in I will order the plants, and a month from then I will move the fishies in :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  20. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I have made a new intro to this thread you may want to read.