The 140L thread

Discussion in 'Everythingzen' started by Everythingzen, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

What a drama this tank has been!
    It is finally aquascaped to my liking. I had no plans for it, letting it just evolve over time. It now has a 3d stone looking background, simple plants, an incredible centerpiece 5 plant java fern driftwood (that I am indebted to stefjane for the plants for!), scattered smooth river stones, a driftwood cave, a sandstone rock cave, and lastly the Easter island head - the only artificial thing in there. :)

The fish have changed a little. The 10 original cherry barbs are still going strong! One of the males was a little off looking a month or so back so I removed the carbon, dosed the tank with a multi cure, and blacked it out for 3 days with no food. The 4th day showed much more life in the male and all the barbs, for that matter. Whatever it was passed with no further issue. The 2 angels... Ugh. The started off as 2 sweet, pretty young females who flourished, much to my delight. They grew so well, their fins were wonderful, their colour was great. Then stripey got a little teenage attitude. A bump slowly grew on the forehead and what do you know, a hierarchy. Sigh. These 2 are inept at breeding, hopeless as a couple, and otherwise very exhausting! Stripey despises Happy, the killi, and shiney despises stripey, her partner. It used to work though, before they grew up. Gary the Gourami died a little while back. It was sudden and without any warning. Perhaps DG disease? I lost about 4 peppered cories while trying to establish a school, and at different times 2 juvenile BN plecos. I now have 2 plecos doing really well in the QT tank, but that might be a thread on it's own, that tank! Lastly is 4 CAE. I wanted otos. 2 have become really fat and the other 2 are still slim. Why do all my aggressive fish thrive?? This tank is a study in natural selection I swear.

Anyway, one thing which has amused me is ever since I introduced the very first catfish to this tank, the barbs have all developed identity confusion. Suddenly they're bottom feeder, suddenly they love algae wafers, suddenly they eat cauliflower!! The cories hang with the barbs, and the barbs certainly hang with the cories. It's very strange. And amusing. Lol.

2. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

3d? Sounds interesting. I Would like to see photo's. :D

3. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

I'll get some pics very soon :)
    The pants are looking ratty. I don't keep any plants well! My sister and mum are the green thumbs in my family, haha.

4. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

This tank may be cursed. The second oto has died after about a month. So annoyed. I'm not going to try them again. I must have very hardy fish in there already because they just don't get ill. All newcomers end up dead though. So very odd. I'm hoping to get a tank for the angels so they can grow old and grumpy without friends. I think they'll be much happier on their own. Maybe I'll get my cories again one day. Anyway, that's the only update.the second oto died, and it's annoyed me no end.

5. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

Wow, this tank has evolved!

To date, it is home to my two old angels. They're going to live out their remaining time in here. I have an odd assortment of guppies, with occasional fry surviving. I'll need to move on with the guppies sooner or later or they'll end up horribly inbred. I have the funkiest BN pleco in here. His name is Benny and he's great! He's about 6-7cm with a huge nose of bristles. I've decided I'm getting him a girlfriend. Maybe an albino. I've put his log back in today. With a pretty girl and lots of caves... I can only hope! And lastly, my darling little cories. I am so thrilled my gorgeous little peppered kids are laying eggs everywhere. So far no luck with any producing babies, but I can be patient. I've got a few more peppered, albino and bronze cories now. I think there's about 10 all up. They're brilliant little fish. Love them. When my DG in the other tank dies, I'll move this DG to his tank and possibly the algae eaters, so this can be a cat only tank. I'll put lots of caves and such around and see what happens. It will be good to get this tank back up to speed!

6. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

OK, so this tank is again different to what I wrote above.
    I lost one of my dear old angels, as described in a thread about my angel with prolapse. The male is now happy in the large tank. He and the younger pair really get on now. It's so odd. They couldn't be housed together when the pairs were together, but now Shiney is gone and the younger two are so patient with poor old Stripey.
    So the 140L now houses the two very happy plecos, who just keep breeding. :D It also has a happy mixed school of bronze and peppered cories, who also love leaving eggs everywhere! It has the 4 SAE, also. They're a happy fish. All they care about is food, lol. The vegetarians in this tank are great for leaving the fry alone. This is a happy tank. Only daddy plec gets cranky, but I figure that's because he doesn't sleep. I might give him a rest soon and put the female in the other tank so he can break from fanning and raising. I hope some fish shops will take some of these fry when they're bigger. I'll be overrun soon. Livebearers have nothing on these plecos of mine!

In good news, I had misplaced a textbook that I knew was in a place it was supposed to be. I checked my study area, I checked my large bookshelves, I checked my bedside. I don't leave books laying around usually. I was browsing on here just earlier, and had a flash of bright idea, lol. I use some shelves, primarily for the 140L tank, to also hold random books. Relief, it was there. I wonder Vold's riveting ideas have helped keep daddy pleco awake while he fans eggs?
    :rolleyes: