The 44 Project Reprise

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, It has been a couple of years since that horrid product Echo Complete destroyed a setup that took a lot of time and money to pull off. In some ways it was the best aquarium I ever did. (yeah, just a little bitter)

But moving on, I just finished the first stage of a redo. The filtration is way low. I am running only one magnum 350. It has been running on Sunhawk's 55 for a month. I will be adding another filter to get the flow to 600 GPH or so soon.

A shipment of plants will be arriving the middle of next week.

Right now it is home to 1 large female gold marble angel (Prissy, she was none too happy about the move) 1 male orange twin tail swordtail, 9 ghost shrimp (doubt they will live) and the start of a school of false julii. There are 4 of them. I will be upping them to 8 or so next week.

I also will be moving our golden wonder killi (her name is Kelly fish ) if and when I can catch her. That is not an easy thing to do in the 150 tall.

Phase 1. The RO/DI water has been treated with SeaChem Equilibrium (the haze and white powder) Flourish, Flourish Excel and black water extract. A full dose of Stability was also added.
_MG_7554.0.jpg

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is a sick looking pentagon tank, I never saw the appeal but that makes me want one. How did Eco complete ruin your tank (I have it so now im shaking in my boots :eek

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a sick looking pentagon tank, I never saw the appeal but that makes me want one. How did Eco complete ruin your tank (I have it so now im shaking in my boots :eek
Thank you Terabyte That is a very old aquarium. At least 20 years old.

Don't shake too much. There are people that have had good luck with it.

When I used it (several years ago) there was a common issue (There were other members here) with a light green sheet slime that rapidly covered everything. One posted photos of bags in stores where you could see it in the bag. I hope they solved the issue. But I can not bring myself to give it another try.

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you Terabyte That is a very old aquarium. At least 20 years old.

Don't shake too much. There are people that have had good luck with it.

When I used it (several years ago) there was a common issue (There were other members here) with a light green sheet slime that rapidly covered everything. One posted photos of bags in stores where you could see it in the bag. I hope they solved the issue. But I can not bring myself to give it another try.
Oh geeeez I might be having that issue :| . The substrate constantly has a sort of brownish algae covering about 70% of the gravel

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh geeeez I might be having that issue :| . The substrate constantly has a sort of brownish algae covering about 70% of the gravel
If it is a new aquarium that is newly set up there is a good chance it is diatoms. Is it on anythine else in the aquarium?

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it is a new aquarium that is newly set up there is a good chance it is diatoms. Is it on anythine else in the aquarium?
It is a little over 2 months now. I've got a pretty light stocking, but I do have a full grown bn plec and a pitbull plec (LDA25)

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, phase 2.

Some plants are in. The center front is a young Madagascar lace of the red variety. On the right from the Madagascar is an ocelot sword. To the left in the back are green myrio, crypts and chain swords. To the right is a sword that was not doing well in a low light aquarium. Be hind it is a grove of red myrio and a baby dragon There are several Anubis as well.

I am considering putting in some staurogyne repens as ground cover. The lights are strong but 2 gen back from the lights we have started using. We will see how it goes.

The aquarium is fully stocked (I seeded a mag 350 canister for a month on a 55, I have another Magniflow 360 on its way)

There are:

1. 10 Julii corys

2. A handful of ghost shrimp.

3. A male twin tail orange swordtail.

4. Two gold rams.

And Prissy As you can see she is a big girl. The 55 she was in was not a good fit for her.
There still is a lot of work to do. The glass inside needs a good cleaning. I am still working on the idea for the background. I am leaning to plain black.
_MG_7571-Edit.0.jpg

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Phase 3. A quick grab shot. The Madagascar lace got too big so it was moved to Sunhawk's 55.
The chains are doing quite well.

_MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom