That Moment When

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by amydeb, Jul 25, 2015.

1. amydebValued MemberMember

You do a large water change (to change some things around) and fill your tank. Then FOUR hours later, have a moment of sheer panic because you don't remember adding water conditioner.....

I was out of my chair and half way to the tank when I remembered doing it. My mind is going. I blame it on having teenagers.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Lol, that sort of stuff happens to me while doing other things haha! I do something and then can't remember after a while whether or not I left something out lol!

And hey, it's not our fault!!!!! Us teens keep you guys young! ;)

3. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

Well, when I first started with fish keeping I never added any water conditioner, surprisingly my guppies survived for a while, now I add prime every time :D

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Same here, had a betta in a gallon bowl and didn't think I needed it, that it was just more ways for those "fish guys" to make more money so I didn't bother till I started researching about fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I'm actually still questioning whether or not it's really bad to keep them in decent sized bowls (3 gallons or more), mine never got sick in a bowl.

Back to the subject though, I think I was filling up a pot of water to cook rice in once and felt the urge to add water conditioner.......... *sigh*

6. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

I try to do my WC when I'm alone in the house - fewer distractions. (And I don't have to worry about conditioning as I am on a well.)

7. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

I DO forget my conditioner, I've wait an hour or so for the water to get to the right temp in my bucket, then just as I'm about to start my water change when I realize I forgot to add conditioner to the bucket . Luckily my conditioner works fast :)

8. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

In the "olden days" we just let the water sit in a bucket for 24 hours and then did the WC. No conditioner at all.

9. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

They live in small puddles, I have seen many healthy Betta's in bowls, that being said, the bigger the better..

In my first malawi tank I never used any conditioner at all, the only thing I used was the conditioner to trigger a fast "cycle" process and it worked well..

But then again, it might be because the tab water in my country is superb.. But again, never had any troubles at all and the malawi's was healhty for 5 years before I had to give them away :/

I guess it depends on alot of factors, tab water quality, the type of fish and if they are wild caught
    or not

10. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

DrShal, Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Alison

11. DrSahl

Ty alot :) I've stalked it alot, also back when I had my malawi tank, people seem very friendly in here and the advice I have gotten have been great so far.

12. OP
    OP
    a

amydebValued MemberMember

Alone in the house!? Like, with no spouse, kids, friends, kid's friends....? How is this even a thing? If I was alone in my house I'd probably be running around like Tom Cruise in the first part of "Risky Business" :;banaman
    All kidding aside, I usually can "do my tank thing" without too many people bugging me. I think it might have been that I ran out of the water conditioner I had and switched to Prime. Instead of counting out capfulls, it was one and a half!

13. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

I blame it on having great-grand children! Seriously, I keep my Prime, Flourish, API test kit, etc in the same 5 gal container to help remind me.

14. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore.
    They also live in largish ponds/rice paddies in the wild, too....

Just because a creature is living in a situation does not mean they are thriving in it. A betta in a small puddle is likely a very temporary site. And it's not happy there.
    Take this as an example: are homeless people thriving? No.

15. Scoutsfish

ScoutsfishWell Known MemberMember

It could've been worse! Earlier this summer, I was doing a quick wc before I went out of town that morning. I still had some things to pack, some after I drained the tank, I added conditioner and began filling it(Python water changer). Then I went about my business packing and getting ready... All of a sudden I began to panick and rushed into the room with the tank to see it overflowing all over the floor... It got all the plugs wet, the wall, under the tank light, just about everything. So there I am running to turn the water off, wipe up the mess, then figure out how to get the tank turned on again since it through the circuit. Found the breaker and switched it back on(after blow drying all the plugs) and it still works! Lesson learned..:

Another time, I was draining the same tank, almost done(25g) when I went to check on the faucet where the water changer is hooked up. The carpet outside of the bathroom was wet and as soon as I opened the door I saw the mess. Water alllll over the bathroom, all in the cabinets, the floor, the carpet outside, in the drawers. The sinks plug was 90% down so it wasn't draining fast enough. "Yay" best part? We had just restained our cabinets like 3 days before... I don't even know how many towels I had to use for that one!

Luckily my parents/family haven't found out about either of those incidents or they probably would be less willing to let me have the tanks:)

16. DrSahl

Indeed thats why I said the bigger the better, no matter what we do we will never be able to fully mimic nature, but atleast we can try to make sure they have a good life. With all that being said, I rather see a person have a Betta in a large bowl and take very good care of it, then having someone mistreat it in a 20 gallons IE. But my own rule of thumb is bigger is always better..

I am making a new tank atm and I skipped alot of fish, even if the pet stores I come and some "sites/forums" suggest its ok..

I like most of your post and agree, but the last part.. I try not to make examples like that, because they are often made to support the point of view you want to make and often they have nothing to do with the topic..

But I am no expert, I am fairly novice tbh, 5 years with malawi's, axolotl and Betta's is the only real exprience I have.. but one thing I have noticed is, that the most common problems are overstocking and breaking from the basics, such as water changes etc.

.. I might add that I don't think its a good idea to hold Betta's in cups, small bowls etc and not even normal bowls if you are able to get bigger.. The Betta's I've had was in a 15 gallon tank (had two).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice