That was fun while it lasted...

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I know I wanted to re-do a lot of things in my tank now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, but I didn't realize it would be by tearing it down and starting over.

I noticed a few days ago that the bottom of the stand (the piece of 48"x18" wood that the filter, etc. sit on) had started to bow in the middle. Today I noticed the giant crack in the attached picture.

I'm going to have to rip it all down and replace the stand before I dump 90 gallons of water all over my floor.

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OUCH!! thats totally frustrating..but glad you found it before it was filled!!

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's like my worst fear, the stand breaking, or the tank springing a leak.

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ouch Mathas that must have been a heart stopper when you saw it, im so sorry its happned. has any progress been made with fixing/replacing it?

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
has any progress been made with fixing/replacing it?
Sort of! I've been monitoring the crack very closely since I noticed it, and it hasn't spread at all, so I don't think I'm in any immediate danger of a collapse.

Thankfully, the manager at the LFS near where I work is pretty cool. He contacted the All-Glass rep and explained what happened, and the rep said if I took pictures and called them, they'd provide me an email address to send the pictures to so they could send me a new stand. When I mentioned that if this one cracked in less than a year, I'm not sure I really want another stand like that, the LFS guy said to have it shipped to their store, and they'd take the price off a sturdier stand.

I've been trying to find a temporary tank I can use to hold most of my fish (some will go back to the store) while I tear down the 90 and rebuild it, and I finally got one last night! I found a used 55g with stand on Craigslist that I picked up last night for $75. I'll start giving it a very thorough cleaning this weekend, and move the fish over after I'm satisfied that it's clean.

I have some fairly dramatic changes planned for the 90g since I'm tearing it down anyway, so there will be some (hopefully) interesting threads coming in the next couple of months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom