Thats a Big Number

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bettaguy17, Mar 28, 2010.

1. B

Bettaguy17 Valued Member Member

Hello Everyone!

I was calculating the price of my tank and it is a total of: $344.62. My dad isnt really buying that price (pun? lol) but im trying to explain to him that it includes all of this:

The Tank ($149.00)
    8 feet of airline tubing ($2.50)
    Fish ($99.85)
    An Air Pump ($9.99)
    Filter Cartriges (8 Pack- $15.00)
    That stick on thermomiter thingy ($2.50)
    10 Gallon Tank Divider ($9.99)
    Heater ($18.00)
    Decor(Including Rocks- $31.00)

And a few other stuff, and that EVEN INCLUDED GIFTS and 3 fish my friend is willing to give me, Is that really expensive for all that? What can I do to convince him to buy that stuff? Remember its for my birthday.....

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What size tank?

3. OP
    OP
    B

36 Gallons with expensive fish haha

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming that it is all brand new I would consider that fairly expensive. Then again, I spent over $1000 setting up a 55gal once. :)

5. OP
    OP
    B

Well actually its 3 tanks worth of fish, which are still expensive, there not ALL going into the 36 gallon, but there are 3 tanks worth of fish

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

thats way to much money and it doesn't even have a filter in the list.. why do you need a 10Gallon Tank Divider for a 36 gal tank? what good is 3 tanks worth of fish if you have one tank?..jmho

7. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

What type of fish are these "expensive fish" ?

8. OP
    OP
    B

Well its a startet kit so it has a filter and heater with it. I have 3 tanks so thats why im getting 3 tanks worth of fish, and two of them are 10 gallons so that explains the divider and yea... the expensive fish are cichlids, and other agressive fish (at least $5 for each here) and alot of community fish that total up to be 70$

9. platy ben

$100 of fish in 56 gallons of water, a lot of cichlids won't thrive in a 36G, could be more specific with the cichlids species and aggressive fish?

10. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Lol, I know the feeling of expences...I have calculated that the 120gal tank I've been eyeing at one of my LFS is going to charge me around $800....XD This sure is one expensive hobby sometimes, but more then worth it for our fin babys.

11. Nutter

Too much. Way too much. Especially for a starter kit. I spent less than that doing the 63gal in my sig & that includes new tank, filter, heater, air pump, lights, eco-complete, plants, wood , rocks & fish as well as a few other goodies. As for $70 worth of fish, that might be alot to you at the moment but you will soon discover that you can pay several times that amount for one fish. I couldn't even half stock a tank for $70.

I reckon you should find a better deal.

12. platy ben

Yep, much to much, I just calculated, I spent about half that setting up my 45G planted angel tank, and thats including the price of the tank.

13. Furallicah

My only question is why do you want a 10gal divider?

14. Nutter

I think one of the 10gals recieves the divider.

15. Furallicah

Oh..lol duh XD

16. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Ok everytime I see someone interested on getting Cichlids and don't specify what kind makes me think that the info about fish needs is not getting out to the public or they are been fed with the wrong info. Ok BettaGuy17 here is some links that may help you find the fish that are good candidates for those tanks. Hoping you're not getting the fish the same day you set up everything because that will be a lot of money down the drain.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice