That Fish Place, That Pet Place

Robinn

Hello!

I thought I'd make a short little review on my trusted LFS. I'll be making two sections, one for fish and one for hamsters.

This pet store is located in Lancaster, PA; a county near the Mason-Dixon Line.

-Fish-
Stock- I honestly haven't looked around their fish stock much but I'll be sure to tomorrow! I hear they have a lot. Their plant stock isn't anything special but they do have some nice general options for starters They have a medium sized room (about the size of a room in a doctor's office, maybe bigger) of walls covered in ~20-40g tanks with a species or two in each tank.
I personally haven't gotten anything live yet but I will update this then
Supplies- they have a great natural gravel selection, but I'd go to petco for anything colorful. A nice amount of nano tanks but I'm not sure they stock your standard aqueon tanks, I'll have to check. Lots of 100g+ tanks with stands though. Lots of cool fake plants and hides and they have a bunch of large crates full of aquarium rocks. They also have driftwood, although it's in the reptile section right as you head in; you can't miss it (the are made for aquariums btw). They also have plenty of test kits and other chemicals.
Staff knowledge- ha I'm a bit shy to ask but I'll see when I get my live stuff
Overall-- would recommend, it's definitely better than Petco/Petsmart.

-Hamsters (and rodents in general)!-
Stock- ugghhh.... let me say a few things. Hamsters sometimes have wire wheels. I'll see what food they give; probably oxbow tbh. Enclosures are smaller than petco's. There's a Flemish Giant who lives in a slightly covered wire bottom cage, although the cage is kinda big. They sell ferrets, but the have an open topped unsupervised playpen that connects to a ferretnation like cage. Mice cages are same as hamsters'. I don't think they stock any other rodents, maybe gerbils. They sometimes have rats for adoption in the adoption area.
Supplies- Fantastic!! They're the only place around me who sells boxo, which I gotta say is my favorite bedding ever. Nice hay selection if you get yours in store. They do have a section with store bought cages (mostly Kaytee), but of course don't buy those lol. Nice amount of bedding colors, but nothing fantastic. Lots of great natural toys. Good wheel selection if you don't buy online (Silent Spinner lover here). Food selection is ok from what I remember; idk I buy online
Staff knowledge- probably tbh, seeing the live area.
Overall- supplies is AWESOME, livestock is not. Go ask for a pet from the back room of a petco or adopt from a shelter

I hope this helps out anyone in the area!

~Robin

86 ssinit

That fish place has been around forever. In the 80s before the internet they had a mail order book with all the supplies they sold. You would call in orders (can you imagine). Allways great prices.

Smalltownfishfriend

Hello!

I thought I'd make a short little review on my trusted LFS. I'll be making two sections, one for fish and one for hamsters.

This pet store is located in Lancaster, PA; a county near the Mason-Dixon Line.

-Fish-
Stock- I honestly haven't looked around their fish stock much but I'll be sure to tomorrow! I hear they have a lot. Their plant stock isn't anything special but they do have some nice general options for starters They have a medium sized room (about the size of a room in a doctor's office, maybe bigger) of walls covered in ~20-40g tanks with a species or two in each tank.
I personally haven't gotten anything live yet but I will update this then
Supplies- they have a great natural gravel selection, but I'd go to petco for anything colorful. A nice amount of nano tanks but I'm not sure they stock your standard aqueon tanks, I'll have to check. Lots of 100g+ tanks with stands though. Lots of cool fake plants and hides and they have a bunch of large crates full of aquarium rocks. They also have driftwood, although it's in the reptile section right as you head in; you can't miss it (the are made for aquariums btw). They also have plenty of test kits and other chemicals.
Staff knowledge- ha I'm a bit shy to ask but I'll see when I get my live stuff
Overall-- would recommend, it's definitely better than Petco/Petsmart.

-Hamsters (and rodents in general)!-
Stock- ugghhh.... let me say a few things. Hamsters sometimes have wire wheels. I'll see what food they give; probably oxbow tbh. Enclosures are smaller than petco's. There's a Flemish Giant who lives in a slightly covered wire bottom cage, although the cage is kinda big. They sell ferrets, but the have an open topped unsupervised playpen that connects to a ferretnation like cage. Mice cages are same as hamsters'. I don't think they stock any other rodents, maybe gerbils. They sometimes have rats for adoption in the adoption area.
Supplies- Fantastic!! They're the only place around me who sells boxo, which I gotta say is my favorite bedding ever. Nice hay selection if you get yours in store. They do have a section with store bought cages (mostly Kaytee), but of course don't buy those lol. Nice amount of bedding colors, but nothing fantastic. Lots of great natural toys. Good wheel selection if you don't buy online (Silent Spinner lover here). Food selection is ok from what I remember; idk I buy online
Staff knowledge- probably tbh, seeing the live area.
Overall- supplies is AWESOME, livestock is not. Go ask for a pet from the back room of a petco or adopt from a shelter

I hope this helps out anyone in the area!

~Robin
I love it. The staff is very knowledgeable the ones I have talked to any way! Their stock is great! They have a great selection of live plants, and the saltwater selection is huge. As for the rodents and such, they do keep the pens very clean. They let the huge lop bunny out every day for exercise. I would definitely give it a five star!!!

Basil

Its about an hour drive for me but I’ve gone a few times.
Only purchased fish and fish supplies there. Most of the fish are healthy although I wasn’t impressed with how the cherry barbs or the albino tiger barbs looked last time. The staff seem super knowledgeable.
Waiting for a certain fish to come back in stock and I’ll be heading up again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alauruin
  • bettaf1sh 7789
  • Rodent
Replies
Views
bettaf1sh 7789
  • Question
  • Aquariumlover1357
  • Rodent